• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OK, so I tried the Snowtrackers

bigdog1000 said:
Weird..I bought snowtrackers for my stock skis and then bought mountain skis and they fit fine. Do you have 2 sets of Snowtrackers, one for the Pilots and one for the stock skis? I would think they would not be interchangeable as Snowtrackers are ski specific.
Take out your shims, put snowtrackers on stock skis (way better than dualies) and you will sell your pilots. Just my experience and 2 cents worth.

bigdog1000,

Yes, I bought twos sets from Royal distributing out of Canada. The Yamaha set won't bolt up to the mountains and am very pissed about that. Their supposed to work on any of the new Yamaha's. The rear two bolts are to short for the mountains.

I just aligned skis to parallel with weight on sled, and took out the ski shims on the 6.9 Pilots. Headed out to try again. The amount of toe changes drastically thru the travel on the front end on the Apex. With sled off the ground it's toed in almost 1/4" , set it on the ground and it goes to about 1/8" toe out. Nice engineering. Then you stand on the sled and shift your weight from front to rear you can watch the skis move in on acceleration, ad toe out on transfer back to the front end.

i just thought that with a short section of duel runner to start would keep the runners from following other tracks and by going to the singlefrom under the spindle back would keep the snow from building up and causeing push in the corners, might be worth a try to all those with duelly's laying around who like the no darting but hate not knowing when your going to turn or push thru a turn, just a different approch to look at and see if it works or not

http://www.motovan.com/contact_en.html
Here is the contact link for the distributor of these Snowtrackers in Canada. My dealer ordered from them for me. Contact them and discuss your problem as they may have sold to Royal. Their people are sledders and understand. My snowtrackers absolutely fit both mountain and regular skis.

I can give that a whirl bigdog1000, Thanks. I really would like to put them on my Yamaha Mountains and run the 1" wider stance.

Ok so I'm back from an hour or so ride with the changes made to the setup. Let me say this, and I'm going to say it in Caps.

THIS IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT MACHINE TODAY. RUNNING THE 6.9 MOUNTAIN PILOTS WITHOUT THE SHIMS BEHIND THE BUMPERS, ALIGNMENT FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES BEING 1/16" TOE OUT WITH MACHINE RESTING ON GROUND, AND BENDING THE MOUNTING BOLTS ON THE RIGHT SNOWTRACKER SO NOW BOTH SNOWTRACKERS WILL TIP INTO AND BIGHT IN TO THE OUTSIDE CORNER WHEN TURNING, HAS MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN THIS SETUP. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THESE LITTLE THINGs HAVE MADE SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I have to thank kviper for the setup tips. The real test now will be to see if I can do close to 300 miles a day in the UP next week dart free. At least I'm going now with them installed knowing I can turn and the darting seems to be gone. My guess is the reduction of the heavy heel pressure is now allowing the rectifier to work on front of the ski. Guess I can throw away the thought process on what I've learned to this point with the other runners about darting. These Snowtrackers appear to be a game changer. Now I need a wider ski stance and heavier sway bar! I'll report back on them after a week in the UP. That will be the true test.

Thanks, Mike Knapp

Back to the topic of the Pilots, I just put on a new set of 5.7's last season and I still have the stock carbides in. What are most of you that run these skis using for outer and inner sizes of carbides?
So Bergstrom does offer a setup for the Pilots?

Sorry about hijacking this thread.

Outers just run stock 4" or 6". They are about 3/4" above the centers and don't do much of anything for turning. The centers I like to run aggressive. 8 or 9" shapers. Now using the Snowtrackers. I never liked the Bergstroms and ski savers on the pilots. They just pushed wayyyyy to much and surprisingly, they still darted. The shapers were best for the pilots till these snowtrackers now.

Blue Oval said:
Back to the topic of the Pilots, I just put on a new set of 5.7's last season and I still have the stock carbides in. What are most of you that run these skis using for outer and inner sizes of carbides?
So Bergstrom does offer a setup for the Pilots?

Sorry about hijacking this thread.

Im running 6 inchers all the way around.. ive tried 4s and 6s and a combo of both..

I like my current setup..

KnappAttack said:
I can give that a whirl bigdog1000, Thanks. I really would like to put them on my Yamaha Mountains and run the 1" wider stance.

Ok so I'm back from an hour or so ride with the changes made to the setup. Let me say this, and I'm going to say it in Caps.

