• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New skis for 2011 Apex XTX

ski in pic is vk ski. apex mtx ski has the spindle bolt below a flange on the side of the ski. that one is below the bolt in the pic.

ski in pic is vk ski. apex mtx ski has the spindle bolt below a flange on the side of the ski. that one is below the bolt in the pic.
Ok good to know. Really helps as I'm going to get some new snowtrackers. Sounds like these vk skis can be a real bear to steer without a dooly or snowtracker on them too?

idk. i run apex mtx skis on my sled and only have had trouble steering when the trail is fresh groomed and temp dropped to -30c from -5c overnight. keels would not sink in that day at all. otherwise it steers great.

idk. i run apex mtx skis on my sled and only have had trouble steering when the trail is fresh groomed and temp dropped to -30c from -5c overnight. keels would not sink in that day at all. otherwise it steers great.
what runners?

I ran aggressive snow trackers on my MTX skis this season and found them to be a little much in certain conditions, but this is the first season I’ve been unstudded in a long time. Next season I’m gonna try a set of semi’s and see how it goes.

Really glad I just read your post!! I have an apex 144" with snow trackers on vk pro 7" skis. The vk have a wide keel similar to the ca pro. Just bought a nytro 144 with ca pro on it and it stets HEAVY. It's bad. I'm glad to hear you say the doolys help this. I was hesitant to spend a bunch of money on the carbides and find out it was the ski! I might find them a yet whatever this carbide is has to go. Not working and it's too long.

Your skis are 8" on a 144 Apex???
Yes the C&A Pro MTX skis are 8” wide. As far as the steering, if anything I think it steers easier now than with the factory skis BUT keep in mind it is a 2011 with power steering. Must say I love the power steering. On trail manners seem to be good, no complaints but it was good on the trail with stock skis too. Off trail was a different matter though, like driving a bulldozer, now with the C&A MTX it turns far better. It also rides nicer too now, because the skis float better, the front end is up a little higher in deeper snow which shifts more weight to the rear to provide a smoother ride. The 6” Slim Jim Doolys seem to be working out ok. The C&A pros weren’t cheap but Im not sorry I bought them, my Apex xtx is far more enjoyable to ride now.

Yes the C&A Pro MTX skis are 8” wide. As far as the steering, if anything I think it steers easier now than with the factory skis BUT keep in mind it is a 2011 with power steering. Must say I love the power steering. On trail manners seem to be good, no complaints but it was good on the trail with stock skis too. Off trail was a different matter though, like driving a bulldozer, now with the C&A MTX it turns far better. It also rides nicer too now, because the skis float better, the front end is up a little higher in deeper snow which shifts more weight to the rear to provide a smoother ride. The 6” Slim Jim Doolys seem to be working out ok. The C&A pros weren’t cheap but Im not sorry I bought them, my Apex xtx is far more enjoyable to ride now.
Those doolys might be the answer. I called ca pro and snowtracker both. Ca didn't recommend by dooly brand but they suggested dual runners

Note to everyone, Slim Jim Doolys DO NOT fit Slydog skis.

I originally decided on the new Slydog Attack ski, with Slim Jim Doolys. Ordered them from Royal Distributing. They were listed as a compatible fit. I get my order and they do NOT fit. Yes the bolt stud pattern is correct but the ski is to thick, not enough thread on the bolts to contact the nylon lock on the nut. I still wanted to run the Doolys so I decided to exchange the Slydogs for the C&A Pros even though they cost a lot more. I first called C&A and they assured me that the Slim Jims would fit. Royal Distributing was very good to deal with, they sent me a return label for the Slydogs and shipped out the C&A skis. I know Slydogs are a popular ski and they looked impressive and of good quality, just not compatible with Slim Jims but it all worked out for me in the end. I can’t comment on how these would work on an Apex without power steering, but with power steering, awesome and highly recommended.

Anyone have a pic or link of the vk pro skis. I'm fairly certain it's what's on my 144 apex. Particularly im looking for a pic of the bottom. One apex I have what i think is the vk pro with snow trackers 7" wide ski handles awesome. My other apex us skidoo 5.7 with the 6"/4" combo while it's wicked too its different and darty. I prefer the wider ski but both handle really really well. I have got a new used nytro came with ca pro mtx. Sounds like there might be hope if I bolt some snowtrackers on it????

Are these skis vk pro?
Those are the VK pro skis, that is what I am running on my Apex with aggressive snow trackers, they have the deep profile like the older MTX mountain skis, I like how the curve on the back of the ski is higher for better backing up, mine tracks straight as a arrow on groom trails and very stabile, better in the deeper snow then the stock tuner ski

Back