• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

? on Bent A-arms- Added pics

i am going to replace mine but beef it up before it goes back in i had one put in last year upper a arm bolt came out @ about 65 mph it did a few flips bent tunel everything warn.covered it that time but not this time don't know y but o well . If you r going to play you have to pay been racing 4 a long time bent a lot of stuff just the way it is just fix it & keep on ridding :Rockon:

In early '08 I wrecked hitting a series a drifts at high speed and bent tweaked something causing my spindle to be more vertical than the other. I could see anything that was bent but I knew something was out of wack because the shock spring was almost touching the back of the a-arm. I took a big pry bar and bent it back into shape. Used an angle finder to match the other side and I've been riding it ever since. I made a post about it called the "caveman way for fixing your a-arms" or something to that effect. Anyhow, it didn't cost me a dime and was fast and easy.

I'm not saying this is the fix for everything, but because my parts didn't show any creases I just bent things back.

Well, strapping it down, and trying to pull it with a winch didn't do too much, so I got out a big bar, wedged it in between the control arms and got it bent back pretty good. I guess a test ride this weekend will tell if it helps. It did move my ski forward a bit. But I also put a slight bend in my upper control arm while doing it. Oh well, see what happens. Stay tuned for next weeks report.

When I levered on mine I did it at the end of the a-arms and the prybar contacted on the upper ball joint.

I've used the prybar method multiple times to get everything lined up again and I'm still on the original subframe which I reinforced last year. I'll get a new subframe this summer but for now I'm going to keep rocking the 08.

I've always bent mine how AKrider posted and it works great. I've already done it once this year, lol. I've never bent anything from jumping either, usually snagging a rock, trailer edge ect. All the same things that would total a nun. Only difference is you can bend the Nytro back :Rockon:

Yep, I kinda think the whole '08 weak subframe thing is a bit overblown out of proportion. Of course, I'm not saying things don't move if you wreck or hit something, but more often than not the situation is not as bad as it is made out to be here on TY.

I'm probably going to replace my subframe with with a '10 or '11 model because it is both stronger than an '08 or 09 plus I presently have to bend my right side a-arms back into place after every race. Of course, that is the side I wrecked on and my left side is still holding the proper caster/camber. So in my mind, if you don't wreck or hit something, than the design is strong enough for it's intended use. I think this is the reason why Yamaha has not come out with a recall for the issue.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 92
AKrider said:
Yep, I kinda think the whole '08 weak subframe thing is a bit overblown out of proportion. Of course, I'm not saying things don't move if you wreck or hit something, but more often than not the situation is not as bad as it is made out to be here on TY.

I'm probably going to replace my subframe with with a '10 or '11 model because it is both stronger than an '08 or 09 plus I presently have to bend my right side a-arms back into place after every race. Of course, that is the side I wrecked on and my left side is still holding the proper caster/camber. So in my mind, if you don't wreck or hit something, than the design is strong enough for it's intended use. I think this is the reason why Yamaha has not come out with a recall for the issue.
i would tend to agree,i am not going to say that some subframes don't bend...but,i drilled some marker holes in my subframe for measuring possible bending/out of alignment,when i started hearing about possible bent subframes,and i haven't seen much in the way of measurement change.i have a 2010 frame out in the shop right now to use in case i tweak the subframe,haven't had to use it yet.just got back from a ride sat.and had to straightenup a arm.got simmons skis on mine,and if you want to see how much flex there is in the a arms,pull up on a dry wood deck trailer and inch the sled forward and notice the movement in the a arms,and tell me this isn't where most of the problem is at.i would like to hear some feedback from some of the guys who have put on the front end a arm kits,to see if this problem is at least somewhat diminished.

The stock, plastic a-arm bushings develop a lot of slop as they wear. Ulmer sells oil-lite bushings that will tighten the front end up. You may want to jack the front of the sled up and check to see how much movement you've got in the a-arms.

AKrider said:
The stock, plastic a-arm bushings develop a lot of slop as they wear. Ulmer sells oil-lite bushings that will tighten the front end up. You may want to jack the front of the sled up and check to see how much movement you've got in the a-arms.
yea had the sled up for an oil change,and there is a lot of slop,even in the a arms i replaced early last year,the thing that distress's me the most is the amount of slop that the ball joints that were replaced last year and now have about 1200 miles on them,have.but to keep everything perspective,had a poker run last sat.out of 60 or so sleds,about 15 or so had to be trailered,not a one of them was a yamaha,took some chain cases out,2 or three blown motors,some older trailer arm sleds bent their trailing arms,kinda of a wild ride.

AKrider said:
In early '08 I wrecked hitting a series a drifts at high speed and bent tweaked something causing my spindle to be more vertical than the other. I could see anything that was bent but I knew something was out of wack because the shock spring was almost touching the back of the a-arm. I took a big pry bar and bent it back into shape. Used an angle finder to match the other side and I've been riding it ever since. I made a post about it called the "caveman way for fixing your a-arms" or something to that effect. Anyhow, it didn't cost me a dime and was fast and easy.

I'm not saying this is the fix for everything, but because my parts didn't show any creases I just bent things back.

I wish I would have taken pics last year of my way of "trying" to bend my subframe back. I had about a 12 pack in me after nailing a safe and doing a couple car-wheels..the right ski was back about 6" tied a strap to my buddies pickup to the back bumper on the sled, tied a strap around the tweaked a-arm then to my pickup..first try-pulled his pickup backwards. second try-needless to say it broke my $110 new bumper in two..come to find out yamaha paid for the subframe but not my bumper! wth!! :o|

ericmichael said:
AKrider said:

I wish I would have taken pics last year of my way of "trying" to bend my subframe back. I had about a 12 pack in me after nailing a safe and doing a couple car-wheels..the right ski was back about 6" tied a strap to my buddies pickup to the back bumper on the sled, tied a strap around the tweaked a-arm then to my pickup..first try-pulled his pickup backwards. second try-needless to say it broke my $110 new bumper in two..come to find out yamaha paid for the subframe but not my bumper! wth!! :o|
Now thats some funny sh$t!!! lol

I think Yamaha figures most of you guys are so loyal to the brand name you will over look things like weak subframes. Yamaha has designed the weak subframe for a cash grab, sure subframes will bend if you hit something but many users are being subframes and have no idea what happen? or loading the sled on a trailer. Either way I think Yamaha makes weak subframes for a total cash grab. How can them make such an amazing motor but after 3 subframe changes ( every model year) they still come out with this rubbish.

Nytro Addict sorry to hear about your issues, I remember chatting on phone with you saying something about weak subframes.

Hopefully warranty covers you.

Back