• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Kimpex Stealth ski - no keel?

I put a little over 500mles on this year. Love the ski. They float decent, look good, handle great, steer easy.
I have both carbides, no dummy bar.

I was worried they might drag alot in the mud of spring but to my surprise, no, they cut such a small profile from the front, they just slice right through.

If I was to ask kimpex to do something with them, it would to step the extra width up and make the carbide blades longer so you have even more keel. When you ride off trail, the sled doesn't want to turn as well as I think it could, or should. I believe it is the falt of the short keel. The ski turns so easy on the trail that they could easily add a couple inches to each end on one carbide and leave the other short. all in all, if you like the arows or tuners but want more float and a better look, these are nice. if you want light weight, they are the heaviest ski I think I have used.
11 lb 3oz each ski
arrows are 7lb 13oz
tuners are 7lb even at 1/2in wider

I think the lightest ski I ever weighed was a powder hound at around 5lbs. I can not believe how chincy the powder hounds are made and how well they last. My set has been on 5 different sleds and must have several thousand miles on them by now and I got them used.

I would like to see someone make a set of aluminum blades for these skis that would hold a carbide. Most of the extra weight is in the blades that form the keels.

i also found that about the off trail riding could like you said use a little longer carbide. but in saying that my arms are not tore off trying to keep it on the trail and no more snow in my face ;)!

BETHEVIPER said:
I put a little over 500mles on this year. Love the ski. They float decent, look good, handle great, steer easy.
I have both carbides, no dummy bar.

I was worried they might drag alot in the mud of spring but to my surprise, no, they cut such a small profile from the front, they just slice right through.

If I was to ask kimpex to do something with them, it would to step the extra width up and make the carbide blades longer so you have even more keel. When you ride off trail, the sled doesn't want to turn as well as I think it could, or should. I believe it is the falt of the short keel. The ski turns so easy on the trail that they could easily add a couple inches to each end on one carbide and leave the other short. all in all, if you like the arows or tuners but want more float and a better look, these are nice. if you want light weight, they are the heaviest ski I think I have used.
11 lb 3oz each ski
arrows are 7lb 13oz
tuners are 7lb even at 1/2in wider

I think the lightest ski I ever weighed was a powder hound at around 5lbs. I can not believe how chincy the powder hounds are made and how well they last. My set has been on 5 different sleds and must have several thousand miles on them by now and I got them used.

I would like to see someone make a set of aluminum blades for these skis that would hold a carbide. Most of the extra weight is in the blades that form the keels.

Here's a more long term review of my experience with the Kimpex Stealth ski. I would guess that I have about 2500 km on them this winter now.

When the trails are set up hard, these skis turn awesome...just point and shoot. I ended up getting a lot of inside ski lift around the corners, so I mounted the spacers on the ski spindles to allow a wider stance. I also lowered the front suspension by softening up the ski springs. Unfortunately, I started to get too much body roll in the corners, so I bought and installed a 13mm swaybar. It made the sled handle a lot better, stiffer and more nimble in the corners with only an occasional inside ski lift.

Steering is pretty easy. Granted, I have power steering, but a couple of times my power steering wasn't working when first starting off, and I didn't noticed excessive force was needed, even using two sets of the taller carbide runners.

Darting? Only on the rare occasion of a frozen rutted up trail, but no ski can overcome that, else these skis do not dart.

I am finding that these skis push in loose snow conditions though and that is becoming more evident as I've ridden in some softer and slushier snow this spring. Even on fresh groomed trails where the snow hasn't set, I find the front end sliding sideways more around the corners and I can't ride the sled near as hard as before. BETHEVIPER, as you said, the runners should be longer and I agree, but I feel that the ski profile should incorporate keels like a regular ski has, not totally flat and smooth as it is now. Perhaps a set of outer ribs on the edges of the skis to trap snow and track better in softer snow conditions.

I have 2 safety concerns about these skis.

