• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change/flush.

Sidewinder

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Website
www.streettechracing.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX LE
WEBSITE
www.streettechracing.com
My 06 RTX has sat now for the summer, I did oil change last year before season, did 655 miles.USED Amsoil synthetic.
Now its sat without starting for the off season.
Should I use a engine flush additive, run the sled get it hot, then change the oil out?
Or just change the oil and filter?
I have Amsoil again to go in.

Make note to self........................ Next spring change the oil&filter before storage... ;)! MM.

Dont change before. It will make condensation and u dont want to have that in there when u fire up for first ride IMO change in fall before u use it.Per yammi change oil and filter every 2500 miles or season.U dont want that oil setting in there all summer and then ride sled

I always change the oil at the end of the riding season so it sets with fresh oil, then its ready for the next riding season. I do the same for my harley too.........but it gets enough miles to change a few times during the summer.

Just my .02,
Tod

kinger said:
Yeah oil can go bad after 3 months park her for the summer and change in the fall.

It's better to put fresh oil in at the end of the season..That way it sits all summer with clean acid free oil on those shiny engine parts. :ORC :4STroke: MM.

Definately do not let it sit with dirty oil. Dirty oil has acids in it and will pit the bearings. Store only with fresh oil.

Smokey said:
Definately do not let it sit with dirty oil. Dirty oil has acids in it and will pit the bearings. Store only with fresh oil.

Ditto I dont know where these guys think letting the sled sit with dirty oil is the way to go and I have never heard of oil especially new and clean synthetic oil going bad over the summer. Change oil and filter at the end of the season for storage in the fall fire it up and go.

There is no oil pool around the crankshaft and bearings, the pan only has a qt or so in it and is no where near the crankshaft like a normal car. the rest of the oil is in the tank.

Oil degrades just like gas but much slower. In the end its probably semantics and do what you feel comfortable with. No matter what the engine will outlast the sled.

The bottom of the bearings oil would collect. The film left on everything with old oil would have the acids left on them as well exposed to any condensation would react oxidize and do damage. I would much rather the film left on the whole engine or if any pools anywhere when I shut it down in the spring be a film of clean fresh oil.

To do that you would need a external pump to cycle the new oil through the engine without it running as when its running is when the acids can form. By simply dumping out the pan and and tank the residue oil left in the engine will not be touched.

Back