• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

? on Bent A-arms- Added pics

nytro addict

Expert
I know we have talked about bent a-arms. Can't seem to find the threads that have been posted previously. :o| Anyways I noticed my upper right A-arm is not centered with the shock. It is sitting close to the a-arm now. The shock spring has even scraped. Is there a good way for checking if the upper or lower a-arm is bent? And what else should I be looking for to see if something else is bent? Any info or ideas would be great. Thanks

Put a small straight edge on it. Also look where the A arm bolts on If the plate on the bottom of the sub frame is bent you have problems. Its the flat plate with approx 3" hole in the middle

Add another subframe to the list. And like the saying goes I have know idea what I hit. So I am a liar. :o| Oh wait the dealers never heard that this has been a problem.

It may just be the upper a-arm, I tweaked mine a little when I hit a stump kind of sideways (yanks bars out of your hands) I straightened it by hanging the ski loop from a chain fall (to twist the arm in the correct direction) then I used an old hickory sledge handle as a pry bar to force things back in line.

The upper arms are MUCH weaker than the more triangulated and larger tubed lower arms My subframe gussets looker great

Well I put a straight edge on the a-arms the upper is all good but the lower well that has a small gap. Man I hope its not the sub frame. Guess I'm going to have to start tearing the sled apart. Thanks for the ideas if any more let me know. Heres some pics

Attachments

• sled a-arm 074.JPG
    sled a-arm 074.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 90
  • sled a-arm 076.JPG
    sled a-arm 076.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 101
My LH side was all out of alingment 2 weeks after I got it back from the dealer.
At that time...
They put on a brand new sub frame and RH arm assy. Top and Bottom.
So I thought why is the LH side out of whack and the RH perfect.
Turns out it was worn out bushings and ball joints, LH side that got put back in at the dealer.
LH side was sloppy enough for me to see the shock was not sitting right.
RH side was tight, (new stuff)
Nothing was bent at this time.
So I took it appart and put in new ball joints and oilite bushings.
Everything lined up again nice and new.

It's probably your A arms that are bent if there's no sign of a tweak in the subframe. I had to straighten things out last year before I had the 09 subframe put in. Use a large prybar, and leverage it between the upper and lower A arms close to the spindle by pulling back on the prybar until the shock is centered between the upper arm. It sounds kinda iffy, but you'll be surprised at how quick you can put things back into place with a lil persuasion.

Yes it does work, just be careful and don't apply too much pressure and risk buckling the A arms. Apply the pressure where there is strength in the A arms, ie. at welded crossmembers. Use a cloth/towel so you don't scratch the paint.

Unfortunately, this is merely a stop gap and the arms will probably move back and be more susceptible to bending.

I bet you if you look closely at where the lower A arm mounts to the subframe, in particular the rear mount point, you'll see that it will be out of alignment versus the other side. It bent there on mine.

Take a pic from the front of the sled so we can see the lower a-arms. It's possible you bent a lower. The lower ball joint ends up moving backward a bit when the arm bends near the lower shock mount. Just look at the a-arms and imagine where it would bend if you bottomed the shock out REAL hard.

Mine looks exactly as your first shock pics. Look closely at the circle in the subframe. I really think your missing the slight ripple at the circle. I had to look several times to notice. Only fix is to replace the subframe. I was quoted at the dealer around twelve hundred bucks. He also said most of the failures are caused loading on to a trailer catching a carbide or crossing a road. Good luck with your replacement.

Back