• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need honest answers on the Apex MTX

347strokin

Expert
Okay, I put on 1300 kms on my 08 Apex LTX GT last year.

I mostly run the rivers and groomed trails but find plenty of powder off the trail as well. I love the sled except that it is an absolute dog in any depth powder. It is such a waste of motor in the loose stuff.
I am seriously considering getting the Apex MTX as I'm sick of getting passed by 600's in the snow.

What I need to know is:

1) Can this machine work running high speed rivers and groomed trails about 70% of the time?

2) Will I be replacing sliders every month?

3) Can this machine pull up the front end at will? Will it wheelie at all?

4) What is the top speed out of the box?

5) Are there any known weak links on the long tracks?

Thanks a lot in advance for the answers and I do plan on making a few trips here and there to the mountains.

You should look into the new Nytro XTX (maybe a track change - higher lugs) for your riding style.

I have a apex mountain skid in my sled (RX-1 m) I always take it slow on the trails due to wear on sliders. I have added extra wheels and pulled limiter straps in the front - it help a lot on the sliders wear.

My friend sold his Apex mountain beacause he felt it didn't fit the type of riding style you describe.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the idea of the XTX but I do also want a machine that will be able to perform when I do go to the mountains.
With the extra wheel kit underneath and some ice sctratchers would I be able to play on harder packed surfaces?

I have an 06 Apex Mtn and ride soem of the same. Went thru hyfax in 450 miles riding rivers and trails. It wears me out getting on twisty trails and sidehilling. Great going straight up.

I am going to give it another winter but if I don't figure it out- Nytro XTX. Would have held out for it if I'd known about it.

I also have a 2000 Mtn Max 700-141. Didn't have the hyfax wear I am experiencing with APEX.

:yam:

I think with scratchers you will be fine except maybe for ice and then ya could always take it a little easy or look into some hyperfax. I think my sled has great trail chararistics. but with the 162 track it can be a little difficult to get the front up

I got 2500 mi to my mtx hyfax, with my track in worse shape than the hyfax. 85% off-trail, and 15% on-trail. ice scratchers are a must, and the trails I rode had no sand in them, and in the twistys I rode the sled as hard as I could. Top speed with stock gearing at 2500 ft elevation is about 97mph and it gets there really quick.

If you went with a MTN apex I would try to get a track with smaller lugs mabey 1.5 or something I know the 2" lugs are prone to snap off at river speeds and hard pack snow.

canuck5 said:
If you went with a MTN apex I would try to get a track with smaller lugs mabey 1.5 or something I know the 2" lugs are prone to snap off at river speeds and hard pack snow.

This was actually a concern of mine as well. That sucks.

347strokin said:
It's good to know I can still run the MTX on trails/rivers. I never ride if there isn't loose snow.
What is the top speed on the 162's?

I've GPS'ed at 98mph at 5500' elevation. If you're worried about hyfax wear......go with Hyperfax! I have over 2K miles and show litttle to no wear and I don't have ice-scrathcers. Just my two cents worth but I'm very pleased with them.

TomKat said:
347strokin said:
It's good to know I can still run the MTX on trails/rivers. I never ride if there isn't loose snow.

I've GPS'ed at 98mph at 5500' elevation. If you're worried about hyfax wear......go with Hyperfax! I have over 2K miles and show litttle to no wear and I don't have ice-scrathcers. Just my two cents worth but I'm very pleased with them.

I'm thinking of going with at least Hyperfax and the extra wheel kit.
What is it that actually tears the lugs off a track?
Is it spinning over roots/rocks or just going too fast on the hardpack?

347strokin said:
TomKat said:
347strokin said:

I'm thinking of going with at least Hyperfax and the extra wheel kit.
What is it that actually tears the lugs off a track?
Is it spinning over roots/rocks or just going too fast on the hardpack?

I think you'll be quite pleased w/ the Hyperfax. As for running the extra wheel kit......might be a waste of money. Many are seeing extra wear directly behind the front idler wheels. From what has been posted here and at other sites, it seems as though riders see better (more even) wear to their sliders by removing the forward wheels and going with scratchers. Put the Hyperfax on and then guage you're wear. You can always add the scratchers and wheel kits later if you notice excesive wear. Adding scratchers wouldn't be a bad idea and they don't really add squat for weight and they're there if you ever need them.

Now don't get me wrong....as I ride on the spring hardpack ice, I will try to get a little extra lube now and then by going off trail where the snow might be a bit softer, or skidding the track to scoop a little snow, or dragging the feet for a couple of seconds. I do these things more as a precaution (or habit) and not really because I've ever really felt that the Hyperfax actually needed it.

As for the track lugs being ripped-off, I'm pretty positive it is due to spinning the track and catching solid objects. I wouldn't rule out other causes entirely, but that would seem to be the most obvious reason.

the track lugs can break off due to overheating too from riding on hard pack, so i was told, but i find it hard to believe how adding more wheels will make them wear faster....... sounds strange to me

BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!

MountainMax said:
the track lugs can break off due to overheating too from riding on hard pack, so i was told, but i find it hard to believe how adding more wheels will make them wear faster....... sounds strange to me
>>>
You can take that ScHIT to the BANK! I guarantee this ....Go ahead and put all those wheels on that skid. Add more weight and look like an asphalt sled while doing it, in the end your Hyfax will still wear like hell and you'll eventually go to no wheels or Hyperfax. You can ignore those of us who've logged thousands of miles and tried all the options.....cheers! ;):D

Back