• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Picked up a 09 MTX...

waz

So I picked up a 09 Phazer MTX and have a couple of questions and what all I need to do to get it ready for the winter season. This is my first snowmobile and first post on this forum and have been reading threads learning as much as I can.

So far I've got on my to do list, change the oil + filter, drive train oil, spark plugs, and coolant. Anything else I should be checking over before riding it?

There is also considerable play in the steering that I would like to fix, both turning the bars, and moving the bars back and forth. It's at least a half inch of play before the skis even start to turn. What am I going to need to fix the play?

The other thing I'd like to change is the handlebars, they are really narrow, have a bad sweep to them, and aren't tall enough for me. Can I change the handlebars and keep the grip warmers and the strap?

Any other mods I should be looking into before I start riding? Already built a ski rack for the back and can't wait to get out there.

Steering fix

OFT has steering blocks that will cure 90% of the problem. Contact Upbushman on here, he sells a bushing kit that should help with the rest. I have yet to do these mods but they are on the list.

The steering blocks are $40.99 but they are out of stock at the moment.

Happy riding. :yam:

Depending on your driving style I would recommend you buy betterboards, alot stiffer, better grip and less ice/snow build up.

I bought a OFT bushing. it removed all the back forth up down "play" and u can feel it is tighter, though the steerign before the skis move wasn´t a big improvement

If you play on hills alot, leave the gearing alone. If your a flatlander that rides both on and off trail swap the upper 17 tooth gear in the chaincase for a 19 tooth or you will run out of top end speed pretty quick on trails.

Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to be using the sled to go up forest service roads to go skiing with, almost like a mountain sled without trying to hill climb and high mark. Hopefully get up to some pretty high elevations, although at a logging road grade.

I'll check out the OFT blocks too

So started pulling everything apart to get it ready for the new bushings and oil filter change while I got it a part like this anything else I should be looking for?

To change the spark plugs do you have to remove the gas tank? Looks like I have too...

Also have a look on the left cylinder underneath the carb, looks to be some oil leaking out? something to be concerned with? When I transported the sled home after buying it there was a liquid in the box of my truck, thought it was coolant but maybe it was oil?

Attachments

• PB081218 copy.jpg
    PB081218 copy.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 83
  • PB081220 copy.jpg
    PB081220 copy.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 79
If it was ever rolled on it top for long it may have leaked oil through the breather into the airbox and then onto engine.

Back