• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NEW APEX MOTOR!!!!

I agree Yamaha should keep some sort of margin between the models. If there is too many choices aimed at the same type of riding, everybody will go with the cheapest one. There may still be a percentage of us who would buy for the awesome 4 cyl. sound though!
If the Apex is the alpha dog, they shoud keep its sights on the MachZ, and keep up with improvements in handeling (sp?) and keep the Nytro in the market to target REV, F-series, and IQ buyers.
The 4 stroke thing is still relatively new, and if you look at other rides like motorcross, it only took a few years after a 4 strokes started winning National events for everybody to switch.
I can't really say what my opinion is on the 2 strokes' future is in the market, but I have a friend that bought a new Summit 800, along with a couple of his friends who I don't know, and 2 out of 3 of them didn't make it 400 miles. Kevin's sled didn't have the crank bushing pressed on and the crank was rattling around in there from the start, and the other guy had an oil or fuel problem at W.O.T. and smoked it twice within 50 miles. Long story short, if they have to keep pushing the boundaries to keep them efficient and meeting regulations, I think they will eventually start building 4 strokes if nothing else to cut down on warranty claims.
You'd be crazy to think that the other manufacurers don't keep track of the warranties and callbacks of their competition, orat least hear about them. If they are having problems keeping motors together, thats quite a bit more seroius to their future than a hand warmer and bogey wheel dilema.

The reason for the switch to 3 cylinders is to reduce engine width and max RPM more than the overall weight. The 3 cylinder engine is over 2 inches narrower than the 4 cylinder. With the stroke only 8mm longer on the 3 cylinder, the overall heights are almost identical. To increase the horsepower of the new FX Nytro engine, the max RPM would have to be raised considerably and it would probably require a gear reduction for the primary clutch.

the 3 cyclindre was built with one thing in mind....to go racing in snow cross....the specs are what they were aloud to do.....1050cc max.....and no gear redution aloud. :4STroke:

BlueMax said:
The 3 cylinder engine is over 2 inches narrower than the 4 cylinder.

If Yamaha does change over to the new R1 engine it will be narrower due to the changes in the block. The new R1 engine has a closed deck cylinder design that will allow the cylinders to be spaced more closely together, allowing for a narrower engine, since there are no coolant passages in the cylinder body. This with all the other changes to the new 4 valve per head engine, would make it a more tempting engine to stick onto their sleds.

piped bravo said:
the 3 cyclindre was built with one thing in mind....to go racing in snow cross....the specs are what they were aloud to do.....1050cc max.....and no gear redution aloud. :4STroke:

Yamaha probably was the one that came up with the 4 stroke specs for snow cross. They were the same ones that started this in Motocross. It was easier in Motocross since the other manufacturers (Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki) all had similar engines. In this case the other 3 manufacturers may put up a larger fight with the race sanctioning boards. SkiDoo has already stopped sponsoring racers in certain types of racing because Yamaha has been given too large of advantage with engine displacement. For instance, if snow cross was limited to 2 cylinder engines even at 1050cc the Yamaha would not be that competitive.

Back