• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need help with RTX idle

DaMick85

Hey everyone im kinda stumped and the dealer was as useful as a one legged man in an #*$&@ kicking contest. When I start the sled for the first time and its still cold the yellow oil temp light comes on but the idle isn't kicking up to 2800 - 3000 RPM like it should be. It sits at 2200 RPM and then drops right down to 1500. If its really cold out it takes 4-5 starts and then I have to manually hold the throttle to 3000 RPM to keep it running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The dealer told me that it was a bad batch of gas. My question is how does a bad batch of gas affect an electrical system? Any help guys and gals would be great!

Is the bad batch of gas is out of the question or is possible? because bad gas will give you trouble.

If not they is a screw on the left side of the snowmobile for idle adjustment.remove the left side panel you will see it.

ROCKRTX I have ran a couple batches of gas through and no changes. Will the adjustment screw affect the idle on start-up or just when its running. I'm more curious if there is a sensor broke that kicks the sled up to 2800- 3000 RPM that could be malfunctioning. Thanks for the advice ROCK!

Not to scare you, but my sled did the exact same thing towrds the end of last year. It also sounded strange for the first minute or so. At first it was every now and then, then it got worse, it was only difficult to start if the sled hadn't run in a day or basically it was cooled down. I took it to the dealer as I figured there was an exhaust leak (from the sound) and I was concernec it was maybe the TPS going, they replaced a Y-pipe and a Header pipe. The header had a huge crack halfway around one of the corrigations. The Y-pipe just had a wear hole from the header but it was in the flange so I don't think it contributed to the noise level or leaking. I mentioned the hard starting and they said the Header could definently contribute but they'll check the TPS and other things to make sure nothing else is contributing. Got the sled back with new pipes, Starts like the day I bought it. Same gas and everthing. Not saying you shouldn't question the fuel but see if the symptoms are the same. If so I would pull the seat and tank and start doing some investigation. Better now than three/four months from now.

I would check the throttle position sensor.
I had issues with mine last year and it was doing exactly what you say yours is doing.
When i brought it in for the second time i spoke with keith the owner of woodys performance in maine. he said that yamaha issued a service bulletin recalling the exact same part number on motorcycles because they were stalling and causing accidents. the number was superceded with a new number and thats what he gave me.

Thanks RTX! I was wondering if it wasn't the TPS myself. I was just about to bring my sled to a different shop up here in AK and have them look at it. The sled only has 600 miles on it, so I don't think that it would be the exhaust. But im going to pull the seat and tank just to make sure. Do you know how much of a task it is to replace the TPS sensor. Thanks again RTX!

located on the left hand side of the sled under the air box and in front of before the idle adjustment screw.

do yourself a favor and find the link on here to download the free apex manual. it gives you great details on this part as well as the entire sled.

my dealer originally missed the problem too. it was not easy to diagnose on my sled since My TPS would only act up when the sled was warmed up. every time it went to the dealer it would run fine
here is a link to the recall on the street bikes.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/fmc/f ... 6-016R.pdf

It's your exhaust y pipes. If it's not under warranty
bend over and spend 700 bucks
for both Y pipes and donuts. same thing happened
to mine.

Back