• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question with buying a 4 stroke

hahler2

Extreme
Ok, I'm getting really tired of my old 2 stroke F7. Not that it's a bad sled, I just think that a 4 stroke would be miles better. Anyway, called around to some dealers, and I could trade into an 05 RX-1 for 4,500 at one dealership (they didn't have any Vectors). The other dealership had a Vector but not an RX-1 and wouldn't take my F7 on a trade in and would sell me the Vector with reverse for 7,300. My main questions are:

1. Are these good prices?
2. Which would I be happier on a Vector or an RX-1?
3. Should I just wait until 06 since the new ones are coming out soon and spring order one?

I'm kinda leaning towards just waiting and see what they come out with but I really want a 4 stroke and I'm not much of a patient man.

I would wait to see the 06's before buying now. At least wait to SEE. As for which to buy, personally, having owned an RX1, I would buy a Rage or maybe a VectorM. The reason for the choice is purely a matter of power - RX1 is too much. Now off of an F7, if you feel that going slower than you already go is not an option, then you would choose the RX1. If that kind of speed isn't a necessity, less power = less stress = longer life.

I see nothing wrong with going with an 05.. Ive riddin em... they are AWSOME... Only thing they need is longer carbides and a 13mm swaybar.. and some studs..

I dont think you will see little if any change in the 06s.. MAAAYBEE EFI but no one can be sure..

Not too mention going from a two stroke to a fourstroke...

You will be saving about $75 per 3 days compared to your twostroke... NO OIL... and better gas milage.. I contantly used 2 gallons less per fill up compared to my F7 buddies..

I agree there isn't anything wrong with the 05's, but the guy already has a sled and is trying to decide whether to upgrade. If I were in that same position in mid January, I would wait the 3+ weeks and see what Yamaha unveils for their 06 line up.

I think you guys are right. It's not going to hurt me to wait until Feb to see what's coming out. I can be patient. I think. :D I'm just ready to be rid of the 2 stroke.

Also along those lines, I've never rode an rx-1 or a vector, so if anybody in northern south dakota would be kind enough to let me take one for a ride before I buy I would sure appreciate it. All the dealers in this area are out of them, so if I get one I was going to have to drive about 90 miles. I don't have time to take that kind of a trip just to demo one.

hahler2 said:
Ok, I'm getting really tired of my old 2 stroke F7. Not that it's a bad sled, I just think that a 4 stroke would be miles better. Anyway, called around to some dealers, and I could trade into an 05 RX-1 for 4,500 at one dealership (they didn't have any Vectors). The other dealership had a Vector but not an RX-1 and wouldn't take my F7 on a trade in and would sell me the Vector with reverse for 7,300. My main questions are:

1. Are these good prices?
2. Which would I be happier on a Vector or an RX-1?
3. Should I just wait until 06 since the new ones are coming out soon and spring order one?

I'm kinda leaning towards just waiting and see what they come out with but I really want a 4 stroke and I'm not much of a patient man.
buy an 05 Rage this year and if next year they come out with something better you will still have a great sled and maybe buy an o6 too! :ORC

hahler2 said:
I think you guys are right. It's not going to hurt me to wait until Feb to see what's coming out. I can be patient. I think. :D I'm just ready to be rid of the 2 stroke.

All things considered, I would wait, EXCEPT that if your deal to get rid of the f7 is hinged upon an 05 sale, you might not get the same deal if you wait. Check that out. Also the 05's are gett'n discounted now where an 06 likely will not.

Finally, you don't want to demo a ride, but that is exactly what YOU NEED to do to decide. Don't get impulsive with this decision. Ride one of each, because there is definitely a difference. But if they come out with EFI, then that is worth the wait and the cost. EFI is safer and very accurate and is the way to go if they get offered. Otherwise probably not much else to change and then waiting could cost you in time and in money.

I know that I need to demo one, that's why I was hoping that someone around here had one that wouldn't mind letting me drive it. I think that for right now I am better off waiting, because the one dealer will not even take my F7 on a trade. That may change by this spring. Not likely but it couldn't get any worse! Also if they have EFI that would be great and is worth waiting for. I've only owned one sled without it and it really does make a big difference and is well worth the extra cost IMO. Thanks for all the advice though guys, this is just another reason I want to make the switch to Yamaha. Great support community. :rocks:

Prices of sleds will go up next year... There wasnt many sleds ordered and all dealers are mostly sold out.... So if there is one left you might want to jump on the price...

All the dealers by me are on pre order only...

hahler2 said:
Also along those lines, I've never rode an rx-1 or a vector, so if anybody in northern south dakota would be kind enough to let me take one for a ride before I buy I would sure appreciate it. All the dealers in this area are out of them, so if I get one I was going to have to drive about 90 miles. I don't have time to take that kind of a trip just to demo one.
Join us on the TY Manitoba ride. I'm sure there will be lots of riders that will let you ride their Yamaha, including Mr. Sled.

Back