• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pros and cons of the different helmet styles?

jthomp

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 Phazer
Yes I see the two threads about helmets but they about specific styles. Reading those two actually made me want to make this thread.

I've done some searching & didn't find enough of what I was looking for.
I thought this could be a good topic of discussion for what you feel is the best lid.

Include the style of riding you do; Typical distance; Temperatures & how your lid is affected by them; as well as why you like it vs others you've worn.

My reason for posting this topic is I started riding last year (07 Phazer w/no windshield) & I got all my own gear except the helmet. Everyone I ride with uses an electric shield. The cord looks like a pain to deal with, so I'm not sure if I want to go that route or not. Thinking strongest about sno cross, but also looking at BV2S (just don't think I want to spend that much). Oh & 95% of my riding is on the trail, but if I get the chance to I'll jump off trail too.

i wear a modular - the cord is a pain, but not as much as fog or ice inside your shield. moto with goggles work good, but i think if it get's cold they are uncomfortable.

woolyviper said:
i wear a modular - the cord is a pain, but not as much as fog or ice inside your shield. moto with goggles work good, but i think if it get's cold they are uncomfortable.

That's the problem with Moto helmets.... When it gets real, real cold, they get real, real uncomfortable........... They are cold as heck. This is from experience I speak.....

With a good modular helmet you should NOT need a heated shield. My Mod II has no issues with fogging at all. The only reason for a heated shield is to reduce fogging, not to keep your face warm. If your helmet works well and doesn't fog, then you DO NOT need a heated shield...

I've tried to explain this to my Doo riding Bro in law and his HJC with a heated shield --- if he'd just buy a helmet that worked right, he would not need a heated shield!!!! he evidently does not get it.....

Mike

mntvipermn said:
woolyviper said:

That's the problem with Moto helmets.... When it gets real, real cold, they get real, real uncomfortable........... They are cold as heck. This is from experience I speak.....

With a good modular helmet you should NOT need a heated shield. My Mod II has no issues with fogging at all. The only reason for a heated shield is to reduce fogging, not to keep your face warm. If your helmet works well and doesn't fog, then you DO NOT need a heated shield...

I've tried to explain this to my Doo riding Bro in law and his HJC with a heated shield --- if he'd just buy a helmet that worked right, he would not need a heated shield!!!! he evidently does not get it.....

Mike

My point to you, to answer your specific question is that in freezing cold temps, modular helmets work the best. They just do. This applies to long distance riding or short. The key is to find one that fits right and works so that it WILL NOT FOG UP...... If it fits and works right, it will not fog and hence, you won't need a heated shield.....

In warmer temps, wear whatever you prefer for comfort, as it really does not matter. You will have less condensation from your breath and sweat, so you won't fog up as much. But on those -20 degree days, you really need a warm, Mod helmet that adequately dissapates your breath and sweat, so no fogging. The only way to learn this is by trial and error out on the trail. But my Mod II helmet does not fog. I've heard the BVS2 is also really, really good.

Mike

I ride with a moto-style helmet and the cold doesn't bother me, even at -30F. I find that with good goggles, a snout box and balaclava your head is well protected from the elements.

I find the benefits of the moto-style helmet to be: it's easy to carry a change of goggles - tinted and clear - for various conditions, fogging is never an issue, the visor is nice for protecting against sun glare and roosted snow, being able to remove the snout box and balaclava is a plus on warm days and they look way cooler too, which is big when trying to score with trail babes. On the downside is the wind noise, although this may be a helmet specific issue.

I ride mostly trail, but occassionally off trail, in Nova Scotia, Newbrunswick, and Newfoundland. Last year I put on 3600 km (2200 miles) in temps that ranged from 5+ celsius to -20 celsius without any shield/glasses fogging. I have tried several lids and glasses fogged within minutes. The one I like the most is the Modular2 from Bombardier. I discouvered that if I wear the lid with a balaclava my glasses would fog but if I just wear a neck warmer there is no fogging what so ever and have never been cold. They are a little expensive but not as much as the BVS2. Tend to be a little heavy as well but you get used to it. You also need to flip the sheild open as soon as you stop or it will fog. It uses the air movement past the holes in the chin piece to remove the moist air from the helmet. I would not use any other helmet since trying the Modular2. Hope this helps. :letsnow:

arteeex said:
I ride with a moto-style helmet . . . . . they look way cooler too, which is big when trying to score with trail babes.

