• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NO LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

DeerHuntr

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Hey guys, Sunday we had awesome riding in Northern Minnesota in the Red lake Falls area. Rode a hair over 200 miles, temps were single digits above zero, trails were nice but there was allot of snow dust to deal with. My sled ran great all day. Put it on the trailer and covered it to go home. By the time I got home it had gotten to sub zero temps, I had never started my Nytro in temps this cold, it usually sits in my insulated garage. Anyway, when i started it it fired rite up but I had no lights at all for 15-20 seconds then they came on, was wondering what the deal is, is this normal or do i have relay trying to freeze up??? Thanks

This same thing happened to me on thursday night up in the UP. Started my sled at about midnight when it was way below zero and the lights didn't come on...oh well, gotta drive it to the cabin. Started driving and a few hundred yards down the trail they came on. Worked good after that, 300 miles.

Same thing happened to me to, started her up no lights so I let her warm up and drove her for alittle while and they came on. I went for a short ride ,parked her for 1/2 an hour started up no lights 15sec later came on. Weird.

This is common in the cold temps. The headlight relay freezes up and wont make a connection to let the power through. Once the engine runs for a while or the sled is driven, the vibration will cause the relay to latch and start working again. This is the same problem that happens to the fuel pump relay when they wont start in cold weather. Best result is to replace the relay with a new one. That way there should be no moisture present in the new one and the problem usually goes away.

It's not the headlight relay. The head light relay only switches between the high and low beam so you will have one or the other at all times. The lighting system is energized by the load control relay. A diagram is posted as a sticky: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=83992

Thanks, is this a Yamaha specific relay or could I get one at Napa??? I see it is the same part number for the fuel pump relay, may be worth buying a spare to throw in the trunk bag. Thanks again

The load control, fuel and fan relays are all the same. Having a spare might not be a bad idea. I would be careful about replacing theses with aftermarket relays. Relay coils, when energized, can store 1000's of volts which can discharge back to the ECU. Most relays used with electronics have a built in diode or resistor to suppress these voltages. I'm not sure what Yamaha uses but if you go to an aftermarket relay I'd want to know the specs on the OEM relay first.

Attachments

• Relay suppression.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 107

Back