After about a 1000 km, I contacted Kimpex about the ski rubbers splitting apart. The 2011+ Apex ski rubbers have quite a thin profile to begin with and when I installed the skis, I noticed how much pressure was needed to affix the ski to the spindle. Over time and over bumps, a lot of pressure is put on the ski rubbers, so eventually they would just split. Kimpex reimbursed me for the new ski rubbers after I made them aware of this problem. This past weekend, I lost control while running alongside a road and ended up darting out onto the roadway! Fortunately, no vehicles were coming and I managed to get back onto the trail with a little extra oomph in steering it back. When I got back onto the trail, I noticed that my left ski was bouncing around after every little bump on the trail. I pulled off trail and saw that my ski rubber was totally gone! Amazing what a little piece of rubber can do for control, as each corner was difficult to navigate...no more point and shoot ski. It was like trying to turn on pavement. For the latest generation Apex guys, keep an eye on them ski rubbers. Btw, the right ski rubber remained, but was split like before.

My second safety concern has to deal with the carbide runners themselves. I feel these could be an accident waiting to happen. When these runners wear, the front carbide pieces become exposed and risk getting hooked on railway lines, road crossings, bridge expansion joints, etc. I cringe everytime I pass over a railroad crossing, for fear of going over the bars. I took a couple of pictures last night, and I'll post them here tonight to show how much these carbide runners have worn in 2500 km...they are not pretty, scary really.

I really wanted to love these skis. They showed promise...no darting, turning ability, flotation, etc., but I can't recommend them due to the aforementioned issues I have with them. I'm going to contact Kimpex about the ski rubber issue, but last night I ended up putting my C&A Outlaw skis back on...about 15cm of new snow on the ground! LaLaLa

great review. I have not had any trouble with rubbers splitting just because i abandoned the yamaha ones that are thinner and used bombi ones that are thicker. I also made my own carbides leaving out the wear bars front and back just 4 inches in the middle. checked them the other day and still look good. I have about 1500 km on mine.If kimpex addressed these issues maybe they could make a good and safe ski.But the market today has no quality control. Everything you buy today has to be modded in some form or another. wish we could just go back to the old days when you bought something and was worth the money you paid for it. :o|

Grimm said:
Here's a more long term review of my experience with the Kimpex Stealth ski. I would guess that I have about 2500 km on them this winter now.

When the trails are set up hard, these skis turn awesome...just point and shoot. I ended up getting a lot of inside ski lift around the corners, so I mounted the spacers on the ski spindles to allow a wider stance. I also lowered the front suspension by softening up the ski springs. Unfortunately, I started to get too much body roll in the corners, so I bought and installed a 13mm swaybar. It made the sled handle a lot better, stiffer and more nimble in the corners with only an occasional inside ski lift.

Steering is pretty easy. Granted, I have power steering, but a couple of times my power steering wasn't working when first starting off, and I didn't noticed excessive force was needed, even using two sets of the taller carbide runners.

Darting? Only on the rare occasion of a frozen rutted up trail, but no ski can overcome that, else these skis do not dart.

I am finding that these skis push in loose snow conditions though and that is becoming more evident as I've ridden in some softer and slushier snow this spring. Even on fresh groomed trails where the snow hasn't set, I find the front end sliding sideways more around the corners and I can't ride the sled near as hard as before. BETHEVIPER, as you said, the runners should be longer and I agree, but I feel that the ski profile should incorporate keels like a regular ski has, not totally flat and smooth as it is now. Perhaps a set of outer ribs on the edges of the skis to trap snow and track better in softer snow conditions.

I have 2 safety concerns about these skis.

After about a 1000 km, I contacted Kimpex about the ski rubbers splitting apart. The 2011+ Apex ski rubbers have quite a thin profile to begin with and when I installed the skis, I noticed how much pressure was needed to affix the ski to the spindle. Over time and over bumps, a lot of pressure is put on the ski rubbers, so eventually they would just split. Kimpex reimbursed me for the new ski rubbers after I made them aware of this problem. This past weekend, I lost control while running alongside a road and ended up darting out onto the roadway! Fortunately, no vehicles were coming and I managed to get back onto the trail with a little extra oomph in steering it back. When I got back onto the trail, I noticed that my left ski was bouncing around after every little bump on the trail. I pulled off trail and saw that my ski rubber was totally gone! Amazing what a little piece of rubber can do for control, as each corner was difficult to navigate...no more point and shoot ski. It was like trying to turn on pavement. For the latest generation Apex guys, keep an eye on them ski rubbers. Btw, the right ski rubber remained, but was split like before.

