• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change Problem

YukonMP

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Venture MultiPurpose 2020 VK Professional ll
Just doing my second oil change on the 2014 MP. Drained the block, drained the tank, and removed the inlet?/outlet? screen on the bottom of the tank. Didn't touch the filter. Added 0.5 l to engine, 1 liter to tank. The OP-LO flashed with the yellow light steady.

I've added more oil until it read full. Now when I start it the yellow light does not come on but the gauge still alternates between RPM and OP-LO. So I'm missing something here but don't know what. The first time I did an oil change I didn't do the screen. I'm wondering the the difference is.

Anyway, I have faith in you guys so I'm going to head out to the shop and do the rest. Will check back later. And yes, this means I'm still riding.

I wonder if you might have lost your prime. In all the years I've had mine, it's never happened but you never know. I also clean my screen every other year but I always change my filter. This year may be the exception since I did so little riding.

Try this on how to prime:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/how-do-you-prime-oil-pump.32723/

Thanks Mooseman, I'm headed out to give that a shot. One thing that I wonder is if I'm shutting it down too soon. The service manual refers to letting it run for up to a minute but I don't think my heart would take that.

All is well, the first laker loosed today will be released in your name Mooseman, I bet a first for you.

Since we have a nice compact little thread here in our section here is what I did.

removed inlet hose on tank top(correction, this is the vent line to the air box)
removed the oil sensor wiring, removed dip stick
made a bit of a seal with a rag so I could blow compressed air into the dip stick hole
sealed the inlet fitting with my thumb and gave the tank a couple short blasts
reconnected the inlet hose
with a light shining into the tank I started the engine, the op-lo went out as soon as it
it caught and within seconds I could see that oil was coming into the tank.

I don't know why/how I lost prime but I did two things differently this time. I added a small amount of oil to the head and I cleaned the outlet screen. To do that I removed it from the line and drained the line also.

Regardless, this is totally a low anxiety event after you've done it once. Handy for Yamaha guys to have a compressor, I doubt if the blow hards on DooTalk would need one. That IS a joke.

Thanks again TY!

Last edited:
removed inlet hose on tank top

Do you mean by "the inlet hose" the vent hose that goes to the air box? That's the one that should be sealed up so the tank can be pressurized.

All is well, the first laker loosed today will be released in your name Mooseman, I bet a first for you.

Yes it is! I am honoured!

So folks, apparently my mechanical aptitude or lack there of is on clear display. Yes indeed, what I called the inlet hose is the hose that vents to the air box. I could make a lot of excuses but the truth usually works best ... I'm new at this and ef 'd up. I'll edit my prior post so as not to mislead the innocent.

I took the camera to get a picture of the fish's tail going down the hole but both of my hook ups today self - released below the hole, ie. I lost them.

Just wanted to clarify to make sure that anybody that ever has the same problem doesn't try to disconnect either of the oil lines :D

I think when I have to do any work on my machine I will just park my trailer infront of moose's house and open sled hood.
Universal guy magnet.

You'd have to find me first :p

Seriously, I just like helping out. What good is information if you keep it to yourself?

:yam:

I don't think you'd be to hard to pick out of a crowd. I too have to thank Mooseman and all of the others who share so generously on this site.

Have to announce that my season may be over. I made my longest one day run yesterday. It was 200kms there and back helping to haul an outhouse and some timbers down the lake. Three larger sleds did the towing and I was the bird dog, basically towing and pushing. Conditions started with glare ice and I sometimes had trouble getting going myself. My temp warning light came on once and I just stopped and pulled all the plastics off and it was fine. Later, when we were running two to eight inches of slush I put them back on.

Wanted a quiet day alone out there so I bowed out of todays trip and went fishing. I wrapped up with a short cruise to all of my spots and came home. I put on 3650kms this season and I'm still in love with my MP. Hard to call it quits but the ice is thinning and the auger is going down way too fast. To ease the trauma I pulled the boat out and parked it outside the kitchen window.

Sounds like you had a great season but all good things must come to an end. Mine was barely started when it ended. I won't even need an oil change for next season. Next year will be better.

Well mooseman I know the general area. You told me once since I go that way atleast once a week to visit sister.
I might try a last run into cabin this weekend. 3 times riding this year was not enough.
Yukon I am glad you had a good season. I enjoy reading about your adventures.

Back