• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Thanks for the info! I can't get 6.9s shipped to Canada so I'm going to try snow trackers on the curves since I have them and might get a set of those 7.4 pilots if I can get a look at them in person.
Expedition 2020 le has the 7,4 ski

Are you guys using the Semi Aggressive or the Aggresive Snow Trackers. I have the 6.9 Pilots with the Ace Bar but I am looking to go back to my Yamaha skis and try Snow Trackers. I am also adding the MPS power steering.

I'd also like to know if you're using semi-aggressive or the aggressive snow trackers on the curves?

So, I installed my 6.9 Pilot this weekend on my 2020. I was a bit 'tired' from a Christmas party the night before so I wanted to share a few 'lessons' if they help make things go more smoothly for the next guy who, like me, may never have done this. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

1. I am not sure if the 2020 spindle assembly is slightly wider than previous years, but there is no way to get a washer on the inside of the outer edge of the ski where you have turned the ski bushing around. I even tried a 0.05" fender washer and it wasn't happening. Finally took the bushing that ran through the spindle out to size it and it is very tight just on its own. There is good metal to metal to metal contact between the spindle bushing and the ski bushing plus the plastic 'washer' that inserts between the spindle and the ski so I am not so worried about it wearing the ski without an additional shoulder on the inside of the ski that the washer would have provided.

2. If your dealer, like mine, set your machine up with the skis in the narrow position, make sure to account for that with the ski rubbers (turn them around) if following this thread or you may throw wrenches and swear uncontrollably while trying to get the stock rubbers to fit backwards (this only applies if switching to the wider stance).

3. This was the first set of skis I have changed and had the rubbers this tight. I found the best way to get the bolts in was to jack the front of the sled up and put the center keel of the 6.9 on a dolly with a 'V', align the outer hole with an awl/punch and start the bolt. Then, jack it up again and move the flat part of the dolly to the inside of the ski and lower so that the force twists the ski in towards the middle of the machine. Some minor alignment again with the awl and it should go right through. Could probably accomplish this with a couple of scrap pieces of wood if you don't have dollies.

4. When I put mine on, I installed Rouski wheels for the 6.9 Pilot as well. To install these, you will have to install the skis in the wide position. You will also need to reverse the little plastic piece on the end of the handle or it will not clear the outer convex profile of the spindle to engage the wheels. You will have to come up with a solution to protect the painted Rouski parts from marring each other (plastic prevents this in stock form) in the retracted position if you care about that. Also, use the Rouski Ski bolts. They are considerably longer so that you can install the 'stop' on the inside of the ski to prevent the wheel from going to far when engaged. The Yamaha ones are just not long enough and you will have to take them out and reinstall the Rouski ones anyway. An alternative to this is to read the directions prior to starting.

So, I installed my 6.9 Pilot this weekend on my 2020. I was a bit 'tired' from a Christmas party the night before so I wanted to share a few 'lessons' if they help make things go more smoothly for the next guy who, like me, may never have done this. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

1. I am not sure if the 2020 spindle assembly is slightly wider than previous years, but there is no way to get a washer on the inside of the outer edge of the ski where you have turned the ski bushing around. I even tried a 0.05" fender washer and it wasn't happening. Finally took the bushing that ran through the spindle out to size it and it is very tight just on its own. There is good metal to metal to metal contact between the spindle bushing and the ski bushing plus the plastic 'washer' that inserts between the spindle and the ski so I am not so worried about it wearing the ski without an additional shoulder on the inside of the ski that the washer would have provided.

2. If your dealer, like mine, set your machine up with the skis in the narrow position, make sure to account for that with the ski rubbers (turn them around) if following this thread or you may throw wrenches and swear uncontrollably while trying to get the stock rubbers to fit backwards (this only applies if switching to the wider stance).

3. This was the first set of skis I have changed and had the rubbers this tight. I found the best way to get the bolts in was to jack the front of the sled up and put the center keel of the 6.9 on a dolly with a 'V', align the outer hole with an awl/punch and start the bolt. Then, jack it up again and move the flat part of the dolly to the inside of the ski and lower so that the force twists the ski in towards the middle of the machine. Some minor alignment again with the awl and it should go right through. Could probably accomplish this with a couple of scrap pieces of wood if you don't have dollies.

4. When I put mine on, I installed Rouski wheels for the 6.9 Pilot as well. To install these, you will have to install the skis in the wide position. You will also need to reverse the little plastic piece on the end of the handle or it will not clear the outer convex profile of the spindle to engage the wheels. You will have to come up with a solution to protect the painted Rouski parts from marring each other (plastic prevents this in stock form) in the retracted position if you care about that. Also, use the Rouski Ski bolts. They are considerably longer so that you can install the 'stop' on the inside of the ski to prevent the wheel from going to far when engaged. The Yamaha ones are just not long enough and you will have to take them out and reinstall the Rouski ones anyway. An alternative to this is to read the directions prior to starting.

Why didn't you just swap the rubbers from one ski to another when widening out the front end? You wouldn't have to flip them around then.

Is anyone using Woody’s Slim Jim dual carbides on the Pilot skis and if so how do you like them? I followed the recommendations and put 8 inch Executive carbides on but am have some darting issues. I am thinking that this will help this.

I'm loving the 6.9 pilots with 8" ace bar all around. It's on rails no matter what the conditions. Sure they dart a bit, but not as bad as curves without leading edge. Tried tracker on my curves for one ride last year 1000km. But they push in some conditions where the pilots dig right in. I'll take a bit of darting if it means I can rail the corners with confidence!

Back