• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder or thundercat or skidoo 900 180hp

Also, they missed it on the gauge on the Doo too, its pretty poor and the Doo guys will tell you that, I feel they took a step backwards vs the old Doo deluxe gauge,
I could not agree more here.
The Sidewinder gauge is the worst to look at standing still, the best to look at when at speed. All the info you need at a glance.
The new Polaris gauge and Ski-Doo gauge are terrible to see when riding down the trail at anything more than a crawl. The Doo gauge is too low also, numbers too small.
This is not to say the Sidewinder gauge does not need a refresh, I just hope they don't follow the trend the others have set with poorly placed, small numbered gauges.
And dont give me any of that stupid computer mouse style wheel control B.S., I hate those in cars and hate them on sleds.

I would not agree with this. You are forgetting about the Top gear bushing needing addressed seasonally, the chain case tensioner screws needing welding and the roll over valve bypassed or addressed, now they even dump it into the airbox so it drools oil worn on to the clutch. Also needing addressing is the loose fit of the front drive shaft to bearing fit on the ProCross, it flat out needs the BOP wedge fit in it from new to keep from wearing out the front shaft. Year after year they just seem to forget to redesign the dang thing conveniently. Perhaps because they don't have an engineer left in the building. LOL! We also can't forget to take apart the oil tank and put a good layer of silicone in it so it doesn't leak even after the ROV is addressed.

No such issues with the Doo. The Doo is gas and ride, the problem areas I spoke about above need addressed on the ProCross for reliability to be trouble free.

So the mechanically inclined that can deal with the poor engineering on Cat/Yamaha end will have a reliable machine. Either way the ProCross is the easiest machine to ride the fastest and handle the best.
Yes i also agree with Knapp here, every sidewinder has issues that need to be addressed, i cant speak for the Doo but the sidewinder needs some wrenching to keep it going each season. like a pet that demands attention. Still with the poor engineering in some areas i would not give the sidewinder up for anything!!

I would not agree with this. You are forgetting about the Top gear bushing needing addressed seasonally, the chain case tensioner screws needing welding and the roll over valve bypassed or addressed, now they even dump it into the airbox so it drools oil worn on to the clutch. Also needing addressing is the loose fit of the front drive shaft to bearing fit on the ProCross, it flat out needs the BOP wedge fit in it from new to keep from wearing out the front shaft. Year after year they just seem to forget to redesign the dang thing conveniently. Perhaps because they don't have an engineer left in the building. LOL! We also can't forget to take apart the oil tank and put a good layer of silicone in it so it doesn't leak even after the ROV is addressed.

No such issues with the Doo. The Doo is gas and ride, the problem areas I spoke about above need addressed on the ProCross for reliability to be trouble free.

So the mechanically inclined that can deal with the poor engineering on Cat/Yamaha end will have a reliable machine. Either way the ProCross is the easiest machine to ride the fastest and handle the best.
It all depends on how you ride it. I've had only one issue with the top gear bushing pop up, but I ride HARD and fast. On the other hand, my father (on an identical snowmobile) has never had an issue with his and it looks brand new (I guess that's what you get for going easy, whatever that is?). Neither of us have had any issues with the ROV, chain tensioner screw, driveshaft, or other common problem. Any warranty item that I've needed, Yamaha has stood behind at ZERO cost to me and has made sure to work with my shop to get me out on something so my weekends weren't wasted (something to keep in mind - BRP warranties have a deductible, Yamaha warranties do not).

HOWEVER, I did bend my tunnel last year when pulling my Sidewinder out of a enormous snowdrift at the shop. I can't blame that one on Yamaha - there were two guys on each side and one ON the tunnel. With a new tunnel riveted on this summer, I beefed that up with some reinforcement plates in a couple areas. Furthermore, most of my sled was torn down in order to install the new tunnel, including my chaincase. The dealership took a look at the top gear bushing (the second one) and it looks like it's in great condition with 4,000+ miles on it.

If you're going to leave well enough alone and ride a stock sled (no tunes), I'd suggest budgeting only a couple of items (sourced from Barn of Parts (BOP) - a local vendor to this site):

Barn of Parts (BOP)
1. Front Tunnel Saver ($35)
2. Center Shock Cross Shaft ($55)
3. Coolant Hose Saver ($85)
4. No Freeze Relay (2 relays x $20 = $40)

TOTAL: $215 - nothing that will "break the bank".