My second safety concern has to deal with the carbide runners themselves. I feel these could be an accident waiting to happen. When these runners wear, the front carbide pieces become exposed and risk getting hooked on railway lines, road crossings, bridge expansion joints, etc. I cringe everytime I pass over a railroad crossing, for fear of going over the bars. I took a couple of pictures last night, and I'll post them here tonight to show how much these carbide runners have worn in 2500 km...they are not pretty, scary really.

I really wanted to love these skis. They showed promise...no darting, turning ability, flotation, etc., but I can't recommend them due to the aforementioned issues I have with them. I'm going to contact Kimpex about the ski rubber issue, but last night I ended up putting my C&A Outlaw skis back on...about 15cm of new snow on the ground! LaLaLa

I would love to see Eversharp make a set of carbides for these skis and use the full slot for extra keel. Eversharps would be even thinner with less of a cross section and even less drag and would get rid of the issue with the carbide chipping out. I noticed that on mine when I took them off the other day. I'll hit them with a green wheel before putting them back on.
on the spacers, you need to run them through the planer or make up new ones from lexan or marguard, they are not going to fix the issue even after sending me new skis, same issue, I remove some material but my rubbers are still starting to cut. I think it is not from being too tight but from the collar and ski flexing in a hard landing, thus closing this already tight gap. I think it is more of a flex thing. I think I will pick up a set of doo rubbers as well to try and lose the spacer.

If they would only consult with me before they bring product to market, I could save them alot of problems as well as get me some free stuff.
everyone would win.

Here are the pics I took of the wear on the carbide runners. Note the exposed front edge of the carbide...how easy it could catch something solid and create damage to the sled.

Attachments

• Stealth2.jpg
    Stealth2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 331
  • stealth1.jpg
    stealth1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 370
Mine has small wear spots on the metal portion and little on the back part of carbide but no gouges or missing carbide. this summer i plan to make a set with six or 8 inch carbide . maybe stop the wear and pushing through powder snow. all this is a cheap set of ski doo carbides cut the rod and welded into the kimpex wear bars . don't know how thick the kimpex carbides were but maybe that is the problem, too thin and it wears on the sides. I plan on making something this summer. this was only a quick fix because i didn't want to chuck out $100 for carbides and wait half the winter to get them . i made these for $25 and a half hour of welding

here's the link to the pic
http://s753.photobucket.com/user/ebayfr ... 5.jpg.html

Great reviews guys. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully someone will make a set of carbides for these that fixes all of the issues.

I wonder why the Yamaha rubber would fail with these skies but not with the Tuners?

It turns out that the replacement skis I received from my Distributor were part of the recall as well. :o| This is probably the reason the ski rubbers split on me again.

Here is the letter I got from Kimpex on how to identify if your ski was part of the recall.

Attachments

• recall.jpg
    recall.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 351
Well that's good news. So you'll get a new pair! If your still not satisfied with them maybe I can take them of your hands. I'm in Ottawa too and currently looking for a used Apex so I'll want to replace the stock skies...

I may take you up on that offer. Yesterday, I put my Kimpex Arrow skis back on my sled and hope to get a run in on the weekend. The only issue I have with the Arrow ski is the width...not good in deeper snow.

I was sent a second set and they were really not any different. I ended up planing the block off on the edger.
if you take it down to 5/8in, the will be fine and installation will be much easier.

Why they went this direction I will never know. They made such a great ski in the arrow.

If they had made the lower section with just arrow style keels that go from end to end with the extra width, and maybe a stepped flat section or rolled down edge to trap more snow in a corner.

I am keeping mine as I love the look, they do handle great, no issues of handling other than the off trail, small keel thing. I will make my own blades if they don't make something longer.

Back