• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need a little help with set up and ski selection

Hey guys. I have a 2007 Apex Gt with 375 miles on it now. I was checking it over after riding it in some pretty marginal conditions so far. Everything checks out pretty well, but the factory carbides are nothing more than the host bar at this point. I need to replace them. I was leaning toward Stud Boy shaper bars as I have had outstanding results with them on my previous Polaris'. However the only length I find for the Apex is 9 inch and this seems like a lot for a unstudded sled. I then looked to see what they had to fit aftermarket skis, and considered buying some of those as well. I am resistant to work anything that involves dual runners. At this point, darting has not seemed to be an issue with the limited number of miles I have on it.....

I am looking to make this sled more of a carver with a limited amount of bump banging capability. (Which incidentally I have not found yet. It was AWFUL in the bumps). I dont ride off trail hardly ever, so flotation isnt a priority. I do not plan on studding at this point, but I am not vehemently opposed to it. I have the transfer set more toward the minimum end, and the sag has been set to 40mm. I weigh 185 undressed. The front springs/ shocks are in the factory setting, cause I try to make only 1 adjustment at a time and see how it responds, and so far I am still fiddling with the rear.

Anyone have any suggestions on what they like?

Not sure what your question is. Wearbars, many here have found great perfromance with Bergstrom triplepoints. In your case unstudded, probably 6 inch. Call Scott Bergstrom for his advice. I have same sled with Slydog trail skis,6 inch triolepoints and skisavers. If you search you'll get lots of info.

I put a set of C&A razors on my warrior and love them. They have the stock 6 inch carbide. My viper had the saddless Mtn skis with the sharper bars and they worked just as good. I am considering the bergstrom tripple points and ski savers when these wea out, i have seen them work and was extremely impressed with them. Maxdlx

2 3

With the stock ski, you could use bergstrom triple carbides (3 carbides on one bar, and they last a long time, many people really like those. Shim later if darting occurs down the line.

IMHO anything beyond 6" unstudded and it could be an oversteering biotch (not sure)

Simmons is prolly the most widely used ski here, Doo Pilots are working good and a hot item. Slydogs are great too.......

Coondog2707 said:
I am looking to make this sled more of a carver with a limited amount of bump banging capability. (Which incidentally I have not found yet. It was AWFUL in the bumps). I dont ride off trail hardly ever, so flotation isnt a priority. I do not plan on studding at this point, but I am not vehemently opposed to it.
Well it is a balance between carving and steering effort. Stock skis shimmed with the 18" Bergstrom Triple Point runner with 6" carbide works well for me. They do push a little under loose snow conditions but steering effort is minimal. C&A Razors will carve much better than stock but they will also increase steering effort. Simmons give you better flotation and also slightly increase steering effort, but you already said flotation was not what you are looking for so I would rule those out. Pilots skis might be your best bet Check out Weltracer's Pilot Ski Review that describes his riding results and info on what is needed to install.

So you should ask yourself how important carving is over steering effort. That will then enable you to zero in on a solution. ;)!

I hate to drive you nuts, but I went to check out bergstrom skegs and the website is down or something, Dennis Kirk Doesnt have a listing for the Apex, Apparently Shadetree doesnt caryy that brand. Long story short I am having touble finding a place to order them. Does anyone have a part number or a vendor that I can buy a set of 6 in triple point for my stock ski's?

Tork said:
Shim later if darting occurs down the line.

First time I have seen this written but I have experienced it.

Buy a sled and it does not Dart. Over time it starts to dart as Tork mentions above.

Any one know the reason? I thought maybe the Ski Hold down bars in the trailer perhaps bending the ski and or runner.

Any thoughts?

Back