• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ontario ty ride for 2012

I've been to a bunch of TY rides. We don't care what ya' ride, just don't be a jerk LOL. There are jerks that rid Yamahas too!! I'd suggest aan evening meeting before each days ride. This has worked well since Sleddhead and his wife started doing it. General itinerary for the day and ground rules for how the ride will be run. I.E., stopping at road crossing and intersections, what to do if someone breaks down, etc. Get things cleared up BEFORE there is an issue, and you'll all have a better time. Bring your kids! My son has been on many rides and looks forward every yr. to being at the Giveaway ride. I bring him up from Texas every yr. I let him know when he was younger what I expected out of him, and for the most part , he's done OK. They'll make a mistake or 2, but make it a learning experience for them. Have fun, and don't forget about the TY Ride disclaimer. This protects TY in the event something does happen.

Its also a good Idea to have a tail rider that knows the trails and has communication with the front lead rider like text messaging to watch for break downs and stragglers so no one gets lost. If a moose gets on the trail and wont move best to get Sasquatch on the ride for you to get it to move off the trail. He will be the first to tell you Moose and Sasquatch are friends. :jump:

Sled Dog said:
Its also a good Idea to have a tail rider that knows the trails and has communication with the front lead rider like text messaging to watch for break downs and stragglers so no one gets lost.

Good ideas.

On our trip there this past winter we had a guy, imo, who was just a natural at leading, he never rode there before but was very good at directions and reading maps, we never got lost once and covered 650km's in 3 days.

By the second day, I was calling him trail boss as he just seemed to know where he was always going and leading us. Myself on the other hand, well we would still be up there and still lost.

I've got GMRS radios with mics and earpieces with push to talk buttons for the thumb. The head and tail could talk to each other and the others just need an earpiece to listen on updates. I don't know what the range is on Collettes or Scalas but GMRS do have several Km range and they're fairly inexpensive.

communicating front to back is another great Idea. I have noticed that there is a lot of "corridor service" in Ontario and once you get away from the main highways cell service is not always available.

It would be good to have someone that has been in the area a lot since there are a lot of side trails in and around NB. I don't mind hanging around in the back for a day. My brother is not exactly the fastest rider. I don;t have any of those headset communicators but i have some hand held ones...

I could also hang back as my machine is good for towing. My wife is also not that quick and may be intimidated by the large group.

could always split as on other ty rides. one group goes and does serious trail milage and another group does more off trail/trail milage and another group for slower riders. that is always how a ty ride is organized. all groups always have a desiganted lead and drag rider.

i have ridden drag for viperdave and crewcheif and this system works well. leader waits at all stops for drag rider and when there is a problem, they bring the whole group back together.

temiskamnagride2010006.jpg

2008-09season043.jpg

2008-09season014.jpg

i will be glad to tow anyone who needs one or give a hand for people who get stuck. heck i love riding drag and i will show up for this ride, at least on the saturday.

I have never seen that method of towing before. Makes sense for longer tows. I just have a tow strap for snowmobiles but it works well. I have to get a new one since I towed so many with it. Even towed my son's Safari 30Km without breaking a sweat. I even forgot the parking brake on it for about 10Km, didn't even notice. I'll also be happy to help anyone in need of a tow or pull.

AH, Cam, where is the pic with the steering assistant??????

ding's pic did not turn out and the cat rider would not let me take one. both those sleds where towed for chaincase/drive axle issues. did not have a crazycarpet either time. you do have to stand on the skis and steer the towed sled, as i tried without on the cat and discovered it could not be done, even at dead slow.

lol! every one remebers that sx500r tow that was there. heck we towed that one pretty fast as i did hit 50mph in some of the straights on the way to the bar where we left it.

Yes, the Cat was unruly being towed like that, almost like it was being petted against the grain....

Not sure if it's the best but the Tavel Lodge is right near the trail...and the peelers is 100 yards away ;)!

Back