• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

That huge triple four stroke is an amazing engine that I'll take over any other engine any day of the week, even if it does make the sled 100lbs more than the competitors.

I'd rave over it too if it had more N/A power.. but stock it as lazy as a cut dog.

Because using the waste energy in the exhaust gasses in a turbo saps very little horsepower from the engine and with modern setups the lag is hardly worth mentioning. Superchargers sap quite a bit of hp from the engine and the instant response means instant extra fuel, so the gas mileage suffers as well. The turbo setups can actually be more fuel efficient when riding sensibly than stock setups. Not so much with the superchargers.

My buddy has a 2006 Attak with a MPI supercharger built by Pro Line's John Wheelock. He's got it setup for 7 psi boost, 220 HP on premium pump fuel. Fast as heck, already has 9,500 trouble free miles and does as good as my stocker on fuel.

Been told by one of the shops that does a lot of boost sleds, turbo is best for mountains, keeps chugging and lugging forever. S/C's better for flat land use, spool up quickly and can use stock exhaust. But in mountains they do hit a wall.

Not to sidetrack this thread but how does the ECU cause starter problems?
The belief is that the fuel and timing on the viper ecu are wrong and cause a kick back on startup.
This in turn takes out the starter prematurly.
Evo reflash has shown improved starting with no kickbacks

The issue with big cc 4 strokes is that the insurance companies are putting pressure on the industry to keep them 1000cc and under. You can have a 1000cc and under 4 stroke make excellent power with a turbo and full Yamaha injection and electronics. HINT HINT HINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
My 15 is a excellent sled to fully build a 180 + hp motor, install a custom shock package and be happy with it for at least another 5+ yrs but im not ok with Cat's electronics. That's why if Yamaha releases what i think they are going to do then i'll trade what i have and build what i want for the long haul.

The issue with big cc 4 strokes is that the insurance companies are putting pressure on the industry to keep them 1000cc and under. You can have a 1000cc and under 4 stroke make excellent power with a turbo and full Yamaha injection and electronics. HINT HINT HINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
My 15 is a excellent sled to fully build a 180 + hp motor, install a custom shock package and be happy with it for at least another 5+ yrs but im not ok with Cat's electronics. That's why if Yamaha releases what i think they are going to do then i'll trade what i have and build what i want for the long haul.
Hint hint hint???

Cant tell you how many times my wife has told me i cant take a hint.
How about more help please

Factory centrifigal SC would be my choice if I was a manufacture. Smaller package, less piping, and would drop into a personal watercraft also. I've built cars with Vortech supercharger and turbos and the Vortechs rob very little HP. I swapped a Vortech with a turbo on one engine and only gained a few HP at the same boost level both got the same gas mileage. Yes the turbo had more power on low end BUT with a CVT transmission in sleds that's kind of A mute point.

Think about what i said, right now we have a japan built 4 stroke, US company add on turbo kit, and arctic cat electronics in the Vipers.
The problem with the current 16 turbo's are that when yamaha changed the engine internal's, both yamaha and the add on turbo manufacturer were not working together ( sharing changing motor differences) and this is why the are ticking time bombs. Do you see were im going with all this.
14-15 vipers with this turbo kit are fantastic with no problems because everybody was on the same page.

Last edited:
Think about what i said, right now we have a japan built 4 stroke, US company add on turbo kit, and arctic cat electronics in the Vipers.
The problem with the current 16 turbo's are that when yamaha changed the engine internal's, both yamaha and the add on turbo manufacturer were not working together ( sharing changing motor differences) and this is why the are ticking time bombs. Do you see were im going with all this.
14-15 vipers with this turbo kit are fantastic with no problems because everybody was on the same page.
So with your theory it can't be a current 1049 with a turbo. It's a smaller motor 4 stroke that is now turbo charged from the factory. What size motor could that be gang?

All i'm saying is that if Yamaha does what i think there going to do, we are going to have a hell of a sled option with a fully developed motor, turbo, electronics by Yamaha only.

I was northbound on Hwy 53 north of Eau Claire and about an hour ago I saw a semi load of Yamaha snowmobiles in crates heading south of Hwy 53. I'd betcha $1000 those are demo 2017's going somewhere!

Anybody know where some of the the Yamaha dealers are congregating for the unveiling? Mine left today to go "somewhere".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back