This is true, of course. You gots to look good for the ladies. But how can they see you when you fly by at 90 or so on the Nytro, Arteeex?

BTW, if you ever get to these parts or up the shore, give me a shout!

Mike

Oh, they see me. My imagination tells me so.

I ride the Shore practically every weekend during the season, usually from Silver Bay (sometimes from Two Harbors) and north. The weekends I'm not on the Shore, I'm in the UP or northern WI.

arteeex said:
Oh, they see me. My imagination tells me so.

I ride the Shore practically every weekend during the season, usually from Silver Bay (sometimes from Two Harbors) and north. The weekends I'm not on the Shore, I'm in the UP or northern WI.

Those are my jumping off points also!!!!!! I like leaving from Beaver Bay or Finland and heading due Norht for the deep snow.........

Now that I've completely hi-jacked this very useful thread!

:Rockon: :4STroke: :jump: :flag: :letsnow:

How do these different helmets react to rainy/drizzly conditions? When I load the trailer I won't plan on that happening, but a 400 mile road trip means I'm ridin'.

jthomp said:
How do these different helmets react to rainy/drizzly conditions? When I load the trailer I won't plan on that happening, but a 400 mile road trip means I'm ridin'.

The rain/drizzle will freeze on your visor if its cold enough. Ive had that problem a lot where I ride, I'm probably going to get a heated shield this season. IMO the heated shield is worth the hassle.

I have a Full face HJC.Wear glasses most of time also.With my big windshield it never fogs but after a rollover and broken windshield one night it fogged/iced badly.Got heated shield for it and no more issues even without windshield.

I've worn both in the past. I have a zeus modular right now that I've worn exclusively for the last 2 seasons, and I really like it as far as full face helmets go. This year though I'm going to switch back over to a moto style for almost all of my riding, simply because I can see better with that style helmet, and I like having the visor and the option of tinted goggles for sunny days. I'll keep the modular handy for the really cold days. No big deal for me to throw an extra helmet in the truck.

One major thing that hasn't been covered yet would be weight. I've had HJC non-modular, HJC modular, G-Max Modular, and now have a Cat non-modular. I do require a heated shield with the Cat as I have with every other helmet before. I am what they refer to as a sweater, and not the kind you wear. Last year for the last trip I decided to try my HJC MX helmet since it was warmer (March). All I can say is that the weight difference was amazing. I have a visor on my Cat helmet but it's not quite as large. With that you will get a bit more wind pull from it, so you have to learn how to position your head to make it neutral. Not a big deal, besides you’re not riding a land speed machine anyway. I've often heard that the peripheral vision is better with the Moto style, I'm not sure I agree but that could be due to the goggles I use. For me the weight, fog free with no cords, ability to change lens without carrying a large shield. Plus the lower expense. I've heard that the Klim, are good but if you have a weird shaped head it may not stay put. Also check out the Fly's. I think the main thing would be to go and try a few on. Also with Moto style helmets, you may want a face guard for the cold days; also I heard both good and bad about wearing clava's so you may want to try both.

Well if nothing else I've add fifteen more questions for ya! ;)!

Had a motocross style helmet with goggles and the top goggle vents would get covered with snowdust and fog up the lenses.

I use a HJC helmet with a heated visor.
I don't use the heated visor until it gets below zero temps.
99.9% of my riding I don't have the cord hooked up.
I see people using heated shields with the cords plugged in when its above 32F temps.
Sleet and heavy snow conditions are also times when I need a heated shield available.
Long trip home scraping a shield every 10 seconds.
No fun and very unsafe if you can't see.

If you find something that works for you then use it.

Some sleds don't have a plug for the shield cord much less a place to store a cord unless you add a plug and some handlebar bag or something.

Back