• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

my review of the mtx

skidooboy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
two mtx's, one blue with stock mtx skis, apex rear springs no other mods (mine), one anniversary model (wife's) all stock but slydog powderhounds riding at 8-10,000' this week at togwotee wyoming.

mine, nasty darting on the trail to the play areas, played with limiters, front shock on rear skid, front ski springs, ski alignment ect... made it alittle better but not stellar. works well off trail, wont win any high mark prizes but goes almost everywhere the summits (rev and XP's) were going. smooth power, quiet, no vibration through bars, accepts input and gives good feeback through the bars. decent fuel economy (same riding, alittle over 1/2 gallon less than the 800 xp summits), fun sled to ride after getting used to the rider forward and what the sled likes and doesnt like.

the wife's needed alot more ski pressure with the powderhounds, had a big understeer issue, wouldnt turn hardly at all in powder with skis alone, (if you were carving and counter steering it was ok). made rear skid adjustments and the sled started behaving better. her bars heated alittle better than mine, no wet foot issues with either, i think the wet foot thing is caused from the skis spraying the bottom of the boards, and the clutch side spinning it up to the boot area (just my observation).

her sled reved faster and higher than mine (87-8900 on trail), mine would only get 86-8700 max on trail. both need more break in time but, i cant do a whole lot with the clutching due to the fact the weights are empty and the primary spring is yamaha's stiffest so, i am hoping i get my rpms when it fully breaks in or i'll be looking at stiffer aftermarket (dalton) primary springs to help with the revs.

what i was hoping for is 88-9000 on the trail and then when under load at the steep n deep the 85-8700 for the powerband. mine drops to 81-8200 max under load in the deep stuff. feels sluggish and slow to rev. the motor almost feels like the sled is being held back and could be stellar if opened up some how.

running boards clean off well with a few rubs from the boots, decent riding postion and ergos. good wind protection with the yamaha mid height accy windscreens. hand guards do help the bars heat better i think.

downs, the gauge pack, hard to read especially the tach when trying to dial sleds in, no clock like apexs, no altimeter like the xp's (both nice features that riders want/need), hand controls are touchy, and need attention all the time. would be better for individual thumb, grip controls like the apex.

the front shocks are too soft for hits and need alot of compression help (stiffer), the rebound up front seems ok. the rear shocks need ALOT of help (but are non rebuildable and non adjustable), more compression is needed, and alot less rebound. they seem to rebound way too fast but, bottom on the smallest bumps and dips.

not sure on the track yet, paddles seem soft and bend over and hold their bend in the cold hampering performance for sure, but with my motor and clutching rev issues, i am not sure what is holding the sled back more for climbing and deep powder, the motor or the track.

i am overal happy with the two sleds, hoping as a group, we can address these issues and the other issues some are having amungst ourselves with yamaha to make the sled stellar. ski

Thanks for the writeup Eric. Did the Apex springs help at all? How did the stock skis work off-trail?

flip the maverick around, thats what I've been reading on here. They'll starighten out and stay that way. Then the track will work much better.

Glad to hear you found some decent snow! We'll get these things rock'in yet! ;)! ;)! I'm hoping to find some time tomorrow to flip my track around. Those flatened out paddles suckkkkkkkkkk :o|

in my opinion, the apex or big boy springs are a must if you are over 175 lbs. but the shocks wont help the springs, we need an upgrade to rebuildables for tuning for sure.

the stock mtx skis work well offtrail, float nice and turn well. but their trail manors are not the best especially with fluff on top of a packed trail, or loose snow on a trail. they actually float too well for that type of condition, and either push, or dart/hunt for a line. ski

notice i didnt use dampening. i said i thought it needed less rebound (read: slower rebound). meaning, more rebound dampening. we both said the same thing in different ways. ski

The correct way to describe suspension action regarding compression and rebound is: speed is fast or slow, and damping is more(slower) or less(faster).

All you do is spread misinformation when you use these terms incorrectly.

Good comments ski - what's everyone talking about wet left foot? I wear winter boots that are rubber from top to bottom. I notice clutch heat in that area keeping the footwell clear of snow - but what's happening with wet feet??

allen,people who dont have waterproof boots end up with snow melting and soaking in(from the clutch heat)my rev did it as well

ohhh, yeah my Rev did that too. How warm are the MTX's clutches getting? I would burn my hand on the rev's. Haven't bothered to check while riding the MTX.

I'm interested in new boots - I've always worn 100% natural rubber (won't crack/flexible at -40) boots.

12 years ago I purchased a pair called Sorel Icefishers rated to -100. They are finally almost dead. I found another similar pair, called Acton Explorers, but they are only rated to -74 and they aren't warm enough.

I heard Baffin makes a full rubber boot rated to -100 now. Any idea's of other makes/models?

Remember that temperature ratings for boots are 'active temperature ratings' and your foot would freeze in a -74 boot just stading around at an air temp of -40 (which I do when ice fishing!)

i dont know too much about different boots,i use a klim gortex boot,but not sure how they would do at -40 fishing..lol..but they do keep my feet dry

Ice ice ice

Yellowknife said:
I notice clutch heat in that area keeping the footwell clear of snow - but what's happening with wet feet??

I seem to have the opposite problem, the heat generated from the clutches causes a ton of ice to build up in the left footwell and those goofy J shaped foot rests make it so my boot/foot don't fit all the way in after a while.

Then I try to kick the ice out, and the sweet J shaped footrest (whatever) bruises the bones on the top of my foot...feels great still two days later.

I wear some Sorel boots that are rubberized to above the ankle and my left foot stays dry, but the ice sucks.

Back