• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OW40 oil

Was the 0W40 more expensive? Maybe its a marketing plan

Yes a bit more for the Full syn but I get a 10-15% discount on all in store items! Makes it a bit more feasible!

So your telling me yamaha gives us 20 years of warranty with the oil they recomend but its no good it cokes there bearings,explain
Google it

I have always used what the dealer that I purchased my sled from recommended.
They recommended the 0-30 semi syn for the first 2 seasons, then changed their recommendation to the 0-40 full syn this past season. Not sure why? but I will say that I have not had to add any during the season. Does not use any oil and that is great. I would not have noticed the difference powerwise whereas I updated my tune from a 2 bar to the newer 3bar, both Max Spool 16. Had I done nothing more then changing oil types, it may have shown. Sounds like I should try a o-30 full syn next year? Plenty of time to think about that between now and next season.
yes they changed there recommendations to the o-40 syn on the motor

People can put whatever oil they want in their sled, but no way no how would I use a 40 weight oil in the Sidewinder if you want all its performance. Apparently you missed the gripe of a performance loss by one of the Magazines where they lost speed after an oil change, I'm certain the dealer put in a 40 wt. oil in place of the 30 wt oil. I have experienced firsthand a loss of power running 40 wt. vs a 30 wt. oil.

Its a proven fact lighter viscosity oil makes more power with less pumping loss. I would not recommend putting in 0-40 in place of the 0-30.

Check this out below.
0W-30 to 5W-40 ??

I remember that post & have never ran 40 weight since.

I think, just like the Apex, 0w-30 Semi-Syn or 0w-40 Full Syn is Yamaha's recommendation

Yep, like someone's trolling.
Almost trolling time as the walleyes have finished the spawn! Wonder if my Yamaha outboard will run better with a 0/30 weight oil? Lol. Had to. Sorry

I also remember Allen Ulmer using a dyno on an Apex found that Gibbs 0w-20 gained 3hp over the 0w-30 Semi-Syn
Your ultimate decision on what weight oil to use really is determined by testing and wear analysis. You want to run the lowest viscosity possible without sustaining excess engine wear. You also need to take into consideration what your bearing clearances are set too. Running a slightly heavier weight oil like a 0w-40 opposed to 0w-30 is not much of a difference.
The very small amount of horsepower gained wouldn’t really be noticed imo. The 0w-40 would protect better when at operating temperature. The 0w-40 really is a win/win situation because the Viscosity Index is higher. This means the oil viscosity stays more consistent as the temperature changes. The 0w-40 has similar startup protection and better temperature stability for increased protection when at temperature. 0w-20 is more of a mileage oil, and if you run it you had better be sure your motor is tight and has very little bearing wear, not recommended for a higher mileage motor 4 sure. Running an oil with a lower viscosity than recommend can really get you into trouble fast. On the other hand running an oil with a slightly higher viscosity really won’t harm you, but cold starts might be more difficult along with increased startup wear. Plain and simple the full synthetic has a higher viscosity index and that coupled along with higher breakdown temperatures make it the better choice of oil for any engine. Especially a turbo because of the high heat the oil will see when passing through the turbo.

Rockerdan after seeing your post I did some more digging into oil viscosity, shear load....
I am now going to switch from 0W40 euro Mobile1 to 5W30 euro Mobile1. Thanks for your info, it got me motivated to dig deeper.

Back