• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

? On Head Gasket Install Steps

Jonny Rocket

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 MXC boosted Nitro
I will be installing 3 stock head gaskets tomorrow and want to make sure I have the steps down. Let me know if I am missing anything or if I am doing too much.

1. Drain oil
2. Drain Antifreeze
3 Remove seat
4. Remove Gas tank (do I really need to remove the tank or can I just loosen it?)
5. Remove exhaust (or can I just remove exhaust pipe joint?)
6. Loosen Delta frame.
7. Do I need to remove handlebars?
8. Remove Carbs.
9. Remove head
10. Slot intake cam sprocket.
11. Put new gaskets in
12. Put everything back together in reverse order.

Thanks,

J

Jonny Rocket said:
I will be installing 3 stock head gaskets tomorrow and want to make sure I have the steps down. Let me know if I am missing anything or if I am doing too much.

1. Drain oil
2. Drain Antifreeze
3 Remove seat
4. Remove Gas tank (do I really need to remove the tank or can I just loosen it?)
5. Remove exhaust (or can I just remove exhaust pipe joint?)
6. Loosen Delta frame.
7. Do I need to remove handlebars?
8. Remove Carbs.
9. Remove head
10. Slot intake cam sprocket.
11. Put new gaskets in
12. Put everything back together in reverse order.

Thanks,

J

Tank has to come out. You need to remove the bars to get the tank shroud off as well (not a big deal - 4 screw and 2 allen-head bolts to get the throttle/brake assemblies off).

You need to remove the 4 exhaust headers that bolt to the head. Remove the exhaust (rear can). Pull the rubber grommets out of the tunnel, and remove the four bolts behind them. You should now have enough wiggle room to get the headers out.

I'd suggest you spray you gaskets (both sides) with Permatex gasket sealer.

Post again if you need more info.

Good luck buddy it is not that bad. Just looks bad with parts all over the place!! HAHA

Skydog

Take your time!! Double check that all of the shims under the valve buckets are seated and won't cause a valve to hang open! Check your cam timing several times!! Take your time!

Well I got the head off and back on. Had to call it a day before putting the cam shafts back in. I am a little concerned about putting them back in. I marked them, but some of the mark came off. Is there any other way to make sure they go back on in the exact same spot? How bad is it if I am off by one sprocket?

Thanks,

J.

Jonny Rocket said:
Well I got the head off and back on. Had to call it a day before putting the cam shafts back in. I am a little concerned about putting them back in. I marked them, but some of the mark came off. Is there any other way to make sure they go back on in the exact same spot? How bad is it if I am off by one sprocket?

Thanks,

J.

Bad. If you arent absolutely sure on your set-up, take some pics and post them. Plenty of guys here can point you in the right direction.

That's what I thought. I will hopefully be back to it Sunday and will post some pics if I need.

Thanks,

J.

Jonny Rocket said:
That's what I thought. I will hopefully be back to it Sunday and will post some pics if I need.

Thanks,

J.

I'll PM you with my Cell#. i'm in the shop all day Sunday and can walk you through a few things if you get hung up.

Thanks again. I have received your PM and will call if I run into any problems. I am hoping the little bit of a line I have on the end of the cam gears will be enough. If I have any dought I will call.

J.

Dont you just line up the mark on the crank and the two dots on the cam shaft up to the lines on the cam caps?

Skydog

Hey, I just wanted to publicly thank Lakercr for all his help this weekend. W/out the help I would have been screwed. He really knows his stuff and can explain it in laymans terms for all us non-turbo minded people. Thanks again Jim.

Jon.

Back