• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Kimpex Stealth ski - no keel?

I briefly spoke with a Rep from Kimpex late last week. He mentioned that on some skis, the mount holes were drilled out in the wrong location. I don't know about availability though...hopefully get my replacement set early next week.

I don't think anyone makes a set of carbides for the Stealth ski, only Kimpex. They are a pretty unique design.

got my skis today, bummer though, they have no carbides just two sets of the standard wear pads. i don't have time to wait two weeks for carbides. i'm going to spot some hard surface welding in some sections . it will last more than the actual wear rod. i will work until the carbides get in stock.I think i will make some of these bars this summer, looks simple enough. I will be powder running them shortly. will let you know the outcome.

Grimm said:
I briefly spoke with a Rep from Kimpex late last week. He mentioned that on some skis, the mount holes were drilled out in the wrong location. I don't know about availability though...hopefully get my replacement set early next week.

I don't think anyone makes a set of carbides for the Stealth ski, only Kimpex. They are a pretty unique design.

just got back and no snow. skis still setting on the bench. how do you tell if you have the newer version? I got mine with two sets of carbides, no where rod.

that sucks, we have plenty but minus 30c is too cold to ride. if you decide
to only use one set of carbides i maybe interested in them if your selling.

BETHEVIPER said:
just got back and no snow. skis still setting on the bench. how do you tell if you have the newer version? I got mine with two sets of carbides, no where rod.

talked to kimpex. The issue is in the height of the hole that was drilled through the side where the bushing is for the bolt to hold the ski on.
some of them, were milled wrong. He said about 75% were fine. They can drop ship them direct to the customer as long as the retailer you bought them from has the old one in hand.

That's what I am hoping the problem was. Mine split the ski rubbers. I'll find out tomorrow when I install my replacement skis.

Did you try the dual carbide setup? I talked to him about it and he told me that I would not be able to turn the sled there would be so much on the groud. this sounded crazy as I ran a couple sets of arrows with 6in carbides, one set with shapers that were very deep with no steering effort issues. finally snowing in northern maine so I might get to try them out finally.

No problem turning the skis with 2 sets of carbides, but I do have power steering ;)! This past weekend, my power steering wasn't working for the first few minutes and I noticed a bit more steering pressure, but it paled in comparison to running my Nytro with C&A Outlaws.

went to mount my kimpex skis today , but ran into a problem. it mounts through the spindle fine, but the rubber block is not near thick enough to make up the gap between the spindle and ski. with your mount kit was there a rubber pad with it. My old skis have a block built into the saddle of the ski to compensate for the gap. I may have to make something if it's not available.thanks!

Grimm said:
No problem turning the skis with 2 sets of carbides, but I do have power steering ;)! This past weekend, my power steering wasn't working for the first few minutes and I noticed a bit more steering pressure, but it paled in comparison to running my Nytro with C&A Outlaws.

The mount kit should have come with a 3/4in block of plastic to go under the spindle. I got my replacement skis today with the holes drilled in the correct positions. Surprise, they made them better by 1/16 but still not correct. I wouldn't have bothered to exchange them if I had known that is what I would have gotten. I am just going to plane off the plastic block to 5/8 and then it will be correct.
This is a replay of 5 years ago when I got my first pair of arrows. the mounts were not right and I had to mess with shimming the rubber with a piece of lexan.
Kimpex makes some decent stuff but their quality control is not good.

mine didn"t come with the plastic block, so i went and got a bombardier spindle rubber. fit in the spindle pretty decent and made up for the slop in the skis . what a difference in flotation though and handling seems nice. I'm hoping to get a few miles on these around the fields before i make any long trips. I have a trip in powder planned for the weekend, hope they pan out.

BETHEVIPER said:
The mount kit should have come with a 3/4in block of plastic to go under the spindle. I got my replacement skis today with the holes drilled in the correct positions. Surprise, they made them better by 1/16 but still not correct. I wouldn't have bothered to exchange them if I had known that is what I would have gotten. I am just going to plane off the plastic block to 5/8 and then it will be correct.
This is a replay of 5 years ago when I got my first pair of arrows. the mounts were not right and I had to mess with shimming the rubber with a piece of lexan.
Kimpex makes some decent stuff but their quality control is not good.

Hopefully you guys are sledding today. Its a holiday in Ontario and the US so I want an update soon. :)

My mountain max loves them, 1000 km or more no issues. i'm going to get a set for my srx next winter. Nite and day difference. And if your handy you can make your own wear bars pretty easy. :Rockon:

Back