• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Engine in 2016 Vipers and Other Changes

I knew that these 2 models were the only 2 that had the old engine but never paid attention 2 the model # so E must stand for early. LOL too easy.

Yeah, after going thru all the models and spotting out these models i noticed the model number :D But that just confirms it. Some MTX 162 LE and LTX LE models are early build with old engine.

I changed my text. Bad move from Yamaha.
It's not a big deal. I'm just venting. I have no choice but just be happy with the fact I have a very proven engine. Just hope the starter doesn't go!

It's not a big deal. I'm just venting. I have no choice but just be happy with the fact I have a very proven engine. Just hope the starter doesn't go!

I have the good `old` engine in my Nytro MTX. i Have 10 000miles on it with mcx 190hp turbo. Runs like new! I would not worry at all :)

My buddy has over 20,000 miles on his 09 nytro with the 190 kit on it and it still runs like a top. These motors are good but anything can break if pushed to far.

Do anybody know if the Carrillo rods for the old engine, fits the new?

So from what I've been reading, I'm starting to understand that if the engine does have bad rods, you should be fine with a stock motor & no turbo right? From my understanding it's the turbos that are making the rods fail.

As cannondale said it " depends". New motor with cr-mo rods and updated jack shaft is the shiznit. The only catch is you do not know what rods you had until you take apart.

I have a 16 Xtx Le with MPI turbo. I have worked it hard in its 3500 kn life and all is good.

It is my " insert disclaimer here " opinion that the "Rod" issue is not as wide spread as thought. Hurricane verified that many of the motors have good rods. No way to tell what you have in your machine unless you take it apart.

There have been a couple of people in Scandinavia that bought upgraded rods and it turns out they did not need them.

Information is a dangerous thing: the illusion of knowledge is far more dangerous than the actual possession of knowledge.

Chrome Moly. Thats from Dave at Hurricane. He has helped clear up this issue hugely since Yamaha is not saying anything of meaning right now and probably never will. Same with starter gears and starters in the old motor. It sucks they arent more open but I am not running the company. Is what it is. I am no Dave at Hurricane but I have doubts as to whether identifying a rod by the color and hardness tells you it is Chrome Moly. The file method is a great and valid method for hardness and really all thats needed. I would not go by visual and call it a day. Ideally the motors and internals were kept track of at factory and a recall will be forthcoming or at least that info given to dealers in the form of a Tech Update. I suspect not though. If I were to Turbo I would use aftermarket rods at any level right now in a 16.5 motor. Sorry to say but if I owned a 16.5 motor even NA I would be calling everyone at Yamaha I could until I had in writing that they will cover rod failure for the next ten years with any mods up to about 180hp. I believe they will but sure would be a more comfortable feeling if in writing.

Hey thanks for taking the time fellas! It's much appreciated, my viper runs very well, so I'm hoping it continues for another 20-30,000km.

Back