• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rage clutch noise...Would Really Like it Fixed

Phantom

Expert
Southern New Jersey - Ride Tug Hill & Central NY
As most of you probably know the three cylinder four strokes are known to have a rattle in the primary clutch. The dealers are supposedly fixing this with a shim kit under warranty.
I had my clutch updated before the beginnning of last seasonat 2700 miles, it was quieter but the rattle was still there. I stopped most every Rage and Vector owner I saw on the trail this year and listend to their clutch some had the rattle some were perfectly quiet.
I had the dealer re-shim the clutch at the end of the season at 6000 miles, when I picked it up a few weeks ago it seemed quieter. This past weekend while geting the sleds ready for storage I noticed the clutch was noisy to the point of being unaccepable. I called the dealer while I had the sled running and put the phone near the clutch... I think they though I put it under the hood of a diesel.

They are checking with Yamaha... am I being unreasonable expecting the cluch to make no noise??? Am I begining to sound like a whiner? It is the only complaint I have with this machine and I feel the noise distracts from a very nice sled.

Phantom-- It's annoying but you might just want to let it go. I also brought mine in a second time and they said they put dry graphite lube on it and it quieted down again.

I see you also live in NJ. I myself don't trust the snowmobile mechanics around here. They don't see enough of them. They left my belt way out of spec when I got it back.

At the end of the day you could always try an

well,i think you have to live with it.My nytro has had that clutch noise since new,it getting worse after the sled has warmed up.

Both mine rattle like chevy diesels. I think the cause is that at idle the weights are not in contact with the rollers like Poo. You would think this noise would also be causing unneccessary wear.

PAMikeC said:
Phantom-- It's annoying but you might just want to let it go. I also brought mine in a second time and they said they put dry graphite lube on it and it quieted down again.

I see you also live in NJ. I myself don't trust the snowmobile mechanics around here. They don't see enough of them. They left my belt way out of spec when I got it back.

At the end of the day you could always try an

I take my sleds to a dealer in Binghamton, NY they know what they are doing as far as I can tell.
I'll probably be taking the clutch off and disassembling it myself to find/correct the problem... then I will charge big bucks to fix them correctly for other people :tg:
There is no reason for the tolerance in a clutch to be so loose that it makes the kind of noise these things do. I made some plastic shims for the pivot bolt bushings while I was at camp in February. That seemed to quiet it down a bit but it was still unacceptable IMO. If you slide the pivot bolts back and forth in the towers you can make them "click" I think this is part of the problem.

Pivot bolts have no effect on the noise. Been there done that! If the clutch has been shimmed properly noise will be gone. I have put on 2500 miles since fix and no noise. Its not a faulty clutch, it is a combination of 3 things: Quiet engine, quiet exhaust and 3 cylinder pulses. Clutch is high quality. If it where a loud 2 smoke and a twin there would be no clutch rattle. New technology, new issues. Yamaha, keep building great sleds. :o| :rocks:

Phantom- If you are going to go the trouble shooting route then I can give you some feedback. When cold mine is much more quieter. Warm it up and it wacks away pretty good.

Don't kill yourself though. Seems like you got some decent mileage on your sled. That should have put some smiles on your face. Every now and then I remind myself that if something was made by man then it can't be perfect.

If the O-Ring shim kit job got done and still noisy then you might have an out of balance clutch. When they take the clutch apart, (to swapt the shims) make sure it is assembled properly and then the 3 X marks are aligned. This happened to me.....

You can easily see the 3 marks without removing a thing. The clutch is balanced this way, so it must be re-assembled the same way.

aVenture said:
If the O-Ring shim kit job got done and still noisy then you might have an out of balance clutch. When they take the clutch apart, (to swapt the shims) make sure it is assembled properly and then the 3 X marks are aligned. This happened to me.....

You can easily see the 3 marks without removing a thing. The clutch is balanced this way, so it must be re-assembled the same way.

Thanks, I'll check that while I disassemble it later this Summer :o|

guys, it sounds like your dealer installed the o ring on the compression side, the load side shoud be solid, the un loaded side shoud have the o ring.

if the o ring is on the compression side, as soon as you load the button, the button will compress the o ring and after repeted compression the oring will stay compressed.

HAD MY 05 RAGE UPDATED AT THE DEALER AND I THINK IT QUIETER THAN MY 04 RX. DIDN'T GET TO PUT TO MANY MILES ON AFTER THAT BECAUSE OF A LACK OF SNOW

I dont think the noise is from the clutch. There is a short shaft between clutch and crankshaft, and I think the noise is comming from the connection between crankshaft and this short shaft. It seems to be a spline connection in parts catalouge.

Before I picked up my Vector I discussed this with my dealer. His opinion is that the update kit will make the clutch too tight and may allow it to bind during wide open, high heat running through deep snow and/or climbing. Since I run into those conditions the majority of the time I did not have the kit installed.

Back