• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call it a "HUGE improvement"over the apex...it depends what you are looking for...I haven't spent anything on my apex...at all...it's completely stock, other than dually's...I happen to like the apex sitting position...my xtx is a big improvement over my 07 attaks I owned (one GT and one standard)...there are things they could improve on...like rear skid...but my xtx handles far flatter than either of the attaks, and it turns quite well (maybe mines set-up better than the one you rode?? dunno)....the eps makes it a joy to drive on tight wooded trails...and it just plain rips... IMO the viper feels flat and lacks the mid range punch, and top end of the apex...not saying the viper is bad...the guys who have them seem to love them...they look cool, and ride nice....but nothing puts a smile on my face like this 4 cylinder does....I know a lot of apex riders who feel the same way.
X2

New prediction the 17 sled will be a revamped viper chassis with yamahas 850cc engine from the xsr900 motorcycle. We'll see fox coil shocks with led headlight. 130 hp range. With a roller secondary for an updated clutch. The teaser video sounds like the 850cc motor. That will be one of the sleds. Maybe they are coming out with more than one sled in the line up?

I still think 998 cc cross plane 170 hp range. To make the statements they are making its has to be the and the 850 as a low cost sled.

images
IT HAS FANGS !!!!

Ok looking through am snow buyers guide from this year. Wet weights show the nytro lighter than the viper by 5-10 and within 10-20lbs of the 800s and most 600s dry they might be more but short of the rmk and Indy sleds it's on par that way. So a little lighter motor that's narrower to allow better placement and some other perks wouldn't be as far off as one might think

New prediction the 17 sled will be a revamped viper chassis with yamahas 850cc engine from the xsr900 motorcycle. We'll see fox coil shocks with led headlight. 130 hp range. With a roller secondary for an updated clutch. The teaser video sounds like the 850cc motor. That will be one of the sleds. Maybe they are coming out with more than one sled in the line up?
The FZ 09 motor, which is the same motor that's in the XSR, makes 115 hp at 10000 rpm. Why would Yamaha take that motor and re-engineer it with a downgear so the clutch can spin at 8500 rpm? They already have a three cylinder motor that outputs 130+ hp at clutchable rpm, it costs a lot less to not re-engineer something ($0) than to re-engineer something, in other words they would have to charge more for the 847 triple than for the Nytro triple. If they want a sled with less hp, they can simply put a milder cam in the 1049, which would be a whole lot more economical than re-engineering a motorcycle motor. In fact, i do believe the RS Viking Pro 2 has the 1049 with 115 hp, which probably means just a milder cam with more low-end grunt. That would be perfect for a low cost sled and at the same time cost A LOT less money for Yamaha to engineer.

Might be using FZ-09 motor and rest of bike for the snowbike. This turboed one is sweet!!

Far fetched I know but would be a riot!!
12239685_1626316944288296_6016750799462672750_n.jpg

Two more sleeps!!

Got 14,000 miles on my supercharged Nytro running minimal boost and it smokes every turbo I have run. Every time. No lag means I kill them off the line, and beyond that they can't make up the difference. I'd never choose a turbo if a S/C is an option.

Of course a SC-loaded engine is faster the first meters, but I have seen a lot of 660' snowraces, and never had a SC sled won in the overloaded class. They are fast from start but have very short legs. But its a very funny sled to drive. It seems like the SC isent neerly as fast to load in the rpm areea the turbo starts to load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just signed up to the site as I'm curious to see what the new sled will be. I'm honestly not expecting much, I don't like the joint built Yamacats and that is exactly what is coming out. The Arctic Cat style mountain bar that was shown in the first video was a dead giveaway.

I'm guessing a new motor of some sort in a revised pro-cross chassis similar to how Ski-Doo updated the XP chassis with new plastic a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back