• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New TY Tech Videos for Winder/Tcat

There's an easier way for skid removal and no reason to take out the front crossshaft or loosen the track, springs etc., especially if you have a helper. Put the sled on it's side and remove a rear bolt. Switch sides and remove the remaining bolt, balloon the track slightly forward and lift the skid out. On installation we take the small leg of the springs off the blocks to collapse the rear arm and install the rear bolts, reattach the small leg of the springs. A hyfax change is a 30 minute job with an experienced helper.

This Hygear is a fair depiction of the process we have used for thirty years although it has the mountain type skid with front bolts vs. a crossbar.

The spring tool for the short legs can be purchased or you can weld one up pretty easy,

There's an easier way for skid removal and no reason to take out the front crossshaft or loosen the track, springs etc., especially if you have a helper. Put the sled on it's side and remove a rear bolt. Switch sides and remove the remaining bolt, balloon the track slightly forward and lift the skid out. On installation we take the small leg of the springs off the blocks to collapse the rear arm and install the rear bolts, reattach the small leg of the springs. A hyfax change is a 30 minute job with an experienced helper.

This Hygear is a fair depiction of the process we have used for thirty years although it has the mountain type skid with front bolts vs. a crossbar.

The spring tool for the short legs can be purchased or you can weld one up pretty easy,

Could your take the time and make a video with the cross bar?

I’m trying to understand how you balloon track and just lift it out? When do you unhook the front?

What video form Hygear are you specifically referencing?

Also on that tool how does that work on the rear springs?

For me I usually never have a helper and this is what works for me, but I am really interested to see it done.

Last edited:

I’m trying to understand how you balloon track and just lift it out? When do you unhook the front?

For me I usually never have a helper and this is what works for me, but I am really interested to see it done.
We never unhook the front on a Procross chassis with the slide-action skid. With the skid turned out from the tunnel the front arm slides rearward enough and off the bar. If it is a struggle go ahead and remove the short arms of the springs to collapse the rear arm for removal. The slot on the bar grabs the short arm; twist with the handles and lift off the adjuster blocks.

The video referenced is for the 141 Pro LInkage kit install.

We never unhook the front on a Procross chassis with the slide-action skid. With the skid turned out from the tunnel the front arm slides rearward enough and off the bar. If it is a struggle go ahead and remove the short arms of the springs to collapse the rear arm for removal. The slot on the bar grabs the short arm; twist with the handles and lift off the adjuster blocks.

The video referenced is for the 141 Pro LInkage kit install.
Got it. Thanks I can’t believe I have not seen that video before. For just skid maintenance that looks easier.

Got it. Thanks I can’t believe I have not seen that video before. For just skid maintenance that looks easier.
I bought my tool in the nineties; the price is silly now. I bet a person could weld/make one now for $10 and a Mich Lite.

Right!! No one has the darn things either.
I should add that I use a handlebar stand in addition to a rubber tire chock to keep these Procross chassis from tipping too far to the side. I don't recall where I bought it but this is the same thing.

Good video. With that said, I have not been a fan of laying a 4 stroke on its side to pull the track.

I think it works the same way if you just raise the rear a ton. Its the angle of the track to the sled that makes it easier. I do it the way @MrSled does it but I looked that video up right away to see if I was missing something.

I think it works the same way if you just raise the rear a ton. Its the angle of the track to the sled that makes it easier. I do it the way @MrSled does it but I looked that video up right away to see if I was missing something.
You are correct. Raising the rear is how I do it. His work lift is the key. I am getting too old to work on the concrete floor. LOL

I just cut the safety loops tops off for springs. Then no need for a tool to remove short end. Raise rear up enough and skid falls out with two bolts at rear removed.

Back