• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to Yamaha

marc001

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Apex SE 2017 Yamaha SideWinder LTX LE
Just picked up my 2014 Yamaha Apex SE, anything I should know about this sled or anything to watch for? I've always rode two strokes and never been on a four stroke. My riding style is 99% groomed trails (rails to trails).

marc001 said:
Just picked up my 2014 Yamaha Apex SE, anything I should know about this sled or anything to watch for? I've always rode two strokes and never been on a four stroke. My riding style is 99% groomed trails (rails to trails).

Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to the site.

Not much to tell you other than check out the Apex section for updates, mods, issues etc but I doubt you'll need to very often.

Where are you from and where do you ride mostly?

Welcome to a whole new world of snowmobiling! No worry's about oil, the smell or carrying extra with you for each gas stop.
Make sure you get a lesson on the suspension set up from your dealer. There is a lot to play with to customize the ride you are looking for.
Next have fun adn enjoy the winter!

Marc,

I will quote my good friend after swapping sleds for an afternoon (My 09 Nytro XTX for his 10 Renegade 800R) "Holy CRAP. That things feels like a #$@*% crotch rocket!"

So while 2-strokes may be faster, the torque comes on so quick and explosive the feel of the Yamaha's is pretty incomparable.

On top of that, through an exhaust on it and you will have the best sounding sled to ever grace the snow,

Irv, I'm from Howard City MI and most of my riding is between Rocford and Cadillac (White Pine Trail)

IMO, you made the right choice buying the 128" SE over the 144 XTX for trail riding.

Just do your first oil and filter change in the 500 mi range and enjoy!

marc001 wrote:
Irv, I'm from Howard City MI and most of my riding is between Rocford and Cadillac (White Pine Trail)

I ride the Cadillac trails and my inlaws have a place next to the White Pine. You will love the sled on that trail. It will be a fast ride and you will be addicted to the 4 stroke torque, ride and sound! Maybe see ya on the trail!

Re: snowtrackers

smitdog55 said:
\I would get a set of snowtrackers, 171 studs 1.325 megabites, and DuPont sliders! You will fall in love!!!

I would not look into Snowtrackers just yet. Your sled comes with Tuner skis. Mine had a single keel ski.. Tuners are a dual keel ski that reduce darting quite well and since you have EPS, feel free to throw as much carbide at it as you desire without fear of heavy steering. I bought Tuners for my sled and like them but have not tried Snowtrackers on the OE skis... so FWIW.

I put on about 1500 miles last season on my SE without any visible wear to the Dupont sliders... highly recommended.

If you stud, look into bracing the tunnel protectors...(do a search) and increase the rear heat exchanger protection.

I spent a little money at Hygear suspension last fall. Their improvements for all three shocks make a great riding sled even better!

Enjoy!!! You have the Cadillac....

Thanks for the comments! I'll check on the Dupont sliders, I've heard a lot of good things about those. I will leave the track as is (no studs) I had the 1 1/4" lug ripsaw track on my mxz 800 and it hooked up really good. I'm just so ready for the snow to fly!!!!!!

Well you are going to love it. The only complaint people have is "weight'.

I can believe the deep snow off trail Mountain rider has a legitamate beef BUT a trail rider, NO.

You have THE BEST!!!!
;)! ;)! ;)!

My long time Polaris buddy after a 20 mile ride on my old APEX got off with a huge smile and said anyone who thinks that sled is to heavy to have fun on has never ridden one. Enough said.

The phrase PERMA GRIN will keep you laughing every time you sqeeze the throttle.

marc001 said:
The most important item you will need is a good towrope. You are now the ""TOWTRUCK"" of your group. ;)!

Back