• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil tank heater

The recall was a night and day difference. I only have had the sled for 2 season so it was past the recall date for the repairs. I called yamaha and told them how i bought it used, have a couple yamaha motorcycles, and blah blah blah and the did the recall for free
before my sled was even slow cranking and would take 10-15 turns to start if it was reasonablly warm. Now probably 5 turns and they happen faster than you can count
Pulling my sled out this weekend and expect it to fire right up

I would say oil is more important as long as you have a good battery. Same as a car. Never had a problem just heating the block. I've seen oil turn to caramel in -30C so imagine the oil pump trying to pump that although synthetic oil should help with that.

Those pads look quite interesting and there are various sizes and wattage. If you do use one on the battery, ensure it doesn't get hot enough to melt plastic. And if you use it on the tank, maybe use some zip ties to make sure they stay put.

I carry a battery jumper box for cars although it is the small one. Have a cig lighter connection on both ends of a cable I bought and I plug it into the battery box and the cig lighter plug on the Phazer. Gives enough boost to start sled and has yet to melt or damage any wiring on the sled. This was needed before the ECU update but I still carry it just in case.......

I bought one of these:

http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/

I gave it the ultimate test. Starting a UTV with no battery in it at all. A test only the best full size Jump Pack will pass. The Microstart failed. However it did start every dead cold ATV with a dead battery in it I could find more than once. 8 times on one charge with over half a charge left. I was impressed and will give it a try once its cold. You never know and its small enough to fit anywhere. One thing I did notice is you have to have a very good ground connection for it to work. One I had to go directly to the engine.

That antigravity battery booster looks pretty handy!
Also what do you think of a inline coolant heater, is it true it messes with the ecu thinking its at operating temp?

stingray719 said:
I carry a battery jumper box for cars although it is the small one. Have a cig lighter connection on both ends of a cable I bought and I plug it into the battery box and the cig lighter plug on the Phazer. Gives enough boost to start sled and has yet to melt or damage any wiring on the sled. This was needed before the ECU update but I still carry it just in case.......

I have an old 4' tie down strap with the hooks removed, wrap it around the clutch and give it a pull just like a 2 smoker.
Works fine.
Fits anywhere, even tool kit box....

jenns05 said:
Also what do you think of a inline coolant heater, is it true it messes with the ecu thinking its at operating temp?

I heard that these have melted the hoses in the past in cars. Maybe also affects normal flow.

jenns05 said:

Makes sense since our Idle Air Control Valve which gives you high idle at startup uses a thermostat to open it up.

I would think the battery heater would work fine. Would be interested in hearing from others that have tried it.

In my opinion, if I had to choose, I would heat the oil. A few times last winter at -30, the engine started but the oil light was on indicating low pressure until the oil warmed up and become more viscous. If it was already warm, starting would be easier and the internal parts would get the lubrication they require on start-up and idle.

Another product that not many have thought of are aircraft engine heaters. I have seen one small enough that could be placed under the engine and it is low enough wattage to let run continuous through the night and not cost a fortune. They are also made to stringent standards to avoid being a fire hazard and are very safe. Only downfall they seem to be expensive - $150.00 $200.00

Check it out.
MS

http://www.aircraftheaters.com/#!snowmo ... cycle/cbo3

Back