• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New skis for 2011 Apex XTX

Hunter7

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Apex xtx
Hello, new to the forum. I recently bought a 2011 Apex XTX. The sled is bone stock with 4000 km on it. Have not owned a sled in many years, first 4 stroke for me. Love the power but heavy like a tank. Do a mix of on trail and off trail riding, depending on where the rest of my crew feel like going. On the groomed trail it is like driving a Ferrari but off trail handles and plows like a bulldozer. Anyway was thinking about about doing a ski upgrade. Has anyone tried the newer Slydog attack skis on their Apex? Was thinking of going with the attack ski with Slim Jim 6” Dooley. Was also considering the Curve XS or even the Slydog Powderhound 8”. Don’t want to give up good trail handling but also want better flotation and handling off trail.

Totally agree with Stubbs, Yamaha MTX skies with snow trackers, or Yamaha VKpro ski, both have the deep keel both are 7" wide, I run the VK pro skis on my 16 XTX with snow trackers, Ski was easier to source than the MTX at the time, pretty much same ski other than the rear off the ski is curved better for backing, drives straight as a arrow no tracking, way better flotation than stock skies.

the stock 2011 skis worked really well on trail. i did run a set of curve xs skis on mine for a season and they where good until the trails got loose but worked well off trail. my go to ski is the 09 mtx ski with 1/4" shim at the rear. it turns no matter what and the bumper stays above the snow better off trail. running the mtx ski on almost everything that they fit on. only thing that doesn't have them on is the phazer rtx/x as they bight too hard on that sled and really suprise the rider. that one runs the curve xs skis with the 1/4" shim as well.

I just snagged a pair of SLP powder pros new for $200.. I was unhappy with the stock ski in deep snow so ill report back when the snow returns...

Simmons Flexi Ski Gen 3.

All others are inferior, been there and done it.

You can take this to the bank and thank me later.

The Sly Dog 7” wide Powder Hound ski with Snow Trackers are the best ski I have used and I’ve tried many .
Excellent flotation. Excellent steering and tracking and the reverse Keel stops the plowing better than most . The ski is very flexible in the tip and I think this helps with bumps.
I did not run them on an Apex but on both of my Vectors with the same body style as your sled . And you can’t beat the colors you can get !

Finally got the new skis. I ended up buying C&A Pro MTX mountain skis with Slim Jim dooly 6” carbide. It is like a different sled now. Not sure how these would compare to other skis but I am quite happy with them. Better flotation, better handling, now feels more like I am driving the sled instead of it driving me. It is still a bit of a handful in deeper powder but still better than before. Don’t understand why Yamaha would put such skinny skis on such a heavy machine. Stocks skis are fine on the trail but that’s all they are good for. Only thing that sucks now is that after a couple of rides my starter decided to pack it in, now going to have to fix that.

Finally got the new skis. I ended up buying C&A Pro MTX mountain skis with Slim Jim dooly 6” carbide. It is like a different sled now. Not sure how these would compare to other skis but I am quite happy with them. Better flotation, better handling, now feels more like I am driving the sled instead of it driving me. It is still a bit of a handful in deeper powder but still better than before. Don’t understand why Yamaha would put such skinny skis on such a heavy machine. Stocks skis are fine on the trail but that’s all they are good for. Only thing that sucks now is that after a couple of rides my starter decided to pack it in, now going to have to fix that.
Really glad I just read your post!! I have an apex 144" with snow trackers on vk pro 7" skis. The vk have a wide keel similar to the ca pro. Just bought a nytro 144 with ca pro on it and it stets HEAVY. It's bad. I'm glad to hear you say the doolys help this. I was hesitant to spend a bunch of money on the carbides and find out it was the ski! I might find them a yet whatever this carbide is has to go. Not working and it's too long.

Your skis are 8" on a 144 Apex???

Attachments

• FB0F60C8-3B07-4DA5-ACB0-7F5B031DC3DC.jpeg
    FB0F60C8-3B07-4DA5-ACB0-7F5B031DC3DC.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 3D12FF12-2486-4B6C-BBBD-FC731A937466.jpeg
    3D12FF12-2486-4B6C-BBBD-FC731A937466.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 62
So with the doolys and mtx ca pro the trail manners are ok and steering not too heavy?

Totally agree with Stubbs, Yamaha MTX skies with snow trackers, or Yamaha VKpro ski, both have the deep keel both are 7" wide, I run the VK pro skis on my 16 XTX with snow trackers, Ski was easier to source than the MTX at the time, pretty much same ski other than the rear off the ski is curved better for backing, drives straight as a arrow no tracking, way better flotation than stock skies.
Anyone have a pic or link of the vk pro skis. I'm fairly certain it's what's on my 144 apex. Particularly im looking for a pic of the bottom. One apex I have what i think is the vk pro with snow trackers 7" wide ski handles awesome. My other apex us skidoo 5.7 with the 6"/4" combo while it's wicked too its different and darty. I prefer the wider ski but both handle really really well. I have got a new used nytro came with ca pro mtx. Sounds like there might be hope if I bolt some snowtrackers on it????

Are these skis vk pro?

Attachments

• F61121CD-17FD-4493-AFAE-9C6B386EAB74.jpeg
    F61121CD-17FD-4493-AFAE-9C6B386EAB74.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 63
  • 2A75F674-92F5-45BA-A825-376750A9CD90.jpeg
    2A75F674-92F5-45BA-A825-376750A9CD90.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 62
Those look like VK skis to me, the MTX skis were spooky close to SLP Powder Pros in profile. I like them the best.

Back