• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Racers unite

Soo, Matt Piche, Ben Lindbom a :-o nd Steve Tyler, in snocross fun at last some yammies to cheer for.

Had a look back. To the old 08-09 days of the nytro in snocross. They had a lot more success than was acknowledged. Should be very competitive with the collaboration chassis and the 4s powa!

If you look closely those tunnels look like the sno pro tunnels off the cat race sleds, even have the toe gussets on the sides hmmm

fxnytrortxkid said:
Had a look back. To the old 08-09 days of the nytro in snocross. They had a lot more success than was acknowledged. Should be very competitive with the collaboration chassis and the 4s powa!

I can't help but ask this (tongue in cheek) but what is your definition of success?

I don't hold out much hope for Viper doing any better in sno-x than the exotic, tricked out, open class Nytros. Now XC racing is a different story and the power and reliability of the 4-stroke can equalize the light weight advantage of the 2-strokes.

Four strokes took over MX racing because they made more power that was much easier to control. Since snowmachines use CVT's and tracks, the power is easy to use on either a 2 or 4 and traction isn't an issue. A heavier sled is always going to be at a disadvantage in sno-x. The only way for a 4-stroke to be competitive in sno-x is to change the track layout or make a 4-stroke as light as a 2-stroke and still be balanced. I'm happily eat my words if I'm wrong but I bet i will be proven right with dismal sno-x results for the Viper this season.

Well success is judged many ways. Having 1 team with 2 riders lowers exspectations some. Watching them take several heat wins a half dozen or so Victorys and several podiums over the cpl years they raced was impressive considering the feat they were trying to accomplish.

I'm sure you will belittle the results but Doug Henry has kicked #*$&@ on the nytro the past few years.

Everyone puts to much stake in 30-40lbs. The fact is it has always been more the Balance that's been off. The 4strokes have been awesome on starts an getting up the hills on tracks at ski resorts. But lacking in the real tight technical stuff because of balance.

Hope you are right FX. Either way Yamaha has some Nads for trying again. Sure hope they go all out in XC though.
Guys I wonder if those sleds in Video are Phazer motor powered SnoPro 500's? Did they sound like the triple? I didnt think so.

With the front exhausts they did. Vipers sound diff unfortunately. Still sound good tho. And the cool part is the vipers are legal for stock class racing. Would help a ton to get few guys in that class racing

fxnytrortxkid said:
Well success is judged many ways. Having 1 team with 2 riders lowers exspectations some. Watching them take several heat wins a half dozen or so Victorys and several podiums over the cpl years they raced was impressive considering the feat they were trying to accomplish.

I'm sure you will belittle the results but Doug Henry has kicked #*$&@ on the nytro the past few years.

Everyone puts to much stake in 30-40lbs. The fact is it has always been more the Balance that's been off. The 4strokes have been awesome on starts an getting up the hills on tracks at ski resorts. But lacking in the real tight technical stuff because of balance.

Are you referring to their Canadian sno-x results? They achieved one win in Jan 2007 with Malinoski and he left for Ski-doo the next season. I don't remember them doing much of anything after that in the USA except for spending a ton of money to embarrass themselves. You realize those handful of open class Nytros each cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece? They squandered a majority of their race budget on sno-x and came away with nothing to show for it. It just reinforced the weight penalty to the public. The last Nytro race sleds had the fricking gas tanks mounted on the end of the tunnel to try and offset all the extra weight up front.

I rode and raced a Nytro for 4 years and I wish I hadn't wasted my time. As soon as I rode a couple buddy's 2-strokes after a race in 2011 I knew it was time to switch back. I think the Viper will have some success in XC this season but not in sno-x.

Ian Hayden has won one or 2, Yugi has one win on it an probably more in other places. I never said they dominated or were hugely successful just that they were more successful than people gave them credit

AKrider is correct. Robbie Malinoski won 1 race at Brainerd Int. Raceway. Got the holeshot on a tiny track, while everyone else wadded up behind him. Most of the time they didn't even make the finals. I do not recall even another podium in the WPSA National series. It was a money sucking disaster.

rtxkid,
You'll need to qualify what they won. I suspect Yugi won some All-Japan races which is great and all but he got his #*$&@ handed to him racing in the USA. Ian may have won or placed in some small regional race, which again is great, but it wasn't against the big boys.

I've seen some wins not sure when or what or where, there was one that showed Ian and Cory taking first and second over Ross Martin at one track. Again not sure if it's regional national Canadian or Mexican.

The biggest problem the Nytro had in Sno Cross was the lack of talent behind the handle bars, check the great success Malinoski, Taylor and Hayden had after leaving Yamaha = 0. I believe Malinoski has only won one Pro Open final since, end of story.

Back