• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Burn-Blow by-Theory

sledheadgeorge

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Which one? I have 6
This has been a problem for some and not others. I have been asking around regarding this question that many of you have and have come to a conclusion. Your coments are all welcome.

The cylinder walls on the rx-1 motor are supposedly ceramic coated, thus proper breakin and oil usage are critical.
If you breakin the motor and start using synthertic oil in this motor will the rings not get glazed and cause increased oil consumption and blow by, because of poor ring seating.
I think that it is the synthetic oil that is causing the problem here.
I herd that Kawasaki is having similare problems with one of there engines and that is what they are atributing the problem to.
That explains why some guys that are changing back to dino oil, guys that are using synthetic, are still having problems with increased oil consumption.

Just my $.02 worth

At about 500 miles I switched to synthetic on my RX-1 and had no oil usage issues. I'm still using dino oil in my Warrior, waiting to get a few thousand miles on her before I switch.

I swiched to sythetic after second season I use a product called friction guard whitch cleans the rings , increases film srength to better than a gear oil , procects against heat to over 650 degrees f also protects against water and antifreeze also is a pourpoint aditive so it makes dino oil flow at -45 . I put 4500 klm on last season and used 300 ml of oil . I think the oil problem is due to a rich mixture plugs in mine are black . i added the frictiongaurd after 800 klm . Gained 10 mph after putting it in that shows that the rings were very dirty . Got 9500 klm on it now going for 30,000 .
Tom-RX1

My oil problem developed at 1800 miles. The 2 things that changed at that time were the addition of the turbo and I switched to Amsoil 0-40. I used the Amsoil for 400 miles and switched back to non syn oil. The oil burning continued to the present, 3400 miles. I have Sea Foam in , but only got in an additional 60 miles brfore the season ran out.

I was told that they are ceramic by a couple of Yamaha dealers. Check your dealer and see what he says. I havent had mine apart yet.

jtssrx said:
Ceramic coated??? They are nicalsiled.

Jason is correct. It would concern me if I was using a dealer that said they were ceramic coated.

:o|

That synthetic theory is wrong. I was burning oil LONG before I switched to synthetic, and I only switched because some said it might help. It didn't, so I might change back to Dino this season if I don't get the problem solved, because I'd rather buy a quart or two of dino oil at a gas station than carry a couple quarts of Amsoil with me all the time. Anyway, I didn't switch to synthetic until after a full season of riding, at least 2500 miles. And I must have gone through 4 or 5 quarts by then. At almost 5000 miles, I go through a quart between 300-400 miles, sometimes even less. I usually just check the oil every fillup of fuel and top it off...its usually down at least 1/2 quart.

Jim

I don't want to start any arguments but Yamaha has a totally diffrent coating system for their cylinders. It is not all nicasil.

I just got my cylinders redone in my RX-1 due to a mis installed turbo. They are 100% nikasil & they are also sleeved.

can you give me more details? Stuck with carbon? Stuck for some other reason? Turbo or no turbo?

The 2nd ring has 0 clearance in the ring land.their is very little carbon on the piston.about 600 miles on it.I do like this rx1 though having this issue.no turbo yet.

Back