• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Kimpex Stealth ski - no keel?

Weird...I see them, both on my Ipad and PC. I did have to log back on though. :dunno:

New Kimpex Stealth ski - no keel? - prelim review added

I managed to put on about 200km yesterday on these skis, so my opinion is a preliminary one at best, especially with the conditions I was riding in. After the big melt from last weekend, the base of the trails were icy and bulletproof, with between 5 & 10 cm of fresh light snow that just fell overnight/morning.

On straightaways, these skis darted for me at this point in the day, probably because the single carbide runner didn't penetrate into the ice and the second non carbide runner wasn't even touching. In the corners the skis did dig in and turn, quite well in fact.

As the day wore on and temperatures rose above freezing, the trails loosened up and the runners started to dig into the base and darting virtually disappeared. Much like the Arrows, the Stealth ski turned pretty easily and quite effectively, even causing some inside ski lift or pop, which I had dialed out of it 2 weeks ago with the C&A Outlaws, so I know that the skis are working better. With some more time on them, and maybe some suspension adjustments to reduce the inside ski lift, I'm sure these skis will handle awesome. The ruts from previous sledders' skis didn't affect where these skis wanted to go...these skis just crossed over them, except when the trail was pretty icy early in the day.

At road crossings, the carbides did dig into the gravel and required extra throttle off the line to get moving, and it's possible that these skis might take a little bit of top end speed due to drag, as when I let off the throttle, the sled felt like it was slowing down quicker than before. Reversing with these skis on asphalt (gas station) was a chore too, as the track would spin and the skis kind of jerked/hopped from all the friction causing by the carbide.

Right now, I'm contemplating buying another pair of carbide runners and swap them with the shorter non carbide ones. I feel that this would eliminate the darting I had on ice and even out the pressure across the ski, much like the Arrow skis I have.

Again, this is an early assessment of how I felt these skis performed. I hope to get time on some well set up trails to see how well they'll handle. Would like to see how they'd they do in powder too...if that will happen? I don't know.

mine should be here monday, my sled is still in a pile. Maybe ride next weekend.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the difference in height. will the standard carbide bolt right in place of the short one?

BETHEVIPER said:
mine should be here monday, my sled is still in a pile. Maybe ride next weekend.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the difference in height. will the standard carbide bolt right in place of the short one?

Just ordered a set of the taller carbide runners...hope to test it out next weekend.

These skis turn even better now and dart less on icy surfaces since I installed the second set of carbides. I really can't comment much on how tough it would be to turn the handlebars as I have power steering, but I did feel a little more feedback from the skis. The back end slides around the corners more as the skis bite quite hard. I'm starting to really like these skis. I would like to give it more time though and test them out in looser snow conditions and powder. Bring on more snow!

Got mine, with with all carbides. sled still not together and I leave for a week for teh dominican. It will be a while. I love the look of the ski though, very nice, simple, better looking tip than the last ones. Like that you can mess with center off set. Those carbides sure are heavy, though the ski is light not having any keel what so ever.

Nice right up. Wonder how they compare to Yamaha's tuner skis which I have and like so far.

BETHEVIPER, don't bother installing your skis just yet. I just got a call from my Distributor saying that the Stealth ski has been recalled! Apparently, something about the pocket where the runners sit in required a redesign. I'm getting a new set of ski blades being sent out early next week, but I do have to send mine back...crap. Call your Distributor to see if yours is affected.

grimm any word on the recall, i'm thinking about buying a brand new set for my mountain max . a buddy bought them never used them. Never heard about a recall here but i see Dennis kirk said they are no longer available on the web page.
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-stealt ... 106071.prd
I'm just wondering how hard it's going to be to get carbides in the future or will other arrow kimpex carbides work. may have to mod a set.thanks!

Grimm said:
BETHEVIPER, don't bother installing your skis just yet. I just got a call from my Distributor saying that the Stealth ski has been recalled! Apparently, something about the pocket where the runners sit in required a redesign. I'm getting a new set of ski blades being sent out early next week, but I do have to send mine back...crap. Call your Distributor to see if yours is affected.

Back