• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Piston failure - 2011 Apex MCX 290

Every 2011+ motor that I've taken apart running 14+ pounds of boost with stock pistons has had cracked pistons. If you're going to turn the boost up if you get 2500 miles on your motor I'd pull it apart and either put the older pistons in it, or aftermarket low compression pistons in it. The new pistons are not as strong as the older ones- never seen and older one cracked, even running 20 pounds.

Every 2011+ motor that I've taken apart running 14+ pounds of boost with stock pistons has had cracked pistons. If you're going to turn the boost up if you get 2500 miles on your motor I'd pull it apart and either put the older pistons in it, or aftermarket low compression pistons in it. The new pistons are not as strong as the older ones- never seen and older one cracked, even running 20 pounds.

Hi, i also have a problem with my apex 2011 mod. i have mcx 290 kit on it, i will change to piston from a 2008 apex. i am wondering if i can use rods also from 2008? they should fit in if you can use piston from older apex.

Considering upgrading my sled with rods and pistons with regard to this but how common is it? I mostly cruise around and sometime hit the throttle...

Considering upgrading my sled with rods and pistons with regard to this but how common is it? I mostly cruise around and sometime hit the throttle...
Are you on Apex? I wouldn't run an 11 without a upgraded motor. However my trips are limited and I have to trailer so breakdowns just kill my trips. So I start out with the best 'trusted' opinions and hope for the best lol

Are you on Apex? I wouldn't run an 11 without a upgraded motor. However my trips are limited and I have to trailer so breakdowns just kill my trips. So I start out with the best 'trusted' opinions and hope for the best lol
Yepp, 2012 with MCX 315.

The MCX kits seem really good but if it was me I would bite the bullet and swap them. That said if I rode from my home and wasn't worried about it breaking down and leaving me, I would maybe consider riding it until it broke then fix and upgrade everything.

The MCX kits seem really good but if it was me I would bite the bullet and swap them. That said if I rode from my home and wasn't worried about it breaking down and leaving me, I would maybe consider riding it until it broke then fix and upgrade everything.
Thanks for the input!

The only worry with that would be if the breakdown scores the bore of the engine, add machining costs to re-Nikasil the cylinders and its $$$

Although I think most cracked pistons don't completely self destruct, it would have to be cracked a long time and probably some poor fuel before it would epically shatter.

Back