• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Engine in 2016 Vipers and Other Changes

OK guys here is my take on things and why I opted to keep my early build with the old motor, first of all the motor has been obviously been built stronger on the bottom end for future boost (the 2017 cat turbo) but what concerned me is the pistons they have been lightened up by 12 grams which in the end will be weaker for boost for the guys like us that are putting on aftermarket turbos. Now that being said I think they went to the lighter pistons for the N/A guys and if it come from the factory (cat) they will have low compression pistons in it and will be beefed up, so you have a choice weaker pistons in the new motor or weaker rods in the old motor. the old motor on stock internals with race gas was turned up to 16.5# this summer and was a complete animal with tons of torque and with 7000 boosted miles is still perfect and my buddy s with head shim rods and head studs with stock pistons ran 28# and is still perfect.
I'm basing my guess on the pistons after my 09 Apex had a 290 kit on it and the pistons were perfect and and my 2011 apex cracke all 4 pistons and 1 broke and destroyed my motor and every 2011 and up that I have seen has had cracked pistons because Yamaha lightened them up.Who Knows if the new pistons will hold up I,m sure at 6# they will but after that its a crap shoot. JMHO

Just because pistons are lighter does not make them weaker. Pistons in my modified v-8 were certainly lighter than stock

That is for sure true. The Wisecos in quads I used were shot in one season. CP's could do 2 easily and they were much lighter than Wiseco. Wiseco copied CP eventually and it helped but still did not equal them strength wise. JE was worse than Wiseco and they are supposed to be one of the best. Its all design and material. We will see.

Just because pistons are lighter does not make them weaker. Pistons in my modified v-8 were certainly lighter than stock

Stone's just going on our experience on the APEX, they lightened up the pistons in 11 and every boosted motor I've taken apart in the 11 and up have had cracks in the skirts of the pistons, never seen a problem on the older ones - I guess he's just saying he doesn't want to be the one to find out. We know the old viper motors are strong - set of rods and a head shim in my motor and its been down the track at 28 pounds of boost pulling strong! Cant wait to run this thing on the snow :) trail ride at 12 and then crank her up !

I picked up my White/Red LE last weekend from the dealer. I had the tuner III's. Can't check the build date on the sled but my MSO shows 8/27/15.

Also HP shown on the MSO states 126.0

Did all the LE's come with the tunnel flares. It was a surprise to find them on all the LE's my dealer had lined up for delivery last week.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/tunnel-flares?b=Snowmobile&d=3|3&f=2016|244&dealernumber=

Joe

All LE come with tunnel flares even early build.

That is for sure true. The Wisecos in quads I used were shot in one season. CP's could do 2 easily and they were much lighter than Wiseco. Wiseco copied CP eventually and it helped but still did not equal them strength wise. JE was worse than Wiseco and they are supposed to be one of the best. Its all design and material. We will see.

Exactly we will see but I don't want to be a guinea pig again I just want to enjoy my season tuning my clutches apposed to building motors, been there done that.

Stone's just going on our experience on the APEX, they lightened up the pistons in 11 and every boosted motor I've taken apart in the 11 and up have had cracks in the skirts of the pistons, never seen a problem on the older ones - I guess he's just saying he doesn't want to be the one to find out. We know the old viper motors are strong - set of rods and a head shim in my motor and its been down the track at 28 pounds of boost pulling strong! Cant wait to run this thing on the snow :) trail ride at 12 and then crank her up !

Agreed.

Wow..Stone88 you really know your stuff, are you an engineer or something? Good track record on ice and asphalt!!

Picking up my sled tomorrow build date is 10/2015 . so sled was build in Oct.

Cracked the `code` :D on the Early build 2016 models ? In this picture you can se that its only 2 models that are early buildt. Dont know if this is old news. The models with the old engine is the one with model number that starts with SR1E.... The modified engine is SR10.....

Attachments

• Viper so called 2016.png
    Viper so called 2016.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Cracked the `code` :D on the Early build 2016 models ? In this picture you can se that its only 2 models that are early buildt. Dont know if this is old news. The models with the old engine is the one with model number that starts with SR1E.... All the real 2016 is SR10.....
Who you calling "real". Us early builds take offense to that.

Cracked the `code` :D on the Early build 2016 models ? In this picture you can se that its only 2 models that are early buildt. Dont know if this is old news. The models with the old engine is the one with model number that starts with SR1E.... All the real 2016 is SR10.....
I knew that these 2 models were the only 2 that had the old engine but never paid attention 2 the model # so E must stand for early. LOL too easy.

Back