THIS IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT MACHINE TODAY. RUNNING THE 6.9 MOUNTAIN PILOTS WITHOUT THE SHIMS BEHIND THE BUMPERS, ALIGNMENT FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES BEING 1/16" TOE OUT WITH MACHINE RESTING ON GROUND, AND BENDING THE MOUNTING BOLTS ON THE RIGHT SNOWTRACKER SO NOW BOTH SNOWTRACKERS WILL TIP INTO AND BIGHT IN TO THE OUTSIDE CORNER WHEN TURNING, HAS MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN THIS SETUP. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THESE LITTLE THINGs HAVE MADE SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I have to thank kviper for the setup tips. The real test now will be to see if I can do close to 300 miles a day in the UP next week dart free. At least I'm going now with them installed knowing I can turn and the darting seems to be gone. My guess is the reduction of the heavy heel pressure is now allowing the rectifier to work on front of the ski. Guess I can throw away the thought process on what I've learned to this point with the other runners about darting. These Snowtrackers appear to be a game changer. Now I need a wider ski stance and heavier sway bar! I'll report back on them after a week in the UP. That will be the true test.

Thanks, Mike Knapp
You are very welcome Mike and i am very glad they now work for you as they did for me. I tried the shim thing also and never liked the way it made the steering feel bound up and heavy. Now the sled is very predictable and i feel safe and controlled meeting other sled's and i can corner with the best. I usually don't post about thing's i try unless i feel strongly about it. The Tracker's make snowmobiling much more enjoyable. In my opinion they don't feel like they push through the snow any harder than a 1/2" host bar or the shaper bar's, What did you think? Royal Dist is a distributor for the SnowTracker's (800)265-2970 for those that are interested. Kevin

I don't thing they drag any worse either. We'll see how they work in the UP on Monday. I could use a stiffer swaybay and wider ski stance now. IT TURNS NOW!

Are you guys using the Snow trackers or the Extreme Snow trackers? I think that they recommend the extremes for the Attak if I'm not mistaken. I thinking of buying a set and would like to know which you are running.

Extremes for me. Bought from Royal Distributing. I wish snowtrackes web site was a little better. I'd like to see the application guide. My Yamaha set doesnt fit my Yamaha mountains, but bigdog1000s do. I don't get that.

Wanted to chime in on my change today.

Until today, I was running the stock skis and carbides !

Needless to say the carbides weren't after 1500 miles, right was missing 2 outa 3 pieces of carbine, nice and flat wear bar, the left had all three flat pieces of carbide still. LOL

Anyway, it's my first 4 stroke sled, first time out I almost went over the handlebars on decel, then had the poop scared outta me by darting and inside ski lift.

I'm a firm believer in that most aftermarket "upgrades" are a solution in search of problem, esp. since most people and/or dealers never set up a sled for the rider. :o| The rider thinks the sled stinks, messes with the suspension, making it worse, and then they buy things to "fix it".

I'm sure that isn't anybody here, ;)!

So, darting, since any suspension effects the overall suspension and vehicle behavior, I'm not so sure that only the skis need to be looked at.

I started by getting the bigger rear spring for my weight, and then kept adjusting preload until the ride quality and electronic shock adjustment was most effective.

So rear skid was nice for me and what would be expected for this sleds design target, groomed trails. My darting was reduced !

Then asked a yami demo ride guy what to do about the darting, I did as he said, lifted the front end so both skis hang in the air, loosen the front shock springs (less preload) until they "jiggled" while hanging. Take out a couple clicks of compression dampening.

No more one ski stands in the corners, almost no darting unless the trails were hard and ski rutted.

SO anyway, today, 1200 miles later I replaced the carbides, had been reading for a year of all the ski/carbide solutions people had tried. I simply went with 8" Woody's Dualies (I run 144 pics single/double/center pattern).

Had ridden 15 miles to the shop, installed them, then did 50 more on the way home. Variety of conditions, groomed flat, whooped and cow pathed, icy lakes, flat snow lakes.

No darting...

and of course it turned much better in icy corners

:letsnow:

No darting and all kinds of push unless you are not an aggressive rider. Been through it all! The Tracker's are the only thing that will give you every thing in one package and still let you run the suspension setup you want for the riding style and condition's you have. kviper

kviper said:
No darting and all kinds of push unless you are not an aggressive rider. Been through it all! The Tracker's are the only thing that will give you every thing in one package and still let you run the suspension setup you want for the riding style and condition's you have. kviper
Like the man says!!! ;)!

kviper said:

Why would you want "all kinds of push" ?

Back