• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Phazer Burnt to a pile of ashes this weekend

mine too

My 07 Phazer FX burnt to the ground as bad or worse than yours did I was riding one night and it was real cold it was probably like 5 below zero and it was acting like it was hot but i thought there is no way it can be overheating when its this cold and it had no power i figured mabey the motor was ready to blow but after a little more riding my face started to get cold so i started slowing to a stop when i looked down my left leg was completely covered in flames (burnt my snopants only the laft side) I got away from it and it was almost instantly covered in flames.i have pics i got off my cell phone of it burning looks exact same as yours and i will put some pics on here in a couple days of what the remains look like but the ramains look the exact same as well. But My insurance screwed me over on this and I am know stuck with the loan still and no sled to show for it. We should contact yamaha about this they def. have a issue here and see if we can get some help from them. any info PLEASE contact me (906)370-4611 My name is Joe i'm 19 and i hate not having a sled to ride specially when I have a monthly payment I still have to make on the pile of scrap in my garage.

I was riding through the woods the other day when I wen't through a area with some saplings. AQ small twig got cought inder my ignition key shutting off my sled. I tried to turn the key on to restart but it was stuck. I messed around with it for a few minutes and it started to loosen up. I pulled the key out and put it back in opposite of it previous position and it seemed to be fine. I restarted the motor and off rode. I got about 3 miles down the logging road I was on and the motor started to hessitate so I stopped and I smelled something burning so I shut it off quickly and smoke was seeping out of the left side up under the plastic by the gas tank. At that point stepped away because I didnt wan't an explosion to hurt me. We watched the sled for a few moments and the smoke stopped. I pulled the bely off and towed it home and when I got home I was curious if it would start, not that I was planning to ride it like it was but just checking things out before I tore it down to locate the problem. I do have fuel pump power but no starter. Whan I shut it off when the problem first occured I hit the kill switch. When it stopped smokeing we looked at it better and noticed the key was still in the starter cranking mode. That earlier stick under the key incident allowed the starter to stay engauged and heated up the wires and burned the insulation. I have not further investigated this problem but will do so as the weather warm later this week.

Yamma Momma, I know what you mean about the phazer being underpowered. I ride the mtn lite and have yons of hilly terrain right out my back door and it is a poor climber. I have been considering a different sled o suit my riding preference. My buddy just bought a 06 crfossfire stretched to a 144 and I did ride it. It is a great handling sled and the power to weight ratio is considerably better than the phazer. I actually had the pleasure to ride it for 2 hrs and got very comfortable very fast on this sled. 485 lbs and 145 hp. It will probably will replace my yammi. I'll keep the yammi for reliability reasons and run it in moderate terrain but when I get the itch to get a little agresive I'll bring out the cat, just my recent experience I thought Id share since you mentioned a sled similar in handling

biker_joe89 said:
My 07 Phazer FX burnt to the ground as bad or worse than yours did I was riding one night and it was real cold it was probably like 5 below zero and it was acting like it was hot but i thought there is no way it can be overheating when its this cold and it had no power i figured maybe the motor was ready to blow but after a little more riding my face started to get cold so i started slowing to a stop when i looked down my left leg was completely covered in flames (burnt my sno-pants only the left side) I got away from it and it was almost instantly covered in flames.i have pics i got off my cell phone of it burning looks exact same as yours and i will put some pics on here in a couple days of what the remains look like but the remains look the exact same as well. But My insurance screwed me over on this and I am know stuck with the loan still and no sled to show for it. We should contact yamaha about this they def. have a issue here and see if we can get some help from them. any info PLEASE contact me (906)370-4611 My name is Joe i'm 19 and i hate not having a sled to ride specially when I have a monthly payment I still have to make on the pile of scrap in my garage.

This sounds exactly like my incident. I have had reports of several others (6) who experienced fires, they called, emailed, or PM'd me. If you wish to discuss further please PM me so as to keep this out of the public forum. I do not wish to cause widespread panic as this is most likely isolated incidents.

My advice is if you have a fire near your left leg do whatever is in your means to get the side panels off and smother the fire, otherwise you are not getting that fire put out.