My Sidewinder (and the SR Viper that came before it) have been incredible machines that have allowed me to ride faster and harder through any trail condition compared to every legacy Yamaha that I've owned. Inevitably, that will come to bite me in the a**, but I can't complain as I'm putting the thing through tougher conditions (it's a "Catch 22" - it's all in how you ride it). Additionally, our Sidewinders are equals when looking at seasonal preventative maintenance when compared to the gamut of other Yamahas that we've had in our stable over the years. It's been nothing more than an oil change and some wax.

Last edited:
It all depends on how you ride it. I've had only one issue with the top gear bushing pop up, but I ride HARD and fast. On the other hand, my father (on an identical snowmobile) has never had an issue with his and it looks brand new (I guess that's what you get for going easy, whatever that is?). Neither of us have had any issues with the ROV, chain tensioner screw, driveshaft, or other common problem. Any warranty item that I've needed, Yamaha has stood behind at ZERO cost to me and has made sure to work with my shop to get me out on something so my weekends weren't wasted (something to keep in mind - BRP warranties have a deductible, Yamaha warranties do not).

HOWEVER, I did bend my tunnel last year when pulling my Sidewinder out of a enormous snowdrift at the shop. I can't blame that one on Yamaha - there were two guys on each side and one ON the tunnel. With a new tunnel riveted on this summer, I beefed that up with some reinforcement plates in a couple areas. Furthermore, most of my sled was torn down in order to install the new tunnel, including my chaincase. The dealership took a look at the top gear bushing (the second one) and it looks like it's in great condition with 4,000+ miles on it.

If you're going to leave well enough alone and ride a stock sled (no tunes), I'd suggest budgeting only a couple of items (sourced from Barn of Parts (BOP) - a local vendor to this site):

Barn of Parts (BOP)
1. Front Tunnel Saver ($35)
2. Center Shock Cross Shaft ($55)
3. Coolant Hose Saver ($85)
4. No Freeze Relay (2 relays x $20 = $40)

TOTAL: $215 - nothing that will "break the bank".

My Sidewinder (and the SR Viper that came before it) have been incredible machines that have allowed me to ride faster and harder through any trail condition compared to every legacy Yamaha that I've owned. Inevitably, that will come to bite me in the a**, but I can't complain as I'm putting the thing through tougher conditions (it's a "Catch 22" - it's all in how you ride it). Additionally, our Sidewinders are equals when looking at seasonal preventative maintenance when compared to the gamut of other Yamahas that we've had in our stable over the years. It's been nothing more than an oil change and some wax.
That's good, you are a lucky man to have 2 sidewinders that only need oil change each year to keep them going. for the majority of sidewinders there are several common problems that is a good idea to give attention or you may have a trip that you would like to forget about. My chain case leaked after 300 miles and glad i took it apart to reseal it because my chain tensioner bolts were already loose, next ride would not have been good if the bolt came out. the barn of parts shaft saver is a must or you can roll the dice and if it fails which many have and you are half way through looping the Gaspe peninsula you are screwed. the plastic rear wheel assembly may be something minor when it fails if your riding around the house but if your on a trip that you towed 10 hours to it will ruin your day for sure, JT axle and wheel replacement. even if the roll over valve does not stick on you why would anyone want the breather vented into the intake and get your intercooler oiled up inside? I broke rear suspension center shock shaft at 800 miles again where there was no spare parts to be had this has been replaced with custom piece from machine shop. I dont think i ride hard my riding partner is my GF that rides the same sled only in the viper and we are in our middle 50's riding smooth trails in Northern Maine, NH and Canada. I love my sidewinder, it is at 280+ HP 6,000 miles and looks like it has 100 miles on it. showroom condition but these sleds do require some wrench time, take the common problems everyone talks about serious and address them. The power, handling and did i mention power is above anything on the snow, would not trade my winder for anything.

I own the 900 T and fully agree with Mr. Knapp. Inside ski lift and front end lift out of a corner is definitely an issue. I also like the storage on the cat/sidewinder more than the 900T. I don't have my srx yet but I have worked on a few t cats and a winder. So far I'm really liking the 998s.

I own the 900 T and fully agree with Mr. Knapp. Inside ski lift and front end lift out of a corner is definitely an issue. I also like the storage on the cat/sidewinder more than the 900T. I don't have my srx yet but I have worked on a few t cats and a winder. So far I'm really liking the 998s.
What year 900t?

Back