• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Parasitic draw with Motec compared to normal?

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
I left my 5 yr old battery installed in the sled all summer and never touched it, started it right up after over 6 months of sitting. I start working on installing the motec and left it for 1 week with the battery and Motec hooked up. I come back the battery is dead and only registers 6V. So I am hoping it was a fluke and bought a mega dollar Anti Gravity battery but been scared to leave it hooked up. I finally got my multimeter out and I am measuring 38 milliamp of draw just sitting there.

Kill switch does nothing to change it. I see that normal draw for cars and stuff is around 60-90 milliamps but at this rate it will drain my fancy pants AG battery in 32 days and at which point it will probably kill it for good. I will have to keep it on a maintainer which I have purchased but there are times when it wont be near a outlet for 30-60 days so its a PITA.

I may have to invest in a battery isolator switch but I hate adding more electrical failure points. I think it would work fine in storage but pounding down the trail has me worried. I am not babying this thing.

Has anyone noticed how long your battery keeps charge on the Motec? I am also using a PDM from Amplink and I know that adds very slight draw as well. So I have a double whammy.

Curious if anyone has a good idea on how to save this thing (battery)

Thanks!

The Motec A26 shouldn't have constant power to it. It's supposed to be a switched power via the ignition switch which also energizes the relay for ignition system, so the ECU shouldn't be the issue. Start by eliminating that relay, might have a parasitic draw, unplug and check your milliamps, then move on down the line of components that are hot not switched one source at a time.
CaptureA26.JPG

Last edited:
It must be my amplink then. I will have to figure out a disconnect.

I don't think its the amplink, I have one on my bike and it does not have any parasitic draw that I have noticed and that thing is off the tender for months at a time. It could be how its all wired. The amplink should sit there passive until you have switched power running to it. Give the rowe guys a call, they have always been helpful.

Back