Instead of panicking people why dont you have it inspected by a professional to find the cause of the fire?If you had insurance I would think it would be a given that insurance company would find the cause.Lets face it though every year we hear or see many fires in sleds.Thankfully we havent been forced to use hardlines and metal tanks yet.

cannondale27 said:
Instead of panicking people why dont you have it inspected by a professional to find the cause of the fire?If you had insurance I would think it would be a given that insurance company would find the cause.Lets face it though every year we hear or see many fires in sleds.Thankfully we havent been forced to use hardlines and metal tanks yet.

Im not trying to panic anyone and I apologize if I made you feel like I was, therefore I have drastically edited my post. Ultimately I would like to see a resolve to this and a conclusion to what was the issue, if it is determined that it is a manufacturers issue then I would like to see a TSB issued for this problem.

Unfortunately i live in the middle of no where and without insurance would have to pay to have this investigation done, which would include shipping my burnt sled.

Until the guy posted here (three posts up) with the same issue, I had just about completely forgot about this ordeal and was getting ready to spring order/snow check a new sled.

It just amazes me that there are 6 people hanging around here who had fires and not one of them has shown any info on what caused the fire.If it happened to me I would want to know.Why not at least try consulting your local Fire Dept?Basically it comes down to if it is started electrically or not.If a electrical short was source then we have a issue.The investigators can figure this out.

Pretty much anything else other than a cracked gas tank is something that we as owners need to watch ourselves.If tank is removed hope you remember to hook up vent line correctly(its on left side).Are lines routed right?Are they good?Is there a bunch of old leaves and junk laying around your exhaust?

Ruckus said:
Hey Brent, why did you leave it in there?

LOL have you seen the pictures? I don't want that heap in my yard/garage.

Also I have no motivation to go get it since its about 30 miles in the woods.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not leaving it there forever to pollute. I made the decision that i'm not going to try and scrap it, and when I do pull it out of the woods (on a sleigh) its going right in my truck and straight to the landfill.

So in a summary thats why its still there, because its a pain in my #*$&@ to go get it; and.... the longer it sits there the cleaner it will be since its full of soot LOL

:Rockon:

make it a public reminder, get a bear stuffed animal and place him on it with a sign

smokey the bear says no to smoking lol

Brent_P said:
Ruckus said:
Hey Brent, why did you leave it in there?

LOL have you seen the pictures? I don't want that heap in my yard/garage.

Also I have no motivation to go get it since its about 30 miles in the woods.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not leaving it there forever to pollute. I made the decision that i'm not going to try and scrap it, and when I do pull it out of the woods (on a sleigh) its going right in my truck and straight to the landfill.

So in a summary thats why its still there, because its a pain in my #*$&@ to go get it; and.... the longer it sits there the cleaner it will be since its full of soot LOL

:Rockon:

Why bury the evidence?? If anything comes of it you won't have anything to show?
I'm wondering why this has not been all over the media like last year when the Ski-doos burnt in Labrador? That was a national event!

cannondale27 said:
It just amazes me that there are 6 people hanging around here who had fires and not one of them has shown any info on what caused the fire.If it happened to me I would want to know.Why not at least try consulting your local Fire Dept?Basically it comes down to if it is started electrically or not.If a electrical short was source then we have a issue.The investigators can figure this out.

Pretty much anything else other than a cracked gas tank is something that we as owners need to watch ourselves.If tank is removed hope you remember to hook up vent line correctly(its on left side).Are lines routed right?Are they good?Is there a bunch of old leaves and junk laying around your exhaust?

My theory is that the exhuast manifold cracked and that then melted the heatshield because they do backfire some but once the shield melted there was nothing blocking it from the gas tank and it was flames from there. just a theory when it was done burning the manifold was cracked...

There is two metal shields for it to burn through before getting to tank.When those manifolds break its very loud not something that you could ignore.

cannondale27 said:
There is two metal shields for it to burn through before getting to tank.When those manifolds break its very loud not something that you could ignore.

I had a very loud exhaust on it. There is also only one shield to burn thru as well. It could happen over time when they misfire there can be flames out the end of a stock exhaust so at the manifold just imagin the amount of flames you can have when it misfires. I am just saying it is a possability and I can't say that it is what happend either but it is the only thing i have been able to come up with at the time.

Back