• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question on HID lamps & ADJ of lamps

rlt

Veteran
I had 2 questions on a HID install,,,,,,,1st: Is it normal when you start a sled that it appears that both the hi and lo are on for a second? When I start the engine there is a burst of brightness for a second and then it goes to normal low beam brightness.

2nd: Are the "beams" headlamps adjustable, the low seems a tad to low?

Thanks gang!

hid

yes and yes to adjust take panel off where key ac plug is then look in towards front and you will see a phillips screw then adjust on page 8-37
shows which way. a or b

Unfortunately, the headlight adjustment screws adjusts both high and low beams at the same time.

The adjustment problem is basically the same as with halogens. The only difference is that halogens use two seperate filaments located seperately within the bulb whereas the HIDs simply move the bulb to mimic the same positions as the filaments. The real problem is the Yamaha lenses.

I wonder if Yamaha street bikes suffer from the same problem? If so, their engineers need to get new glasses!

I have thought that hid lights might be able to fix this but have not had time to try it. Since it pulls the light, it should be posible to change the at rest and pulled position with spacers or grinding on some hardware inside. Inspection says it will work, just havent had time.
In theory, pulling the bulb further in would project further.
This wouldn't take much difference since the difference between hi and low is less than 1/4 inch
if the bulb design wont allow inward travel but can be let out a bit more, you could just space the bulb itself further in by bending tabs or with a spacer.

I think reducing the amount of bulb pull is what is needed to reduce the hi/low differential. I looked at shimming the bulb further back in the headlight housing to change the reflective angles and reduces the differential but didn't feel it's the best option. When I first installed the HID kit I left the shield over the bulbs but later removed them to get better illumination. The differential between hi/low seemed to be worse with the shield removed so I reinstalled just the lower slotted portion without the front cup and was able to adjust the headlight so I have an acceptable hi/low beam. I still think there's room for improvement and will be disassembling a bulb to see if shimming is an option.

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID! I looked in the owners booklet and it did show it as Yamadog1 said it was.

I didn't see anything obvious when I removed the headlight assembly out, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks Gang!

Back