• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OK to charge battery in sled???

Sno Cat

Expert
Guys,
Dumb question but will it harm any electricals to charge the battery via a standard Sears charger on a 2A setting while the battery's in the sled & connected?
I'm curious if the charger will send harmful current thru the battery then on into the electrical system & if that will cause electrical system damage.
The owner's manual does not warn against charging the battery w/an external charger while still connected.
Sure would be nice not to have to take everything apart simply to charge the battery.
Thanks.

You will be fine but only on 2 amp for charging. You could use the charger to boost set on 20 or 40 amp but only for boosting. You may want to look into a buying a charger that desulphates older batteries as well like the Optimate III or Battery tender. Merry Christmas

I hook my charger to the jumper cables and let it go. I use a Schumacher charger and when you hook it up, it will tell you the voltage ouput of the batteryand the percentage of charge left. It also has selectable charge rates for trickle charging, medium, and fast charging.

yes charge it in the sled..... I use a Peg Perego 12 volt charger on my sled most of the summer. I put it on charge for weeks at a time then if I think about it I may remove it for a month then put it back on again.

The worst thing to do would be to let it set around uncharged. A charged battery is a happy battery. The Battery tender is a good one to purchase as it can be left on all the time.

Tod

Seems to have worked fine, hooked the charger to the jumper leads, let it charge for 1/2 hr, 'til the charger said batt. was fully charged & she kicked right over.
Thanks again for the help.

There is now an Optimate 4 available. In any case get an Optimate and hook it up as often and for as long as you want. It comes with a quick connect "pig tail" for your sled battery for easy connection without having to remove any bodywork. I charge my battery this way all the time between rides.

An Optimate will never damage a battery no matter how long you leave it connected. It is also capable of bringing sulphated batteries back to life. It will pay for itself with the first battery that you bring a battery back from the dead.

Back