• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Opinions on Ice Ripper track.

benny

Extreme
Looking for input from anyone using the Camoplast Ice Ripper track, both good and bad. Thinking about using one to replace the factory banana over the off season.

track

there's been alot on this topic. i have one and i like it but don't think
your going to hook up, it took a few rides for me to like it, no studs hitting
or in heat exchanger, remember it not like having studs.

I have yet to put one on a big yamy, but have several normal sleds with them and love them around here. about half effective as studs, but extremely durable. likely double the track life, safe on ice and complete piece of mind when spinning over garbage

Ice Ripper

I didn't figure that it would give the same benefit as good old studs. I am more looking to find out how well the Ice Ripper works in the unexpected icy corner or hill. How many miles on them and how are they holding up???

A great compromise between studded and not studded stracks. I have the Ripper XT and while I've only got 3000km on it now, it still looks to be in great shape and the studs are still pretty sharp.

Just enough traction for those surprise icy corners, but again not as good as a conventionally studded track. You can still break loose in the corners, but there are no worries about throwing a stud into your exchanger or creating a hole in your track.

Very happy with the track...get one...you won't be disappointed.

I think there is a newer version out this year, the Ice Attak with even taller lugs, 1.325 inch. Check em out at the Camoplast website.

I have one on my 07 Attak & would have 2000 miles on it, there are no missing carbide tips to date. Be sure to get the Iceripper XT which was the second generation track, better built & sharper tips. I really like it & have told the dealer that I would never have another sled without it. It is likely the best upgrade I've made to my sled.

On icy logging roads I never worry about icy corners & feel totally stable, heck the carbides on the skis push thru the corners more than anything the track is doing. I ran the original track studded up the middle for the 1st 2 seasons & agree the hook up is not as good as traditional studs however the track is much quieter & smoother. I no longer worry about stud damage. In a glare ice parking lot it pulls away easily, can I spin the track yes but so would a studded track. Far superior to a non studded track. For trail riding I think they are ideal, for drag races on an ice lake they could do a decent job but definitely would get spanked by a well studded track. I'm an agressive trail rider on the East Coast of Canada where we get our fair share of thaws which can create icy conditions on the trails. I LIKE IT !!!!!!

I have the ice ripper xt on my sled last year and have about 3000 km on it, advantages of lighter,quieter ok on icy corners lost a couple tips on it this year, the only real disadvantage is i can pretty much spin the track at will this thing has zero hook-up on the lake or icy trails ad still doesn't stop as good as normal studs but still better than no studs, you may want too reduce your carbide in the front as well, i went from 6 inch duals and a 120 studs to a ice ripper and put 6 inch slim jims back on while it has great steering and tracking it's a little to much for the track, i would suggest trying 4 inch runners

Have just over 1000 miles on my Iceripper XT, very happy with it except the fully clipped version seems to wear sliders. It has been a low snow season, so likely this has added to the slider wear. Had 108 studs in the previous ripsaw and I would say this track has equal feel.

Hope it last longer than the ripsaw...........

Ice ripper

The Ripsaw has 8600 miles on it, with all the lugs in place. There are a few that will probably be gone by the weekend, but it has lasted/worn alot better than what I had expected. I used to ride Pol and was always tearing lugs off the 1.25'tracks. Sounds like the Ripper might be the way to go. Thanks for the input!

Wears very well, my tips are sharp and haven't lost any that I've ever noticed....It's not enough traction for icy corners if you ride hard. I'm adding traditional studs for next year unless someone wants to trade for a good track with traditional studs.

I also have an Ice Ripper XT. I find that on all the trails I ride it hooks up great. I came from the stock Ripsaw track with 144 down the center. When coming into an icy corner hot I have had the sled slide around the corner on me but it is nothing I couldn't see coming or something I couldn't control. I had the same thing happen to me a couple times that I can remember with the studded track. The only thing you will regret compared to a fully studded track is the before mentioned spinning on glare ice. It will spin but it will also hook up and take off if you don't leave the throttle pinned. I like the stability it adds when riding on ice or icy straight trails. We have a long straight railroad bed converted to a bike trail where I am from. I am not scared to runn 100 down it and back off because the rear end doesn't float on me. It stays put and slows me down effectivly. If you want mega hook up go with studs but if you want a lighter more durable trail track go with the RipperXT. To be honest I will never stud a track again after riding on the XT. It is like riding on a nonstudded track with the security of stopping, stability, and corning of a studded track. Hope this helps.

i also have the ice ripper on my 98 srx 700...all i can say is that i love it! no worries about putting studs through front inter cooler again!! :o|
i love the way it grabs too for not having studs...i will soon be putting this track on my 4stroke and getting rid of the studs on that one as well!

The Ice Ripper XT is an awesome track. My buddy has on eon his 07 Attak and he loves it. I also have an Ice Attak on my SRX 700 and I gotta say it's awesome. I love the hook up on hard pack.

Back