• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Phazer Burnt to a pile of ashes this weekend

Obviously not all insurance companies are the same and I'm not trying to stir the pot. I just find it interesting that this sled is on some companies "do not insure" list.

It may actually end up getting insured. The file is with their underwriting department.

Are all of these fires starting on 07 Phazers? I am going to be bringing my 09 phazer in to get an overheating problem looked at and id tell them to make sure nothing to close to a heat source and catch fire... Should i be worried of mine flaming up.

Sorry for those this has happend to, and thanks for posting seems like more cases are comming out now that the topic is up here.

yamahas said:
Are all of these fires starting on 07 Phazers? I am going to be bringing my 09 phazer in to get an overheating problem looked at and id tell them to make sure nothing to close to a heat source and catch fire... Should i be worried of mine flaming up.

Sorry for those this has happend to, and thanks for posting seems like more cases are comming out now that the topic is up here.

Man, go out and ride it like you stole it, get some insurance and dont even think about it. This is comming from the guy that started this thread...

i already have insurance for it liability and collision theft/fire. The overherhearting problem I have is cpmpleatly different. it was just mentioning it while i was thanking you for bringing it up to everyones attention, i have never herd of a phazer catching fire in my area.

I really hate to beat a dead horse here, but I was just wondering... out of all the Phazers that burnt how many had aftermarket turbos? I'm still wondering if I need to pull my tank off and inspect my flex joints and my heat shields, etc.

If all of the sleds that burnt had turbos or boost, then my theory is that the extra boost pressure popped one of the rubber boots loose between the throttle bodies and the cylinders. The longer the machines were run, the pressure from the boost would continue to push more gasoline/vapors all under the hood and cowling. I think this would explain why the sleds were running like crap before they caught fire. I can say from experience that these boots are not installed very tight... mine pulled loose from the cylinders the first time I attempted my oil change! Anyhow, just my .02 cents... and this theory would not explain why a stock machine would catch fire.

i alreaedy had my sled tottaled out, so i only have 800 into it, but i can tell you that, whenthey took my starter apart my joints were bad, the clamps wont let you tighten it down anymore. i'd check if i was you guys, i heard it get louder and now i know why

so, sorry to hear that man. but it seems like most of the fires have happend on the phazer with a turbo kit? mine has no turbo so i should be safe with a fan by-pass switch that i always keep running?

I don't know about the insurance companies in other provinces (I'm in Ontario), but your house insurance does not cover vehicles in a garage/shed, even if it the garage is attached to your house.
Again, I don't know about other insurance companies, but when my dad's sled caught on fire a few years back, he had a friend tow it out, and was later told by the insurance company to leave it there next time and they would go and get it. Turned out the fuel line cracked and leaked gas.
I also found out that because it is mandatory by law to have at least collision, insurance companies can't drop a policy (only on vehicle insurance not on house insurance) but they will raise the rates to a point that you can't pay them.

not sure but i think you mean liability is requierd not collision.

Im also in ontario and my insurance covers fire theft basicly and damage

yamahas said:
not sure but i think you mean liability is requierd not collision.

Im also in ontario and my insurance covers fire theft basicly and damage

Opps, I always get those two mixed up. Thanks for correcting me. I just have theft, fire, and liability insurance.

My phazer has caught fire 3 times and i know 4 others in my town that have done the same. the last time it looked alot like the photos. every time it has lost power and boost, this is because the exaust over heats and the turbo fins slow. then it creates a hole and the hot gasses burn through that POS heat sheild and the gas tank then boom you have a fire. the stock flex pipes blow out easily and the ones from mcx are a little better but can still melt. recently i had my mcx ecu checked and it was running lean. i was told this is a problem, the box likes to remap itself and they could'nt tell me why. imho as for a solution i would move the turbo and get a fuel cell made for under the seat.

i would bet money on the exhaust causing most of the fires. i have asked around and lots of others have found this as well and have tryed different exhaust`s and flex techniques. sofar i havent seen one that is a for sure fix.

there is a ground wire update for the phazer and the starter problem.

If thats what is happening to the Turbos it shouldnt be that bad to figure it out.If it were me I would build a slipjoint or a normal ball flex joint and then put the joint inside some of the flexible exhaust hose,make a good shield and seriously consider a onboard extinguisher.On mine Non Turbo the flex joints have been fine but the Manifolds broke off right at the mounting plates.
The upper exhaust shield had the fibre material disintegrate also.

To quote Darth Vader:
Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to boost a phazer is insignificant next to the power of Fire ...

...well a modified quote...

i have taken thoes stupid clamps out and just welded in a peace. ive seen the flex blow out on a few stock ones too though. same on the nytro but its under the tunnel so not as big of a problem.

Back