• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Put my mind at ease.

Rerhardt

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper
I have a new to me 15 viper, I have done extensive amount of updates, but have not looked at the starter, sled starts just fine. How many sleds out there actually never had a starter motor issue??? Should I look into it for piece of mind???? Also through my research it seams that it is an exceptable practice to hold the key a bit longer to make sure engine has started without damage to starter as there is no bendix??? Is this correct, please advise... Rich

I'm still on my original starter. Just ride and enjoy. This site amplifies a lot of problems. There are many Viper owners that never had to replace a starter. Make sure you have the latest flash to eliminate the starter kickback issue, that is what caused a lot of starter problems.

I have a new to me 15 viper, I have done extensive amount of updates, but have not looked at the starter, sled starts just fine. How many sleds out there actually never had a starter motor issue??? Should I look into it for piece of mind???? Also through my research it seams that it is an exceptable practice to hold the key a bit longer to make sure engine has started without damage to starter as there is no bendix??? Is this correct, please advise... Rich
Hi Rich,

I picked up a new to me 2015 LTX LE in spring of 2021 with 726 miles on it and it was cherry. After I went over fluids and standard maintenance I loaded it onto the trailer and while doing so the starter went. I unloaded it and was not looking forward to the job. That being said Barn of Parts carry’s the starter. The job was tedious but not terrible. Suggest getting the manual. There were a couple bolts that didn’t want to cooperate and they were a bit hard to reach, but I was able to do do it, with assistance over a couple hours. Yes, holding the key on until she fires up is a practice that seems to work. Good luck!

Hi
I have 2016 stx 146 dx nerver any start problems.

It wasn't the starter that was bad, it was the ecu mapping that can cause the starter to go bad. This was more so on earlier year Vipers. As someone else stated, make sure you have the most recent flash and drive on.

There are 4 Vipers in our group, 2 14 MY with over 15,000 miles and 2 16 MY with one having 13,000 miles and we have never had a starter issue. All sleds do have the latest flash.

2017 XTX SE, 4500 miles, original starter, latest flash, no problems.

10500 miles no issues,however I just sold it

A friend did have a starter issue on his 3 cylinder Vector, not sure if its the same starter. Anyway, heres a picture of a bad starter. Or at least one that will never rotate again. Even if you remove the center cylinder rod!

Attachments

• 20210222_183846.jpg
    20210222_183846.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 94
Never had a starter issue, but, a couple years ago my sled was all of a sudden dead, turned out to be the starter relay where the battery is located, easy fix and I now carry a backup one, 2018 stock Viper.

I was at the Abbiti Canyon 2 seasons ago, and there was a fellow with a 16 Viper that had the newest flash and his starter died right there. This is the furthest North place in Ontario and makes for a long tow back.

We’ve had to two-up guys back from the Canyon or leave them there, ride back, and drive back up for downed sleds with a truck over the years. If you ride a lot there’s always a good story or two. Lol

We’ve had to two-up guys back from the Canyon or leave them there, ride back, and drive back up for downed sleds with a truck over the years. If you ride a lot there’s always a good story or two. Lol
Someone had told me they knew someone who rode there only to meet The Tragically Hip there in person. They had also done the Canyon. Everyone has to do it at least once.

Back