• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New ski upgrade recommendations !!

slapshot

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper STX-DX
Hello, I have a 2015 STX-DX and I would like to upgrade these terrible tuner skis to something else. Ideally I would like a set that I can just bolt on and go without messing around with shims and stuff or really having to play with my suspension. What is the best all around and easiest to bolt on and go set of ski's and carbides for my sled? Thanks in advance...

Thats a loaded question. some guys like curve,mohawks,slt,cat ski,pilot ski, and others. Any of these would be a huge upgrade. Carbides is also a loaded question. Most people seem to have great luck with snowtrackers on any ski. I hope this helps.

Ishpeming fan is correct. I went the Cat ski rout. I figured they designed and built the sled and I don’t see as many Cat guys complaining about there skis as Yami guys. The Viper came with them on the 2014’s. They are a big improvement and inexpensive compared to most of the aftermarket skis. I do not have any experience with any of the others

Thanks and yes I have read all of those skis are an improvement but which are the easiest to install without having to fuss with rubbers and shims or having to mess around with the suspension. I'm looking for a bolt on and go improvement...

All around ski?
Mountain, crossover or trail riding?
I went with a crossover ski for my definition of all around ski.
Works pretty good on trail, off trail, loose snow conditions and hard pack trail.

A cross over ski sounds right. I do trail, off trail, frozen river but no mountain riding. I was considering the Mohawks, are they a bolt on and go ski or did you have to fuss with them and play with your suspension much? What carbides are you running?

You do need to get the Cat rubber for under the spindle if you go that rout. Search in the Vioer section there is a lot of ski info there. Most any ski change will require a change or modification to the rubber. Most of the aftermarket skis require installation kits.

A cross over ski sounds right. I do trail, off trail, frozen river but no mountain riding. I was considering the Mohawks, are they a bolt on and go ski or did you have to fuss with them and play with your suspension much? What carbides are you running?

I have the mowhawks on my sidewinder with a single runner 6 in carbide. I did adjust my center spring pressure to my liking and that's it.
This year I am going to install snow studs double down runners just to help it steer easier for me.

I swapped Mohawks onto My Sidewinder and trey literally transformed the sled in to a corner carving beast and they keep the nose up on these heavy sleds in deep snow!!

I do find the Mohawks are hard to turn; I have them on my XTX and they are excellent in deep snow, but require a lot of effort to turn on the trail. I will be interested to see what 1nc 2000 find after installing the double down runners!

I do find the Mohawks are hard to turn; I have them on my XTX and they are excellent in deep snow, but require a lot of effort to turn on the trail. I will be interested to see what 1nc 2000 find after installing the double down runners!
I find the steering effort to be light with a Mohawks annd a 6" woodys runner, much better then the "Tuna" skis because I could adjust the suspension properly due to no more push...

I use the curve skis with 4 inch leading edge and 6 inch shaper bars. I find this is a great combo. No darting with the leading edge,bites corners great,and not much more than stock steering effort if set up properly. Travis from Barn of Parts can set you up with a pair. Like I said before,you can go with an endless choice of set ups that work better than stock.It all depends on personal choice.I used stock 2014 rubber blocks on the curves.I did change to curve blocks after the stock ones wore out.

Tuner 3's and snowtrackers work really good on the 2020 Viper with the new front spindles.

You mentioned a couple times Not wanting to mess with your suspension I would suggest that you learn how to adjust your suspension and what different adjustments will do because regardless of the ski choice or the Brand of snowmobile it will never ride or handle to its full abilities if it’s not adjusted for you

I've played with my suspension some and have added a Stingray spring but I'm not that experienced. I'd prefer a bolt on and go set up without having to make shims or monkey around with the suspension too much. I ended up getting a set of Sly dog Attack ski's with 6" Stud boy shaper bars and their installation kit. Hopefully they will work out well.

Back