• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Engine in 2016 Vipers and Other Changes

Did anyone know there were changing to the Viper motor for 2016 ? I new there was changer to the Vector motor but not the viper.
Are all the 2016 viper have the new motor?
What did they change and what is the effect of the changes, anyone know?
Did not know anything at Dealership,Haydays or Milwaukee show. Just the Vector was all that was talked about. Still think they should have 16's and 16.5's like Toyota does. It's advertised as such so changes are expected and not a surprise. Many would have waited. Would really like to know more about internals. Especially starter gear. Electronics too. Knock sensor,cam sensor?

Out of all things I didn't think they would change the engine. What the heck is wrong with the old engine. It's the reason to by a viper.
You are right but could be much better. Even Phazer has a knock sensor and cam sensor. The motor keeps making power past redline. That makes the redline a leash. The oil issue. Have seen those valve cover protrusions pop out and spray oil. Pipe dream but gear reduction would be nice!

Oh boy and we all thought the shock change last year was bad. Keep in mind that this new motor may be less powerful than original. Trying to put a good spin on this. If the motor turns out to be better in some way all of us just saw our sleds value decrease. This is really bad policy by Yamaha.

Pretty sure it will make the same power but for HP junkies like me (and many other guys on here) when we turbo them they will be a stronger motor and will take more punishment with heavier components. Now not that theres anything wrong with the old motor they are great and have been proven over time but I like the stronger components and since I bought a 2016 I want all the upgrades also.

Pretty sure it will make the same power but for HP junkies like me (and many other guys on here) when we turbo them they will be a stronger motor and will take more punishment with heavier components. Now not that theres anything wrong with the old motor they are great and have been proven over time but I like the stronger components and since I bought a 2016 I want all the upgrades also.
Does yours have the old engine? I do

So this is the new motor?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 295
it looks like it is machined alum instead of the gasket on the half circles
Oo look at that. I officially have an old sled haha. What the hell!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 265
If its like YXZ it looks like this. Also Coils have two screws holding them in. Joe I can only imagine how you feel but keep in mind this motor may turn out to be worse than what we have.
YXZ.jpg

Oo look at that. I officially have an old sled haha. What the hell!
i think you have said before that your sled was at the dealer in spring- that would make sense why you have tuner 2's.

i think you have said before that your sled was at the dealer in spring- that would make sense why you have tuner 2's.
Ya your right. But it seems all early builds have them.

Regardless it's should be a 16 and a 16.5.

I got a 4500 dollar turbo for 2400. And some other extras. I signed the paper lol.

Back