• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer jackshaft questions

Nikolai

TY 4 Stroke God
Have a few questions on the Phazer jack shafts.

1. On the chaincase side, are the splines for the gears the same as the Nytro/Apex? Knowing Yamaha I’m assuming they use the same gears.

2. On the clutch side splines, are they same as either the Nytro or Apex? Will either a Nytro or Apex secondary bolt on?

Gears are specific to the Phazer models, they are not the same as RX-1/Apex/Vector/Nytro top gears.

A newer style secondary clutch will fit, but won't slide on correctly. Depth of the splines or placement of splines in the hub of the secondary is different. I think if you cut the splines longer on the shaft then a Apex clutch would fit (shaft diameter is the same as Apex/RX-1/Vector). More information on secondary conversion here https://ty4stroke.com/threads/the-new-secondary-brain-child-is-done-and-is-easy-to-do.101732/

Thanks. I need to get an apex clutch about 1/2” further on the jackshaft and I have the splines bottomed out right now. Can’t find any machine shops in Alaska that will machine out the splines from the inside of the clutch so I though maybe a Phazer jackshaft would work since the chassis was narrower.

If you can find a secondary clutch from a 95-96 sled it will fit, and is otherwise the same style.
Ulmer is right that the Phazer uses specific gears, but I think the spline is the same as HYVO gears from early 2000 models which use 13 wide chains. The Phazer was 11 wide I believe. I once owned a Phazer and used a hand grinder on a lathe to narrow a 13 wide(22 tooth) gear to work.

@Nikolai use caution in using an older style secondary (circa 1995-1996) on your boosted sled. It will break the button towers off.

I’ll stick with the Apex secondary. If I can’t find someone to remove 7mm of splines then I’ll just move the chaincase back over.

Back