• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overheat 2014 viper LTX 137

fasteddie15x

Extreme
I was riding in the Up 3/25/18 and my sled overheated it's a 2014 LTX 137 it got over 220 and the hot light came on and an overheat code 217. This happened a few times. I was riding with another viper/2016 LTX and it stayed in the 190's so it was not the air temp or snow condtions. Since it was Sunday afternoon all the dealers were closed, I wanted to try a new thermostat, so I gutted the old one and put it back in as a restrictor, same results. I'm think water pump, looking for other ideas? Thanks in advance for the input.

Is your coolant fan turning on at 195f?
Mine over heated when new. Defective fan. New fan cured the issue.
In warmer temperatures I'll see occasionally 195f - 198ft while cruising in marginal snow.
Then I drop the scratchers to be more polite to the machine. Temperatures go back down to 165f - 177f in less than 1/4 mile.
These engines are much more coolant temperature sensitive before 1500-2000 miles.

Most likely your radiator fan isn’t working properly.
Mine never went over 199 with a screaming fan.
Had 8000 miles on original fan, thermostat, radiator, heat exchanger,water pump.

I was riding in the Up 3/25/18 and my sled overheated it's a 2014 LTX 137 it got over 220 and the hot light came on and an overheat code 217. This happened a few times. I was riding with another viper/2016 LTX and it stayed in the 190's so it was not the air temp or snow condtions. Since it was Sunday afternoon all the dealers were closed, I wanted to try a new thermostat, so I gutted the old one and put it back in as a restrictor, same results. I'm think water pump, looking for other ideas? Thanks in advance for the input.

Trail conditions? are you boosted? If its the sandy snow, it creates a slush curtain in from of the exchanger and by the time the fan kicks in its too late. Next time it goes up to 200 stop and tip it over and see if the exchanger is all blocked.

Trail conditions? are you boosted? If its the sandy snow, it creates a slush curtain in from of the exchanger and by the time the fan kicks in its too late. Next time it goes up to 200 stop and tip it over and see if the exchanger is all blocked.
Non boosted and the fan is working properly 12800mi on the sled

It was 42 degrees on trail 11 south boundary road, clean snow where we were riding. I'm done for the season and hate to wait until the first ride of next year to find out

All I know is I can see temps get to that level when running conditions that it builds up and falls out.. I would maybe do a leak down test if the temp wont drop with ice scratchers and you removed the T-Stat.

All I know is I can see temps get to that level when running conditions that it builds up and falls out.. I would maybe do a leak down test if the temp wont drop with ice scratchers and you removed the T-Stat.
I'm going to put a new T-stat in it, just couldn't get one on a sun afternoon. I'll do a leak down test since I have plenty of time before next season, just to rule out a head gasket, there was no white smoke out the exhaust and it wasn't down any coolant and it ran good until it got hot, and was fine after it cooled down. I'll check for discolored spark plugs.
Any chance of some of the water pump fins breaking off and just having poor circulation. We were both running 85-99mph when mine hit 220+ temp and he pulled next to me at 193 temp

Last edited:
Was the other Viper studded and yours not? In certain conditions studs will help cool a tiny bit.
Neither one had studs. Both have K&N intake and modified stock muffler. The one that overheated has pc5 and ignition module the one that didn't overheat has a pc fuel controller both programmed by Ulmer and have been on the sleds for several years.

Neither one had studs. Both have K&N intake and modified stock muffler. The one that overheated has pc5 and ignition module the one that didn't overheat has a pc fuel controller both programmed by Ulmer and have been on the sleds for several years.
Do they both have the latest flash? Also often times the lead sled will run hotter since its in fresh and second sled is in worked up snow from first.

Do they both have the latest flash? Also often times the lead sled will run hotter since its in fresh and second sled is in worked up snow from first.
Mine the one that overheated got the latest flash the first week of march 2018, the other sled is a 2016 with the original flash.I told the dealer not to flash it but I believe they did. It seemed to start different than before I dropped it off, for what I thought would be warranty work covered under the 5yrs. It was broken chassis part unrelated to running. FYI chassis parts not covered, fix yourself if you can. I would have if I had known!

Maybe a reflash problem?

Last edited:
Mine the one that overheated got the latest flash the first week of march 2018, the other sled is a 2016 with the original flash.I told the dealer not to flash it but I believe they did. It seemed to start different than before I dropped it off, for what I thought would be warranty work covered under the 5yrs. It was broken chassis part unrelated to running. FYI chassis parts not covered, fix yourself if you can. I would have if I had known!

Maybe a reflash problem?
The new flash does have a lean area. With your mods it could be enough to make a difference.

The new flash does have a lean area. With your mods it could be enough to make a difference.

I'm going to look into everyone's suggestions, put in a new T-stat and am considering the evolution 2,5 flash and hope for the best! It's a 2014 and never had an overheating problem and I bought it new! I have rode it in all conditions including 40+ degrees, that is why this surprised me!

I have a 2015 LTX with turbo , Start it in the trailer and left idling . Fan will kick on before over heating ......so make sure your fan is working .

Back