• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need advice on removing starter

beaveman

Is there any certain way the starter comes out ? I took the two 10mm bolts out but it will only wiggle out a little bit . Are the bolts that everyone talks about tightening so the starter doesn't come out of aliment the two with allen heads? thanks for any help ?

The two bolts that hold the starter together, you can pull one out at a time inside the frame and locktight and reinsert. then reinstall starter without having to pull all the way out, whitch gets a little more complicated!

Tbyrd,
I have to check this out but have not worked on a Phazer.
Does the starter have to be taken off the motor to remove the bolts. Or can it be done mounted on the motor.

I asked the dealer to check when he was changing the oil, but they basically said no.....

Thanks

Keithstef

you need to pull starter out of engine. If all your trying to do is make sure starter bolts dont come loose you dont have to pull it out of the frameing just out of motor so you can weasle it around to pull the 2 bolts that hold starter together. Be carefull to only pull one at a time locktight it and reinstall. If you want to pull starter all the way out I have read on here of guys cutting part of the underframe to get it out but i wouldnt suggest that, I pulled all the front clip bolts except the 2 top ones(1on each side) as to allow front clip to pivot out forward enough to give you the room to pull it out. Good luck.

Beav/Manual

Beav did you get the manual yet , it might help with the removal .Some body else posted on here about dropping the front frame , after doing this they say you can do the starter and the oil change without a hitch .

no i havent yet but i did get to the starter by dropping the front frame and change the oil it made it really easy

starter

So dropping the front frame allows acces to the starter and oil filter and so on ? Let me know if you dont recieve it tomorrow il start trackin it tonight , I kept the tracking thing from fed ex .

Beaveman,
How much time did it take to dropping/removing the front frame?
I've fought with my skidoo... looks like i've been in a knife fight! Seems like they don't debur anything!

If it helps from getting sliced to-death, I'm in!

Keith

I'm going to be changing my oil this week. Could one of you please provide a little more detail about droping the front frame? How many bolts are we talking about? Are there any alignment issues when re-installing? How much of the sled comes off with the front frame? Just the steering or the motor too? Thanks!

When taking the frame off you need to take three bolts off on each side it might be four on the chain case side you need to take the radiator bolts out but leave rad. in and you will need to take the bottom oil resivor bolt out.After that take the bolt out of the steering that goes from handle bar to tie rods iguess thats what ther called and then lift the hole front of sled.I put blocks under the frame right by the heat exchanger.Then just grab the bumper give it a few pulls and out comes the hole front end.THe filter is right there and starter is easy to get to .This was my first time doing this with no manual and iwould say it took me about a hour or so . Just make sure you dont pull the carbs off the motor they are ab***h to put back on.I did this after fighting with trying to get the filter off anyother way just didnt seem to work for me.Doing it this way i didnt even get a scratch It all went together very easy any other question just pm me

Am in process of removing my front end right now.Will take some pics.I dont see this as a easier way to change the oil but definitely the way to go for getting at starter.Problems I see:

Bolt holding steering rod on cannot be removed easily since it hits rear upper frame(may install it upside down to make it easy next time)

Oil tank bottom hose goes through front frame.Needs to be removed.So definitly do this at same time as a oil change.I removed the whole fitting and cleaned the oil tank screen at same time so really not a negative.

What I see is everything including airbox that you remove for a normal filter change needs to be removed for a front frame removal plus the frame,steering rod and oiltank hose.Its nothard by any means but why take off more than necessary?

Back