• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Heavy Duty/High performance clutching for My Sidewinder this season

Clutches around 100. Belt 100-140. Less then 150 on belt. Shoot inside sheaves on clutches. And the belt right in the middle where it’s not in clutches. The inside sheave of primary closest to motor runs slightly warm just based on location. I have been playing with a gun recently. I’m running around 100 on secondary and around 100-110 on primary. Belt is 140-145. That’s cruising and hammering the hell out of it. I still need to check on a really long hard WFO pull. Not many places to do this. But I’m guessing I will still be under 150 on belt.

This is really the only real way to tell (https://www.razorbackusa.com/). One thing I've learned is that things change quickly in real time depending on snow conditions. Often the temps run hotter in one spot than in others, and the belt really heats up AFTER your long pull when you slow things down fast, like when you stop an wait for your buddies.

This is really the only real way to tell (https://www.razorbackusa.com/). One thing I've learned is that things change quickly in real time depending on snow conditions. Often the temps run hotter in one spot than in others, and the belt really heats up AFTER your long pull when you slow things down fast, like when you stop an wait for your buddies.

Yea that’s nice but the gun works just fine and tells you more information. He knows his primary, secondary and belt temps, not just the belt. Sh1t I just use my hand. :dunno:
I have done zero clutching on mine this year, but now that I’m able to ride

Tapp empty arms click 3, STM secondary center hole green cat spring 46/36 helix, perfect rpm on Hurricane 290. Both warm to the touch all day long all UP rail beds 500 miles logged so far. Clutch is amazing.

Thanks for the heads up, sounds very similar to what I have run. Gonna try even less secondary twist if I can get the weights light enough. I currently run a 180/410 lbs Doo primary spring so more spring is out of the question.

I let ya know

Yea that’s nice but the gun works just fine and tells you more information. He knows his primary, secondary and belt temps, not just the belt. Sh1t I just use my hand. :dunno:
I have done zero clutching on mine this year, but now that I’m able to ride

Tapp empty arms click 3, STM secondary center hole green cat spring 46/36 helix, perfect rpm on Hurricane 290. Both warm to the touch all day long all UP rail beds 500 miles logged so far. Clutch is amazing.

Thanks for the heads up, sounds very similar to what I have run. Gonna try even less secondary twist if I can get the weights light enough. I currently run a 180/410 lbs Doo primary spring so more spring is out of the question.

I’ll let ya know

:drink:

This is really the only real way to tell (https://www.razorbackusa.com/). One thingI've learned is that things change quickly in real time depending on snow conditions. Often the temps run hotter in one spot than in others, and the belt really heats up AFTER your long pull when you slow things down fast, like when you stop an wait for your buddies.
No I did LONG PULLS over 100 for 3/4 mile. And get off and pull side panel immediately. I have a heat gun on inside of jacket pocket. Shoot right way. No waiting. It’s not as instant as belt temp sensor but it’s damn close. I check just cruising also. My numbers and response to the person are IMO very good numbers. I got 3000 miles out of last belt with set up.

what belt u using ?

I thought I would share my Tapp/pro4 set up. This is for 32 psi, 116 octane.....about 400-425 hp. I chose this setting as it’s near maximum efficiency for my turbo.

Medium primary spring, +2 rollers, medium roller bolts with 2 washers on each roller bolt. 2 Allen bolts on each arm. Clickers on 3. All ramps on A. Pro4 has the white cat spring set at the middle hole. 46/36 helix. Rpm holds at 9200-9300 from launch through 660’. This clutch combo is super easy to tune. Took it on a 20 mile trail ride and I was surprised how well mannered clutches were.

Best thing is my driveshaft and belt held up.

Question for the clutching experts. My primary is set pretty heavy. I’m using an 8DN. Would you recommend trying a lighter secondary spring and a XS825 to take weight out of primary?

I thought I would share my Tapp/pro4 set up. This is for 32 psi, 116 octane.....about 400-425 hp. I chose this setting as it’s near maximum efficiency for my turbo.

Medium primary spring, +2 rollers, medium roller bolts with 2 washers on each roller bolt. 2 Allen bolts on each arm. Clickers on 3. All ramps on A. Pro4 has the white cat spring set at the middle hole. 46/36 helix. Rpm holds at 9200-9300 from launch through 660’. This clutch combo is super easy to tune. Took it on a 20 mile trail ride and I was surprised how well mannered clutches were.

Question for the clutching experts. My primary is set pretty heavy. I’m using an 8DN. Would you recommend trying a lighter secondary spring and a XS825 to take weight out of primary?
nice set up , im assuming your using the arctic cat white from dalton ? which is 96lb/157lb , epi makes a purple spring acss-5 , which is lighter 86lb/148lb , this should allow u to lighten up your primary ,

Lighter is always better imo. How was the clutch heat with the 8dn?
I quit running it because it was wearing my sheaves years back. Hard as a frickin rock.
I did like the trail manners tho.
Seemed to slip some down low and would wear at the very bottom of the sheave.
The XS belt has a wide range of tolerance for belt tension and is more forgiving as conditions change.
I tried the cat red/white some time back with the same helix you have, in my STM secondary. I can’t remember if I was on the XS belt or not tho? I do remember I had slippage tho and switched to the cat green. I have also run the STM orange in the lowest wrap setting, seems to run hot with that spring tho.

I will try the purple EPI in the middle and see how it works out.

Clutch temperatures are good. Checked multiple times and they were only warm to the touch.

I ordered the purple EPI spring after reading the reply from Sledding Rocks. Hopefully it shows up quickly so I can try it this weekend.

I didn’t notice anything on the secondary from the 8DN. Probably just going to switch to the XS.

Thanks for the help.

nice set up , im assuming your using the arctic cat white from dalton ? which is 96lb/157lb , epi makes a purple spring acss-5 , which is lighter 86lb/148lb , this should allow u to lighten up your primary ,
Thanks, purple EPI on the way.

well I just received my Tapp clutch , a piece of art for sure , mine came with the black spring , 140/210 , 1mm roller = 12.5 grams , clicker #3 . ill try it this way first to see how close it will be to run 9000 rpm , im going to first try it on my stock secondary with the 8jp belt , black /orange at 6-3 and black/tan 3-2 , then ill try the xs 825 belt , the nice thing we have many option to tune this clutch , fyi rollers standard r 9.9 grams , 1mm 12.5 grams , 2mm 15.3 grams , might need to order some standard rollers also ,

well I just received my Tapp clutch , a piece of art for sure , mine came with the black spring , 140/210 , 1mm roller = 12.5 grams , clicker #3 . ill try it this way first to see how close it will be to run 9000 rpm , im going to first try it on my stock secondary with the 8jp belt , black /orange at 6-3 and black/tan 3-2 , then ill try the xs 825 belt , the nice thing we have many option to tune this clutch , fyi rollers standard r 9.9 grams , 1mm 12.5 grams , 2mm 15.3 grams , might need to order some standard rollers also ,
Just remember, that the smaller rollers are not just lighter, they change the geometry (less aggressive) so that's a big step. For instance, apples to apples I went from the naked +2's to the +1's, and I had to add ~7g's of weight and that setup is still less aggressive than the naked +2's.

Back