• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil levels....

klondike22

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 SR Viper LTX SE
Is anyone using the newer oil tank dipstick in the older model tanks that had a sight glass... if so is it accurate? Thankx...

Yes we are using it and it works great. However we updated the tanks because they have baffles in them That help for when the sled is on the side To keep the oil in the bottom of the tank. The dipstick Tanks Use more oil then sight glass tanks.

Remember to allow the sled to get to full operating temperature before checking the oil level. Shut off the sled and wait 30 seconds But no longer than 90 seconds while you're checking.. Screw the dipstick all the way back in slowly and then pull it back out when you check.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/checking-oil.138271/

Thanks. So I’m still wondering that with the original sight glass tank, will the dipstick register too high, or too low......should I just get a dipstick version and see how it matches up....

The oil levels are different depending on if you have a sight glass or a dipstick even though the tanks have the same Physical outside dimensions.. If you just take a dipstick and put it into the old style tank with a sight glass the dipstick will always read low. What are you trying to achieve here?

I feel the dipstick would be much easier to get and check for the correct level...I have a tough time seeing the round metal piece through the glass often and like to stay on top of levels. Thank you.

If you put a dipstick into the sight glass oil tank here's what you're going to get. The oil will just barely touch the tip of the stick when the oil is 1/2 way in the sight glass. I hope this helps.
20180314_193045.jpg

Last edited:
Great! The pic really shows what I was interested in knowing...thank you! I can get a cap with the dipstick and re-mark it so I don't overfill and will be easier for me to see. (old eyes don't see very good at close range with the sight glass). I have been having issues overfilling and blowing into the air box. Messy to say the least.

Back