• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

pilot skis

swmichvector

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 NYTRO
i think i want pilot skis i know that the carbides and hoops are extra. i think i am going with the 6.9's. my questions are 1 are all the pilot skis double runners? cause that's what i want. 2 what rubber do you use between the spindle and the ski? 3 what else will i need? 4 who has the best deal?

I've heard Pioneer Performance has a good deal on them. They're dual runner but not in the same sense of a Duece Bar or Slim Jim/Dooly.

I would ask around about the differences between the 5.7 (?) and 6.9 for your riding style.

Groomerdriver said:
I've heard Pioneer Performance has a good deal on them. They're dual runner but not in the same sense of a Duece Bar or Slim Jim/Dooly.

I would ask around about the differences between the 5.7 (?) and 6.9 for your riding style.
i read that they are the same on the trail. the 6.9's are better in the deep stuff. looks like pioneer has a complete set for $349. does not say if they are 5.7 or 6.9 :-o

swmichvector said:
Groomerdriver said:

i read that they are the same on the trail. the 6.9's are better in the deep stuff. looks like pioneer has a complete set for $349. does not say if they are 5.7 or 6.9 :-o

Have heard the same about the 6.9's being better in the deep stuff. Never heard about the trails but then again I've never really searched this out.

As I understand the Pioneer kit gives you everything you need.

your yamaha loops can fit on the pilots, just have to grind a bit of the loop as it is too wide where the bolt goes through.

rancidjo said:
your yamaha loops can fit on the pilots, just have to grind a bit of the loop as it is too wide where the bolt goes through.
if the snow sticks around i am going to order the complete kit from pioneer.

hey i got pilot 5.7 on my ski doo i love them they track straight its point and go no pushing corners. to get carbides for them the cheapest spot i could find was royal distributing in canada. I got a rage too lol so those r my two sleds i got kimpex arrow skis on my rage and like them not sure if there as good as the 5.7 the only differance between the pilot 5.7 and 6.9 is width i do believe.

Not all Pilot skis come drilled for two runners. The skis are identified as Sport and Performance and I cant remember which one comes drilled for only the center runner. If the ski bottom only has holes for the center runner, all you have to do is drill 2 holes for the outside runner mounting studs in each ski. G.B.

What rubbers are you guys using on your RS sleds. I see people are using SKIDOO zx rubbers some are using slydog rubbers for the newer nytro but what work for the RS series sleds ...

I just order Pilot skis from:
http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/
These are the sport pilots which are single runner but are identical to the dual runner performance pilot skis minus the holes for the outer bar. I talked to Bruce at Pioneer Performance and he said they are designed so that they can be drilled out to except the outer bar. I ordered 4" Studboy shapers for the center and 4" Bombardier Ski-Doo bars for the outers. These are going on my 08 Nytro so the rubber stopper listed might not work on a RS. When I get them I'll see how they fit my 05 Vector spindles.

Order:
Qty. Part Number Product Name Price
---- ----------- ------------ ---------- ----------
1 505072479 PILOT SKIS $78.84
1 505072478 PILOT SKIS $78.84
2 506151233 Skidoo - STOPPER $19.98
Free shipping!

I thought Tork said he was using that same part number stopper on his apex and I thought the Apex and Vector spindles were about the same in shape...I know the number has been updated with a new part number so I guess I will try them on my 08 pilots and make them fit one way or another....

pilot 5.7 ski's

I had darting issues with my 2008 vector with factory ski's. I put the pilot 5.7 with dual runners and coundn't be happier. No more darting of fishtaliing when slowing down.

Verdict is in. Have 5.7 Pilot dual carbides on one sled and SnowTrackers with stock skis on the other. Hands down the winner is the SnowTrackers. Absolutely no darting and I mean none, and corners like its on rails. However, don't know how long they will last as of yet. Best bang for the buck!

I ran pilots for 2 years and loved them.... except in powder... they didn't steer that well in the deep stuff. This year I went back to stock skis with snow trackers and must say I'm impressed. However, one area that the pilots seem to excel is on a freshly groomed trail that hasn't set up yet. I found the pilots with their deep keel packed more snow and pushed less. I am running the semi-extreme snow trackers now so that might be the diference

I found that both these setups require different tow. The stockers with snow trackers work best at 0 tow but the pilots seem to work best towed out 1/4". With the pilots set to 0 tow, they seemed to dart a bit and the sled would sway a bit under hard deceleration. To adjust the tow, I just turned each outer tie-rod end in one full turn.

Brad

Back